• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Postal Civil Disobedience

Started by MaineShark, May 10, 2007, 06:51 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

People who go into US Post Offices are probably familiar with the signs that tell you not to bring firearms, and list a statute...

QuoteSec. 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in
a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to
do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1
year, or both.

Of course, they don't tell  you what subsection (d) says, because it says:

Quote(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to--
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
[emphasis added]

I'm thinking it might be amusing to print up signs that list what subsection (d) says (including bolding or highlighting the appropriate terms), and stick them onto those signs.

What can they accuse us of?  Informing people of what their law actually says?

Most people go into Post Offices, and I think learning a bit about how little the government even cares about obeying its own laws (and the underhanded method of printing part of it and trying to claim it means the opposite of what it actually means) would help them open their minds...

I'm going to print up a few such signs, but I think this would work best if many people printed a few each and went to a few of their local Post Offices, and even better if we all did it on the same day.

Joe

Kat Kanning

lordmetroid

Also from what I understood of the definition of firearms that Larken Rose Brought up in his tax video. Firearms means various specific poisons, explosives and a limited selection of actual arms.

powerchuter

I don't think it's even posted in all of the post offices I've been into since arriving in NH a year ago...

I do agree, however, that they purposely leave off the subsection D and I think we should post subsection D or at least ask that the post office do it...and why it wasn't done in the past since it is so relevant!

MaineShark

Quote from: Kat Kanning on May 10, 2007, 07:24 AM NHFTWhen are you doing it?

I guess as soon as we get enough people to make it worthwhile.  I thought it up a while back and forgot it.  Dave Ridley jogged my memory yesterday when we were talking about notions for civil disobedience.  If I remembered earlier, so we had time to plan, this would be the perfect time to do it, since Mother's Day one of the busiest times for the Post Office.  I don't know about getting signs printed up and coordinating people in time to do something this weekend.

Joe

Dreepa

mvpel

As far as I can tell, nobody's been willing to climb into the felony prosecution ring to clearly establish the meaning of the term "lawful purpose" in court.