• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

dave ridley harassed for open carry

Started by slim, August 04, 2007, 10:31 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on August 05, 2007, 09:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 05, 2007, 11:07 AM NHFT
It's deplorable that Dave was stopped and questioned at all, but to keep things in perspective, he wasn't disarmed or handcuffed and they didn't demand to run the serial number of his pistol. I can't imagine the incident unfolding like this in any other state.

Compare and contrast to sjhipple's open carry incident in Virginia, where he wasn't breaking any laws either.

He shouldn't have been stopped.  All the stuff they didn't do afterwards doesn't matter.

I agree that he shouldn't have been stopped. But I think Dave is probably happy that he wasn't handcuffed, hauled to jail, had his gun confiscated, had his car towed (and "inventoried"searched), had to pay bond, had to pay for the towing/impound...

I was just pointing out the contrast between NH and most other states. This was totally unacceptable behavior by the police, but people in 48 other states would rejoice at the outcome.

Quantrill

Hence, the point of MOVING to the Free State!
:D

Dreepa

Couple things:

Dave... you are steadfast and a Rock... I Agree with NY2NH on this.  Your demeanor was great.

Russell... you crack me up.

TomSawyer.. great work as usual.

KBCraig... can you (or shipple etc) post this over on opencarry or some other forum.. it would be good to get the cross posting thing.  :)  I would but it would be better coming from someone with 'street cred'.

And how come no comment about them about to rip the signs down... but them oh a different story when it is girl scouts... Too Funny.  thinking the signs were Dave's.

Russell Kanning

... and those signs where down when I checked again. I think the evil cops did it.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: KBCraig on August 05, 2007, 10:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on August 05, 2007, 09:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 05, 2007, 11:07 AM NHFT
It's deplorable that Dave was stopped and questioned at all, but to keep things in perspective, he wasn't disarmed or handcuffed and they didn't demand to run the serial number of his pistol. I can't imagine the incident unfolding like this in any other state.

Compare and contrast to sjhipple's open carry incident in Virginia, where he wasn't breaking any laws either.

He shouldn't have been stopped.  All the stuff they didn't do afterwards doesn't matter.

I agree that he shouldn't have been stopped. But I think Dave is probably happy that he wasn't handcuffed, hauled to jail, had his gun confiscated, had his car towed (and "inventoried"searched), had to pay bond, had to pay for the towing/impound...

I was just pointing out the contrast between NH and most other states. This was totally unacceptable behavior by the police, but people in 48 other states would rejoice at the outcome.

I don't know if it is a good thing that the cop didn't take it further.  The Lawsuit and court case might put an end to cops in NH (the state we are discussing here, Kevin) harrassing people who open carry.

Pat K

Man what can one say, you guys are great!

Be able to play the video right from the forum page is cool.

It played for me perfect both audio and video.

When I get people here in NY to watch it they are gonna
freak out big time. ;D

Tom Sawyer

For those who think because the cops were trying to "sound" civil that it wasn't really all that bad...

They lied and said they were responding to a citizens' complaint. There wasn't time for that to have happened.

How would this incident have gone if there were no witnesses? If Dada was black?
If there was someone who Dada had a similar name or discreption to that was wanted. It could have gone badly. (I have both read about and know of people this has happened to.)

Do the cops pull people over just to make sure that the person is allowed to drive? How about other lawful behavior?

The State Trooper was within his right to have a brief conversation with Dada. He could have watched his behavior. It was clear to me that he pretty quickly realized that Dada posed no threat, but once they call you in they feel they need to take it all the way.

Their procedure is to collect as much information as possible. They are used to demanding the papers of everyone they approach. They do this to people that are merely walking down the road. I've talked to people that this has happened to. They will some times act "nice" and offer the person a ride and then tell them that they of course need to search them before they get in the cruiser.

ny2nh

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on August 05, 2007, 09:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on August 05, 2007, 08:50 PM NHFTWhat was wrong is them stopping Dave in the first place.

After this,  nothing they did could be described as responsible. They were reacting to a situation they created.
The state police stopped him - the Manchester police were likely called as support.....so "they" were wrong to me would mean that the state police officer was wrong....the Manchester cops were just doing their job after being dispatched to do so.

Tom Sawyer

The Manchester Sergeant was not interested in the sequence of events and made sure that he didn't address any of it.

That guy was the worst of the bunch. He was spinning nonsense and trying to appear to be reasonable. I say he should move back to Mass.  ;D

I have less of a problem with the State Trooper, I just don't like the procedures they train them to use.

Lloyd Danforth

When the Manchester Cops showed up they should have asked the state cop why he stopped Dave.  The Manchester cops are supposed to protect the rights of people in their city, even from state cops.
The point that should be made here is that Dave has an 'absolute' Right to open carry without being questioned.  Along with this Absolute Right is a state law that states Dave has a right to open carry.
Isn't it important that all LEO's know the law and enforce it evenly?  Doesn't it scare you that they don't?

Tammy.  What what do you think was the most important 2nd Amendment event in NH this Weekend?  The Machine Gun shoot?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: ny2nh on August 06, 2007, 07:46 AM NHFT
the Manchester cops were just doing their job after being dispatched to do so.
I heard that from the government thugs too.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: ny2nh on August 06, 2007, 07:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on August 05, 2007, 09:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on August 05, 2007, 08:50 PM NHFTWhat was wrong is them stopping Dave in the first place.

After this,  nothing they did could be described as responsible. They were reacting to a situation they created.
The state police stopped him - the Manchester police were likely called as support.....so "they" were wrong to me would mean that the state police officer was wrong....the Manchester cops were just doing their job after being dispatched to do so.

"Doing their job" ought to have included reminding the state cops that open-carry is legal...

TackleTheWorld

Right!  Why don't the cops protect Dave's right to defend himself - even if there were a citizen complaint?  If a citizen complains about someone casting spells on them do the police accost the "witch" too?  "Well, miss, we've got a complaint here and we have to do our jobs.  Just tell us your name, address, date of birth, where you're going, If you have any majic wands, if you have ever said the words, bibbety bobbity boo and we'll let you go. Unless we get you to admit a real crime, or you make a fuss, or we just don't like your face."

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on August 06, 2007, 08:02 AM NHFT
The point that should be made here is that Dave has an 'absolute' Right to open carry without being questioned. 

Not exactly, the cops are allowed to question you anywhere not on private property even without a defined reason.

Lloyd Danforth

You're referring to some 'aleged'law.  I meant Absolute.