• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Getting a bank account without a SSN?

Started by MaineShark, May 09, 2007, 08:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

Mastercards start with 5, Visas start with 4, Discover cards start with 6, and I forget what AmEx cards start with...

error

American Express cards start with 37.
Visa cards start with 40 through 48 (49 is used for Visa cards issued in other countries).
MasterCard cards start with 51 through 55. Any other card starting with a 5 is likely an ATM-only card or a private label card.
Discover cards start with 6011.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Dreepa on May 09, 2007, 08:07 AM NHFT
Good luck.... part of the patriot act (I think) required that all new bank accounts require SSN to open... also of course they want the SSN so that they can report earnings to the IRS.

(I tried a year ago to not give my SSN and had no luck)

Here's basically how it works legally:

The Act of Congress, USAPATRIOT Act of 2001, required Treasury to write regulations - the Treasury Regulations that followed (31 CFR 103.121) require the financial institutions to have in place a "customer identification program."

In a case started in 2004, Service Credit Union (largest CU in New-Hampshire), for example, follows the advice of their trade association, the National Association of Federal Credit Unions in designing their CIP, which requires a Social Security Number. Discussions with Paul W. Meade, Vice President, Regulatory Compliance, indicate that SCU will allow a member to not use an SSN, but would require a Taxpayer ID number, instead.

30Sept04 letter from Meade:
     "31 CFR 103.121 states, in part, "in general. The CIP must contain procedures for opening an account that specify the identifying information that will be obtained from each customer except as permitted by paragraphs (d)(2)(i)(B)(C) of this section, the bank must obtain at a minimum, the following information from the customer prior to opening an account:
(1) Name;
(2) Date of birth, for an individual;
(3) Address;
(4) Identification number, which shall be:
(i) For a USA person, a taxpayer identification number,"
Upon providing the required information shown above, we would welcome your membership into Service Credit Union and hope we have a long and satisfactory relationship."
-----end of quotation from letter-----

[some may see some of the inconsistencies in this letter]

The (federal) Civil Rights Act of 1964 defines a cause of action for discrimination against someone for their religion, creed, etc. in places of public accommodation, including in commerce. This Act may be of help to those attempting to secure accounts without numbers (threat of complaint to DOJ-Civil Rights Division).

The (federal) Privacy Act of 1972 (5 USC 552a) provides for penalties for denial of rights to people who do not use a Social Security Number ($10,000 penalty). This act may provide leverage over individual bank/CU officials who chose to discriminate against someone in obtaining an account/membership due to their religious belief/creed in not using a number.

The New Hampshire Human Rights Commission may be interested in pursuing a case of discrimination under these circumstances, according to one staffer.

This brief description does not include the exact/full wording of the Act and the attendant Regulations, but for the curious, it points the way.

This case referred to was not pursued further, but could be revived.

I think a privacy rights group, such as a "self-help" wing within CASPIAN  (the "PIAN" stands for Privacy Invasion And Numbering) could meet, study these acts and regs and come up with an approach to cracking one bank or CU in New-Hampshire, them move on to others, based on the precedent set. Anyone interested in pursuing a group action?

David

Quote from: Dan on May 10, 2007, 08:04 AM NHFT
I saw a lot of benifits to the VirtualCard until it sunk in that it doesn't work for any transactions on the internet.  It does not clear as a credit card like other ATM cards do.
It is essentially a debit card.  one advantage of it is no signature, and relative anonymity, I think. 

penguins4me

Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 10, 2007, 09:20 AM NHFT[snip tantalizing description]
This is the Mio Card that I speak about: http://www.miocard.com

Quote from: Mio card siteObtaining Your Card: The USA PATRIOT Act is a federal law that requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens a Card Account. What this means for you: When you open a Card Account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.

It's the same damn thing for every type of card I look at. Unfortunately, I didn't start looking for something like this until well after 9/11. cyberdoo, I take it you still have a currently-working Mio card and never had to disclose a SSN to said outfit? If so, they must have grandfathered you in, it seems.

The only pseudo-solution I've been able to find as of late is the prepaid Mastercard/Visa/AMEX cards which can be found in supermarkets and convenience stores here in Vegas. The *major* downside is the low maximum amount on the cards, which, IIRC, is $100USD; in addition, the terms aren't fantastic (fairly high drain rate through fees, etc.) and they can't be recharged or have the limit increased, so if you wanted to make a $200 purchase from a merchant who won't or can't span the transaction across two cards, you're out of luck.

Thus far, money orders are the only way I've been able to conduct "secure-ish" transactions without giving out boatloads of personal info. :/

cyberdoo78

No, I disclosed the SSN the government has assigned me. I have taken the view that I don't have a SSN, one has been reserved for my use. Using it is my convenience, and as the government has taken away all my economic liberties, I see no choice but to use it when it is in my self-interest. I personally will not accept the benefits that having a SSN grants, save the benefit of being able to operate in society, this will change when I move to New Hampshire, where I will never again use the government assigned SSN.

That being said, I only use the card for purchases online and for paying bills which will not take cash, my internet provider, Clearwire, being one of these businesses.

No large transaction can be made without government tracking. The only solution to the problem is the use of cash only transactions. The government has limited your ability to operate as a individual without some requirement that enables them to track you.

I have recently come to the decision that I fully reject this current form of government. That apon my safe passage to New Hampshire, I will reject any and all forms of control that are not in my self-interest. If the government wishes kill me, then so be it. If it wishes to imprison me, so be it. They will find it most difficult to take from me my property as I will attempt to own none.

The more and more I read about the idea of anarchy the more and more I find myself inclined to prefer it. I still have some questions on how to break free from my closed thinking as I have been brought up to believe, but I am working on it.

error

You're going to be in good company here.

powerchuter

PowerPenguin

One can get a prepaid virtual (and perhaps real if they've restarted service again) debit with up to $500 loaded on it from the good folks at Ultimate-Anonymity.com. Also see mpassetprotection.com and reclaimingprivacy.com for detailed information on various forms of anonymous payment methods. Generally speaking, you'll be going prepaid or making use of a nominee. Another good tip is to deal with Free Staters over others whenever possible! ;)