• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Eminent domain amendment on the ballot

Started by KBCraig, August 31, 2006, 02:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Not as strong an amendment as I'd like, but it's better than nothing.

Kurk's proposal is also interesting. These large multi-rep districts are a curious beast. I see why he opposes them, but they also allow someone to be elected just by coming in 4th place.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Ballot+issue+designed+to+help+property+rights&articleId=8022a8be-78ac-46ec-9cc0-cf7168d3a5d8

Ballot issue designed to help property rights

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Concord ? The Legislature has taken the final steps to place on the Nov. 7 ballot two proposed amendments to the state Constitution -- one about eminent domain and the other about legislative districts.

New Hampshire is one of about a dozen states where voters this fall will decide whether to ratify or reject a U.S. Supreme Court finding last year that it was constitutional for city officials in New London, Conn., to take private property to benefit a profit-making development.

The New Hampshire Legislature voted overwhelmingly for this proposed amendment to overturn the court's ruling, preventing any taking of private property unless there's a public use, such as a road or bridge project.

The amendment would add language to the state Constitution to prohibit the taking of private land for anything except a public use: "No part of a person's property shall be taken by eminent domain and transferred, either directly or indirectly, to another person if the taking is for the purpose of private development or other private use of the property."

Lawmakers also approved a state law that changed eminent domain laws to limit government's power to take public property.

The amendment must pass with at least a two-thirds vote.

"I would never predict whether an amendment will pass," said Nashua Democratic Rep. David Cote, who is seeking his 13th term. "The bar is set so high. I was surprised when the voters approved going to annual sessions. Since then they've rejected a lot of other proposals."

The other proposed amendment seeks to reverse the Supreme Court's redrawing in 2002 of districts in the 400-person House of Representatives.

Weare Republican Rep. Neal Kurk and other supporters seek to break up larger, multitown districts in favor of smaller ones. If adopted, it would give each town or city ward with at least 3,200 people a single legislator.

It also would make legal the practice of creating districts made up of legislators who serve more than one community or ward that already has its own representative.

Russell Kanning

I guess they will have a press conference tomorrow.
http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=277&Itemid=36

Concord, NH ? In June of 2005, The United States Supreme Court handed the final blow to Susette Kelo by finding in favor of the City of New London, Connecticut and granting the community the right to seize her property for private development. Now, Mrs. Kelo is coming to New Hampshire tomorrow to urge citizens to vote yes on Question #1 in November.........

dawn

Quote from: KBCraig on August 31, 2006, 02:17 AM NHFT
Not as strong an amendment as I'd like, but it's better than nothing.

Kurk's proposal is also interesting. These large multi-rep districts are a curious beast. I see why he opposes them, but they also allow someone to be elected just by coming in 4th place.

Agree that the ED amendment is a good step in the right direction.

I live in a pretty small town (about 4400 or so) yet I have 4 reps. I would much prefer to have one for our town instead of being grouped with two other towns.

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 20, 2006, 03:13 PM NHFT
Now, Mrs. Kelo is coming to New Hampshire tomorrow to urge citizens to vote yes on Question #1 in November.........

Excellent!

Integrity

400 +  Law makers over there on the hill ,  That's the best language they could come up with,  :( Better than nothing I guess.  It takes quite alot to change our constitution and it doesn't happen often for a good reason, I just think the language could be a little tighter, there is still some wiggle room there,  Lance   :)

d_goddard

This is a case where LTEs will have huge impact.
There will be so much noise during election season, it will take MANY LTEs to drive the point home and mobilize those who agree with us.
We'll need to overcome apathy and get people to the polls.

Links to the LTE websites for several NH papers, and a sample LTE, are at:
http://www.nhliberty.org/how_to_help_candidates

aries

Do these questions just appear on the same ballots as the general election candidates?

And do they have some summary explanation next to the question>

PinoX7

Quote from: KBCraig on September 20, 2006, 05:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 20, 2006, 03:13 PM NHFT
Now, Mrs. Kelo is coming to New Hampshire tomorrow to urge citizens to vote yes on Question #1 in November.........

Excellent!

Who is Mrs. Kelo??

Kat Kanning

Kelo vs. New London is the supreme court decision that allowed cities/states to seize private property/land and give it to private companies.  Mrs. Kelo was the main plaintiff in the case.  She lost and we all lost.

PinoX7

Thanks,
I guess NH is getting alot of attention latley,
I still never hear anything on the news, or in the paper out here in japan

Spencer

Quote from: PinoX7 on October 05, 2006, 06:03 PM NHFT
Thanks,
I guess NH is getting alot of attention latley,
I still never hear anything on the news, or in the paper out here in japan

New London is in Connecticut.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Spencer on October 05, 2006, 11:38 PM NHFT