• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Windsor: "F*** you and the news crew you rode in on!"

Started by KBCraig, March 07, 2006, 03:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Article follows. 'Nuff said.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Cameras+barred+from+Windsor+town+meeting&articleId=aef79ebd-8c4a-4fee-a772-67fa6a420911

Cameras barred from Windsor town meeting

By PAT GROSSMITH
Union Leader Staff

A Windsor man wants a judge to order the town moderator to follow state law and let a two-person independent film crew videotape town meeting next Tuesday.

Town Moderator Patrick Hines denied a request to allow the filming, John J. Valera said in a petition filed yesterday in Hillsborough County Superior Court north.

Hines, when told state law allows anyone to record or film town meetings, told Valera he could "take his RSAs and shove them . . .," according to court documents.

Hines, Valera said, also told them he would defy any court order and that Valera and the film crew would be in the parking lot. Valera said the town moderator's comments were colored with profanities.

Hines did not return messages left yesterday by the New Hampshire Union Leader.

Filmmakers Dr. Peter Lutze of Boise State University and Richard Kahn of Wilton are filming a documentary on local democracy in New Hampshire, focusing on property rights issues.

Windsor is a town of a little more than 200 residents situated between Hillsborough and Washington, 42 miles from Manchester. The town has no police department, no fire department ? volunteer or otherwise ? no school and no public library.

The two men became interested in Windsor, they said, because of an issue in the town involving off-road vehicles traveling across private property. Valera said wetlands on his property have been destroyed by the recreational vehicles.

Residents at town meeting will vote on a reclassification of all Class VI roads, which are not maintained by the town. One of the roads that would be affected crosses Valera's property. Valera said the town abandoned the road in 1927 and as a result, he and another abutter own it.

Lutze, who is on a sabbatical from the Idaho university, said he has been involved in public issues in Boise and is interested in citizen activism.

Kahn said he has worked on documentaries for WGBH in Boston and with the Dartmouth College Ethics Institute on films dealing with ethical decisions made in neo-natal intensive care units.

He said he found it interesting he and Lutze were barred from filming a public meeting when he has filmed inside a maximum-security prison and also filmed a Boston Police Department undercover drug unit.

Valera, who is retired after working 37 years for the U.S. Postal Service, asked the court to issue a ruling in his favor without first notifying Hines.

Judge James J. Barry Jr. instead set a hearing for Thursday morning on his petition.

ravelkinbow

Kat Kanning

Pat McCotter

Lloyd Danforth

Pat, isn't Windsor that secret gem you were telling me about?

Kat Kanning

CNHT

Quote from: patmccotter on March 07, 2006, 05:40 AM NHFT
And JJ Valera is working with the CNHT.

Pat! You took the 'woids' right outta my mouth.  ;)

Another day, another land grab! Yeah and we have PROOF that the town is WRONG.

I guess stuff like this should shut people up who think CNHT doesn't 'do anything...'
Look at the successes we've had just in the last 4 weeks!

CNHT

Quote from: katdillon on March 07, 2006, 05:37 AM NHFT
That's our Rich Kahn?

It very well could be since property rights is one of his pet issues, but I am not sure.

Imagine being told to take the RSAs and shove them? Wow...

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: CNHT on March 07, 2006, 12:38 PM NHFT
That's our Rich Kahn?

It very well could be since property rights is one of his pet issues, but I am not sure.

Yeah, it sounds like something cops like to say to me.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on March 07, 2006, 07:22 AM NHFT
Pat, isn't Windsor that secret gem you were telling me about?

I remember something about Windsor being "southern NH's best kept secret" but since I cannot find it on the archives I guess I didn't say it. ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Saturday, Feb. 11, Concord meeting.  I had my recorder going ;D

Recumbent ReCycler

Quote from: TN-FSP on March 07, 2006, 03:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on March 07, 2006, 12:38 PM NHFT
That's our Rich Kahn?

Yeah, it sounds like something cops like to say to me.
Same here, but only when I point out their legal violations.  Although sometimes they just make stuff up and try to persuade me into believing that the law means something that it does not, even when the law is very clearly written.

CNHT

Well you don't have to worry ? they filmed the CNHT meeting and then did not film anything in the restaurant...did they film afterward anyplace?