• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lodi Police Officer Shot When Child Pulled Trigger On His Gun At Reading Event

Started by Silent_Bob, September 03, 2013, 09:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Quote from: MaineShark on September 04, 2013, 08:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 04, 2013, 10:55 AM NHFTYes, you are correct.  The safety on a revolver is to not have it cocked.

Most revolvers are double-action.  Pull the trigger, and it goes off.  Having it cocked is not a requirement.

It takes quite a bit more effort to fire a revolver from the noncocked position than it does from the cocked position.  If the weapon is cocked there is an intention to fire.
Two actions are required to fire the revolver: an extra effort to cock, and then an effort to fire.
The same is true with an automatic: the safety has to be deactivated and then the trigger is pulled.  With the Glock, with the safety in the trigger, the actions are not separated and therefore a single action will fire the weapon.  The fact that a single action can fire the weapon is the reason that the Glock, safety in the trigger, negates the affect of a safety and therefore renders the Glock as an unsafeted weapon. 

MaineShark

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 04, 2013, 09:51 PM NHFTIt takes quite a bit more effort to fire a revolver from the noncocked position than it does from the cocked position.  If the weapon is cocked there is an intention to fire.
Two actions are required to fire the revolver: an extra effort to cock, and then an effort to fire.
The same is true with an automatic: the safety has to be deactivated and then the trigger is pulled.  With the Glock, with the safety in the trigger, the actions are not separated and therefore a single action will fire the weapon.  The fact that a single action can fire the weapon is the reason that the Glock, safety in the trigger, negates the affect of a safety and therefore renders the Glock as an unsafeted weapon.

But the actions to fire the revolver are not separated.  It's a single pull of the trigger.

Same goes for almost all pistols.  Those with mechanical safeties are a rarity, these days.  The vast majority are either double-single or double-only.

Single-only with a safety is a rare thing, and only became popular due to the 1911, which was originally produced without a manual safety lever - it was only added to the design because the government folks demanded it.

I'd far rather carry my cocked 1911 and rely on my holster and my brain to keep things off the trigger, than carry cocked-and-locked, and rely on a tiny bit of metal.  My brain is more reliable than tiny bits of metal.

MTPorcupine3

Russell Kanning

if no cops had guns noone would accidentally get shot by a gun.
we shouldn't let them drive cars either wwwway to risky