• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

dave ridley harassed for open carry

Started by slim, August 04, 2007, 10:31 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Lasse on August 05, 2007, 05:38 PM NHFT
I don't know, when the officers treat legal behaviour as illegal behaviour isn't it disobedience in a way? Lawful disobedience to officers of the law who don't know the law, rather than disobedience of laws viewed as immoral?

No.

coffeeseven

That video is great. Putting on the headphones and turning it up loud brings most every comment into the audible range. You guys backed 'em down. Well done!!!

Dave Ridley

Much thanks to roger for the staunch video work  and everyone who poured out of the Taproom to observe.   meant a great deal to me.

Russell Kanning

Tackle ... can you send me a version of this so I don't have to watch youtube skip over and over again?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on August 05, 2007, 11:07 AM NHFT
It's deplorable that Dave was stopped and questioned at all, but to keep things in perspective, he wasn't disarmed or handcuffed ....
that is why I just complained about the "detention" of my friend.

Kat Kanning

Thanks for the video, Roger and Lauren!  Very cool, Dave.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 05, 2007, 08:08 PM NHFT
Tackle ... can you send me a version of this so I don't have to watch youtube skip over and over again?

You'll see the footage when I go to edit it into the FSP piece we're doing. I'll give you a copy of all the footage involved. I called and got the interview with Keith Murphy lined up, I'll do that when I go get my battery charger.
I loaded the other footage we shot... it turned out well.

Dave was just the unexpected element that presented itself.

Elizabeth didn't even realize where we were going until she got the Porc411 e-mail and heard your voice and Dave refer to me.  ;D

ny2nh

Quote from: Lasse on August 05, 2007, 05:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator on August 05, 2007, 05:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on August 05, 2007, 04:37 PM NHFT
One thing I have to say about Dave - is that he conducts himslef in a respectful manner....and that makes his acts of civil disobedience far more effective.

I agree, Dave's demeanor is most affective, but this was definitely not disobedience.

I don't know, when the officers treat legal behaviour as illegal behaviour isn't it disobedience in a way? Lawful disobedience to officers of the law who don't know the law, rather than disobedience of laws viewed as immoral?

Actually wasn't referring to this specific event but to Dave overall (sorry - had been out in the sun at the machine gun shoot all day).

I said from the get go that stopping Dave was not right as he was doing nothing wrong....but even still, Dave remained calm and was very polite with both the state police officer and the Manchester police officers.

I would think what Dave did was far more effective as far as making one of those officers less likely to stop someone just because they were carrying open in the future. Getting in their faces and ranting is far less effective....and considering the circumstances, I am impressed that Dave stays so calm and continues to instead reiterate what his rights are.

Why the state police stopped him in the first place is the most important question...not why additional police officers showed up afterwards. Once people started to come out of Murphy's to see what was going on, the group of onlookers grew....and the Manchester police had no idea that that same group was not going to get out of control....so they send additional cops. That was responsible on their part. What was wrong is them stopping Dave in the first place.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: ny2nh on August 05, 2007, 08:50 PM NHFT
Getting in their faces and ranting is far less effective.

What is your evidence for this statement?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: ny2nh on August 05, 2007, 08:50 PM NHFTWhat was wrong is them stopping Dave in the first place.

After this,  nothing they did could be described as responsible. They were reacting to a situation they created.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on August 05, 2007, 11:07 AM NHFT
It's deplorable that Dave was stopped and questioned at all, but to keep things in perspective, he wasn't disarmed or handcuffed and they didn't demand to run the serial number of his pistol. I can't imagine the incident unfolding like this in any other state.

Compare and contrast to sjhipple's open carry incident in Virginia, where he wasn't breaking any laws either.

He shouldn't have been stopped.  All the stuff they didn't do afterwards doesn't matter.

Tom Sawyer

The cops keep thinking they had been set up... a dozen people, the telephone reporter and video camera in a minute in a half. They had never experienced anything like it before.

Dave did a great job of politely, yet firmly resisting the interrogation. I/we can all learn from watching these incidents.

Russell's approach can also be learned from. His body language and manner shows that he is not intimidated by the authorities. It is a fine line to walk, but one that has it's place.

The great part was they were so busy with the yin and yang of Dada and Russell that they didn't pay me much attention. Often the camera makes them angry and I as you saw me just being a passive observer works best. As soon as I interacted with the Manchester cop it changed.

That guy was pure bullshit. He just wanted to walk around and talk nonsense to the crowd to show that they were in charge.

Russell Kanning

I find it very effective to get in the mugs of police thugs... I feel great afterwards. It is very freeing and quite theraputic.

oh ... you mean it is not effective in getting the cops to change their minds ... I hadn't thought of that ... us country bumpkins cannot think on many complicated levels like that.

btw ... I just threw the ranting in as a bonus.

have fun on your GOP politics :treadmill:

Lloyd Danforth

dalebert

Quote from: error on August 04, 2007, 11:11 PM NHFT
Criminals open carrying? The only criminals I've ever seen open carrying also wear badges.

+1