• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Guinta: Omega down, Envy to go. Who's next?

Started by KBCraig, September 08, 2006, 02:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Just FYI, I don't frequent nightclubs. Even when I was in the 18-25 range, I didn't like dance clubs or other "pick-up" venues. I have no problem with clubs, but I have a big problem with moralistic politicians who use the power of government to shut down the free market!

Guinta has a good policy on spending. It's a shame he doesn't stick to it, instead of spending Manchester tax dollars on shutting down clubs he doesn't like.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=City+sets+sights+on+Club+Envy&articleId=7001276e-ec34-44bc-8883-6e414877e1f5

City sets sights on Club Envy

By RILEY YATES
Union Leader Staff

Manchester ? The city will oppose the renewal of Envy nightclub's liquor license, the second club Manchester has tried to close in 12 months.

Mayor Frank Guinta sent a letter to New Hampshire liquor officials coming out against the club at Elm and Bridge streets, which he says is a bad neighbor that hurts the downtown.

On Wednesday, the state Bureau of Enforcement will recommend to liquor commissioners whether Envy's yearly license should be renewed.

"The clientele I believe they are attracting is just not in keeping with the positive, responsible future we are trying to promote," Guinta said yesterday.

Carmelo Bari, the manager and co-owner of Envy, declined to comment last night.

Late last year, Manchester successfully lobbied to deny a renewed license to the now-closed Omega Entertainment Complex, after police statistics showed more than 110 arrests at or near the club in a year-long period.

Guinta said the number of calls for service at Envy are also excessive, though they do not reach the historic level of Omega's. He said business owners he has spoken to share his concerns.

"If any business in the city presents such a public safety hazard, they should not have the right to operate in the city," Guinta said. "This to me is pro-business."

Envy twice had its license suspended in a fourth-month period this year for serving intoxicated customers. From January to June, police records show officers responded 137 times to the club. By contrast, they were called 63 times to Omega, which was operating as a bring-your-own-bottle club part of the time.

Clientele of Envy disagreed earlier this week that it was a problem club, as city officials say.

Standing on the corner of Pearl and Elm streets, Joshua Rodriguez of Methuen, Mass., said he comes to Envy about once a week, since it's about the same as driving to clubs in Boston.

"It's a good spot," the 31-year-old Rodriguez said, gesturing toward the rope line. "Look at all the bouncers out there."

When fights break out, "they get right on it," he said. "Really quick."

The enforcement bureau's recommendation will be presented during the liquor commission's regular meeting in Concord.

Deputy Chief Randall Avery said no decision has been made. The commission could vote Wednesday or take the matter under advisement, he said.

If denied, the club can appeal and request a public hearing, Avery said.

The club's license expires Sept. 30. Guinta will officially announce his opposition today.

Lloyd Danforth

FrankChodorov

KBCraig

Apparently the NH Liquor Board is taking orders directly from "Governor" Guinta. They are refusing to renew Envy's license.

Again: Who's next?

You'd think they'd figure out that the more you restrict the marketplace for something that is in demand, the more the demand will flock to the remaining outlets. If "nightclubs" are bad and bring crime, then shutting down nightclubs means the crime and bad behavior will get even more concentrated at the remaining clubs.

aries

Shall issue liquor licensing after certain conditions have been met... or shall-issue renewal after x years.

KBCraig

slim