• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Santa came

Started by Russell Kanning, December 25, 2005, 04:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Santa came to our house. I hope he makes it to all of your homes too. :D

Lloyd Danforth

We open our gifts on Christmas Eve. I thought i would fall off my chair when we put a gift in front of my Grand Niece who will be 9 months old next week and she immediately starting tearing the wrapping paper off!  Of course she kept tearing the wrapping into smaller and smaller pieces, but, she didn't eat too many of them.

KBCraig

The world's happiest 3 year old boy is now playing with his Thomas & friends train table.  ;D

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on December 25, 2005, 09:53 AM NHFT
The world's happiest 3 year old boy is now playing with his Thomas & friends train table.? ;D

My teenaged nephew just got an iPod Nano. He is trying to take the songs from iTunes and put them into it. However, I have just learned that the songs he got from Limewire are not yet in iTunes...

So I am trying to direct him on how to do this.

However, he uses a PC and it's a big deal I guess, to do a FIND for the folder of his saved songs, and then navigate to that folder so he can then
add them to the iTunes library to be transferred to the iPod. Geeesh! He keeps telling me they are not in a folder. He doesn't apparently understand that once downloaded, they have to be *somewhere* on his drive.. LOL? PCs are murderous!

Last night we did our gifts at my brother's next door and a herd of deer were grazing in the back yard. We told my sister's two little boys that those were Santa's Reindeer eating to get the energy to go out with the sleigh! They were fascinated! :-)

I love New Hampshire. :-D

Kat Kanning

Pat McCotter

Quote from: CNHT on December 25, 2005, 10:15 AM NHFT
Last night we did our gifts at my brother's next door and a herd of deer were grazing in the back yard. We told my sister's two little boys that those were Santa's Reindeer eating to get the energy to go out with the sleigh! They were fascinated! :-)

Lying to children like that! How could you?! ;D

Better than this one though:

No, Locke hardware store didn't kill Christmas

By Jennifer Hogan / Special to The Citizen
Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:09 AM EST

MORAVIA - The rumors can be put to rest: Santa's reindeer are alive and well.

It seems as though a hunting vacation in Canada has caused a Christmas scare for the children of Moravia.

Phil Franklin, owner of Franklin Hardware in Locke, goes caribou hunting each year in Ungaua, Quebec, and hangs his kills in front of his business before they are processed.

But caribous look so much like reindeer, that some local children are convinced they are Santa's reindeer.

?They do look like reindeer when you are driving by and see them,? said Corey Meddaugh, of Locke. ?I can see how young kids would make that mistake.?

Some children who have seen them are afraid that there will be no Christmas this year because Santa's reindeer are dead and hanging in front of Franklin's business.

Kathy Franklin, Phil's wife, was told that teenagers may have helped spread the rumor, alarming local elementary school students.

?The older kids seem to be teasing the younger ones,? Kathy said.

A hunting party of 10 local men drove 33 hours north, to the Cree Indian land that borders the Arctic Ocean, and brought home 10 caribou that now hang in Franklin's front parking lot. The hunting season for caribou in Quebec runs Nov. 15 to Feb. 15, and Franklin's hunting party goes each December.

Franklin said that all licensing and border permits were acquired for the transportation of the animals back into the United States.

?We hunt the caribou from the James River herd,? Franklin said. ?In that region, hunting caribou is just as common as hunting deer is here.?

He said the caribou do resemble reindeer and he can see how children could make that mistake, especially if being told so by older kids.

?Someone made the mistake of taking them as moose,? Franklin said. ?The next thing you knew, the Ithaca DEC (Department of Conservation) were here.?

All in all, the Franklins said that for every complaint about the caribou carcasses, they hear 100 positive comments on the subject.

Dave Bishop, a fellow caribou hunter, said a little education would solve the problem.

?Most kids do know that they are caribou, and not Santa's reindeer,? he said. ?If a parent tells them the difference, they will know.?

Franklin said that he feels bad that the kids are confused, but is proud to say that because of his hunting trip this year, a 21-year-old blind woman now knows what a caribou looks like.

?Her father stopped by the store and asked if his daughter could come down and feel the caribou,? he said. ?She had been blind from birth and may have not known what a caribou looked like otherwise.?

Franklin said although they will continue to hang the caribou at the front of his business each year, he can promise children they are not Santa's reindeer.

?I promise that there will indeed be a Christmas this year,? he said.

KBCraig

Caribou "resemble" reindeer?  Somebody needs to check the dictionary. Same animal, different name!

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on December 25, 2005, 11:54 AM NHFT
Caribou "resemble" reindeer?? Somebody needs to check the dictionary. Same animal, different name!

LOL - the politically correct must have been spinning!

CNHT

Quote from: patmccotter on December 25, 2005, 11:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on December 25, 2005, 10:15 AM NHFT

Lying to children like that! How could you?! ;D

They seemed to love it.

CNHT

Quote from: KBCraig on December 25, 2005, 11:54 AM NHFT
Caribou "resemble" reindeer?? Somebody needs to check the dictionary. Same animal, different name!

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=reindeer

Yup, in Eurasia they are called Reindeer. We actually don't have them here.

Dreepa

The smile on my son's face was awesome!

I got a NH Christmas.
A porcupine Christmas ornament... that was broken about 15 seconds later... fell off the tree!   :o
600 page book Life and Times of Hopkinton NH published 1890
A framed and matted 1890 Map of New Hampshire. ;D ;D