• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lynch's "green" home.

Started by KBCraig, August 31, 2006, 02:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

If you have enough dough for solar panels, inverters, dual-axis trackers, spiral-cell batteries, and electricians to put it all together, you can have a house off the grid even here in New Hampshire.  The payoff period might be 15 years, but if you're building a house with seven fireplaces you probably don't plan to flip it.

I'm planning to eventually redo my main electrical panel to make room for a generator transfer switch and a Trace inverter, though it's going to be a while before I get any juice from the sun given the costs of a Russian adoption.

Mark

Quote from: tracysaboe on September 12, 2006, 09:26 AM NHFT
Guy's Mark's a troll. He comes back every so often for a few weeks to stir things up and then leaves.

If by "troll" you mean "one who introduces ideas that are not the norm on the board" you might be right. Not everybody likes reasoned and logical debate. Not everybody appreciates truth and fairness. I can live with that.

QuoteHe's that way on the FSP boards too.

I've never posted there.

QuoteI wouldn't worry about what he has to say.

No, you wouldn't.

Dreepa

Quote from: Mark on September 11, 2006, 10:40 PM NHFT
Do your research and prove his hypocrisy, and I'll happily admit that you're right and shut my yap. Until you've bothered to do that, though, it's all just empty accusations.
Fair enough.

Next time I see him I will ask him.
Also every few weeks I will ride my bike over to where his new house is and see if there are solar panels... Maybe I will even talk to the construction workers.

Mark

Quote from: Dreepa on September 12, 2006, 06:42 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mark on September 11, 2006, 10:40 PM NHFT
Do your research and prove his hypocrisy, and I'll happily admit that you're right and shut my yap. Until you've bothered to do that, though, it's all just empty accusations.
Fair enough.

Next time I see him I will ask him.
Also every few weeks I will ride my bike over to where his new house is and see if there are solar panels... Maybe I will even talk to the construction workers.

That's good. I've met him a couple of times because of a job I recently left, and he's actually very approachable. Keep in mind, though, that there's more to renewable energy than PV solar panels. In a house that big he could probably meet his 25% with just the wood. There's also geothermal, pellets, wind, bio-heat, etc. I'll look forward to hearing what you find out.

KBCraig

Quote from: mvpel on September 12, 2006, 10:03 AM NHFT
If you have enough dough for solar panels, inverters, dual-axis trackers, spiral-cell batteries, and electricians to put it all together, you can have a house off the grid even here in New Hampshire.  The payoff period might be 15 years, but if you're building a house with seven fireplaces you probably don't plan to flip it.

If you build a house with even one fireplace, you're not very concerned with efficiency. A crackling fire is nice to look at, but most modern fireplaces create a net loss: any radiant heat they add is offset by the warm air they suck out of the house and right out the chimney.

Kevin

mvpel

Mark, the word "troll" in internet parlance originated not from under-bridge dwellers, but the technique of fishing where one trails a juicy morsel of bait in one's wake, waiting for a swarm of hungry trout to attack it.

tracysaboe

Quote from: Mark on September 12, 2006, 05:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on September 12, 2006, 09:26 AM NHFT
Guy's Mark's a troll. He comes back every so often for a few weeks to stir things up and then leaves.

If by "troll" you mean "one who introduces ideas that are not the norm on the board" you might be right. Not everybody likes reasoned and logical debate. Not everybody appreciates truth and fairness. I can live with that.

QuoteHe's that way on the FSP boards too.

I've never posted there.

QuoteI wouldn't worry about what he has to say.

No, you wouldn't.

I must be thinking of a different mark then. Sorry, my bad.

Please forgive me. You just sounded so simular to him. And he had the same handle on the FSP boards.

Tracy