• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Silent demonstrator meets his match

Started by Dave Ridley, October 27, 2006, 11:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Caleb on October 29, 2006, 11:18 AM NHFT
Wow!  What a shock!  Frank Chodorov defending property taxes.  ::)

"It may be theft. But it's our theft.  And it's ok because Locke's proviso says so."

Caleb-

saying I defend property taxes makes about as much sense as saying I defend gravity.

economic rent (what you call "property taxes" which include taxes on building which I do not support) which today accrue to those privileged by the state with exclusive access to land backed by force IS A GIVEN

just like gravity is a given...it is a naturally occurring phenomena that occurs as two or more people compete for access to scarcity.

as you know my arguement (as was Tolstoy's) is that the economic rent must be shared (like a christian) between neighbors in a community otherwise there is no right of self-ownership which is the fundamental tenet of libertarianism.

so rather than what I advocate being theft I am defending AGAINST theft - the absolute right to the fruits of labor of those being excluded by privilege.

the landowner contributes ZERO labor towards the creation of the economic rent - it is the labor of one's neighbors that creates the economic rent as a positive externality...when the landowner collects the economic rent, they subject their neighbors to a negative externality.

Russell Kanning

Since I have FrankChodorov/Bill Grennon on ignore, he also is a "silent demonstrator".

John

Quote from: anthonybpugh on October 28, 2006, 05:08 PM NHFT
"Good evening sir, I will be your mugger tonight.  I will like to kindly ask that you hand over your wallet and your keys.  Otherwise I will unfortunately have to blow your head off and it would be a pity to ruin your coat.  I know how busy you must be so if we can hurry, we can each be on their way.  Thank you sir and might I add that I love your tie.  Sorry for the inconvenience and Good night."   

Yeah, That would be better.  I take back everything I said.

I was thinking that it might be clear that I am not talking about just being polite.  But, that if we can maintain a clearly non-agresive way, it starts to "rub off" on others - let's call it a ripple effect.  I think that we have already seen this (although it may be too subtle for most to see) in several cases.

Let's start with this example:
On the day that Mike Fisher and Kat Dillon (now Kanning  ;) ) did their gig in Concord things began to change.  If one paid attention to (admittedly) rather subtle things, it was observable on the spot - that day.

Think about this:
If a rock had been angerly thrown into the deep (and dark) waters of statism, there would surely have been a ripple (and we can only imagine what that ripple would have looked like): Instead a beautiful stone was delicately cast to skim (or skip, if that's what you call it) across the surface.  That "beautiful stone" touched down and skipped forward causing more ripples, then touched down and skipped forward again, causing even more ripples . . . Each time, as "the beautiful stone" sails close to the surface - we see it.
It is only at each point of contact where others see "the beuatiful stone."

This is less about "them" than us.
In the end, it is more about me, and how I handle this.
Old saying: If it is to be, it is up to me.

May peace be with you.

Dave Ridley

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 29, 2006, 11:34 AM NHFT
You still respond to Bill Grennon? I have him on ignore.

I also ignore posts that are written in response to him.

yamnuska

Great work Dave! I love it when you call into FTL and tell everyone about your protests, gives me hope.

Dave Ridley

Sending this to the Commissioner...will have to print it out and mail it since they list no e-mail.

------

Dear Commissioner Blatsos:

Sorry this is a little late in getting to you but I wanted to drop you a note which you may find to be the source of some amusement.

Over the last three months I have conducted about 20 "silent micro-demonstrations" inside government offices, protesting pretty much anything the government does to hurt people who haven't endangered or harmed others.  Usually I get shooed out.  Once I got fined.  Sometimes people are amused, sometimes they panic.

Never, in the entire "history" of these demonstrations, has anyone reacted in such a calm and constructive manner as you did (assuming this note has reached the right person)! 

I wanted to let you know that, while I may disapprove of the level of taxation, and the intrusive evils it spawns, I am always appreciative of individuals at the helm who are accessible and personable in carrying out their duties.

However I'd like to ask that you keep forever in mind the main question I pointed out to you in your office.  Is there anything you could be doing, which you are not currently doing, that would reduce the amount of harm you are inflicting on property owners?  It is understandable that you could not think of anything off the top of your head, but surely there is something.   In Hopkinton, I understand some tax officials are verbally pressuring other town officials to lighten the tax burden; some are even threatening to resign apparently.   Such pressure carries some weight coming from people who one normally expects to be pro-tax.   You surely have the power to do something similar from your high office, or engage in some other constructive new action or speech which would at least slightly mitigate the current predicament.

No office or position comes without some power to mitigate harm.  And no person ever quite makes full use of that power; no matter the limitations there is always something more that can be done.  Ask Oscar Schindler.

Anyway, it was interesting to contrast your reactions to those at your federal counterpart's office.  When I demonstrated at the IRS outpost in Nashua in an identical manner they were furious.  They called the police even after I left the office. Later Homeland Security officers came to my address and are forcing me to appear in court on the 13th, charged with "distribution of handbills."

You and I would disagree on many things, but it says a great deal...the way you reacted vs. the way our jittery Federal bureaucracy reacted.  We all must do everything we can to preserve that silver lining New Hampshire government possesses, as Washington becomes increasingly trigger-happy.

Yours,

Dave Ridley
NHfree.com

John

FTL_Ian