• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

UL: the myth of "adequate education funding"

Started by KBCraig, January 31, 2007, 02:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

Quote from: eques on February 03, 2007, 04:18 PM NHFT
What does "fair share" mean for me?  I don't have children.

Well, you know what they say, paying for the education of someone else's kids so that they can afford their boat and vacation home keeps their kids from growing up ignorant and illiterate and mugging you on the street, right?

error

Yes, because it's so preferable for them to grow up to be government educated government bureaucrats who mug me with government guns right out of my paycheck.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Quantrill on February 03, 2007, 01:07 PM NHFT
With all the PORCs in NH and the chldren that accompany them, how long before "we" prove that kids educated outside the NH public fool system are smarter and can be taught cheaper than kids in public schools?

Homeschoolers have already proven that for us

"Numerous studies of homeschoolers achievement show that homeschoolers score exceptionally well on standardized tests, with the average/median homeschool students outperforming at least 70 to 80 percent of their conventionally schooled peers in all subjects and at all grade levels.18, 19 Studies also show that the longer a student is homeschooled, the higher his or her test scores become.20 In addition, homeschoolers have been described as dominating national contests, such as the national spelling and geography bees, and are now sought by many colleges."

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/education/homeschoolings-true-colors.html

anthonybpugh

Quote from: mvpel on February 04, 2007, 04:45 PM NHFT
Quote from: eques on February 03, 2007, 04:18 PM NHFT
What does "fair share" mean for me?  I don't have children.

Well, you know what they say, paying for the education of someone else's kids so that they can afford their boat and vacation home keeps their kids from growing up ignorant and illiterate and mugging you on the street, right?

I love that.  It is repeated so often it is a cliche.  I just have to wonder if there is any support for such a view at all.  Or if this is just another completely unsupported and unchallenged argument for statist control. 

CNHT

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on February 05, 2007, 08:41 PM NHFT
"Numerous studies of homeschoolers achievement show that homeschoolers score exceptionally well on standardized tests, with the average/median homeschool students outperforming at least 70 to 80 percent of their conventionally schooled peers in all subjects and at all grade levels.18, 19 Studies also show that the longer a student is homeschooled, the higher his or her test scores become.20 In addition, homeschoolers have been described as dominating national contests, such as the national spelling and geography bees, and are now sought by many colleges."

http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/education/homeschoolings-true-colors.html

Yer darn tootin right on that. My principal would often bring me a kid in the middle of the year, and he'd have a long face. With gloom and doom he would tell me, 'this kid has never been in school before nor had kindergarten'. Alright I would think, so the kid was with their mother all this time. Come to find out usually those kids were not only smarter but much better behaved. And in most cases could read already.

lildog

Quote from: anthonybpugh on February 03, 2007, 10:41 AM NHFT
average cost of education a kid is $9000?  Lets see.  Average class size in the US is 23 http://nces.ed.gov/pubs/eiip/eiipid21.asp

$9,000 x 23 = $207,000  for nine months out of the year. 

Just an FYI, the cost reported by the state as the per student cost is NOT the full cost each town spends.

For example if you take Merrimack's school budget and divide by the number of students you actually come out at around $16,000 per student yet the state I believe reports Merrimack at roughly $10,000 per student.

This is because not all costs within the school budgets are considered part of the per student cost.  There was a page on the state's web site which explained this in more detail.

CNHT

Quote from: lildog on February 08, 2007, 12:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: anthonybpugh on February 03, 2007, 10:41 AM NHFT
average cost of education a kid is $9000?  Lets see.  Average class size in the US is 23 http://nces.ed.gov/pubs/eiip/eiipid21.asp

$9,000 x 23 = $207,000  for nine months out of the year. 

Just an FYI, the cost reported by the state as the per student cost is NOT the full cost each town spends.

For example if you take Merrimack's school budget and divide by the number of students you actually come out at around $16,000 per student yet the state I believe reports Merrimack at roughly $10,000 per student.

This is because not all costs within the school budgets are considered part of the per student cost.  There was a page on the state's web site which explained this in more detail.

Of course! But, even if you take the white-washed numbers, and if people used those for their ammo, they could really make a difference in their towns...

I laud the PLN for trying to work at the town level, because this is where it's at babeeeeeeee!