• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Sell out the Vote Campaign

Started by Kat Kanning, August 06, 2007, 06:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fragilityh14

well, it doesnt seem a lot different from prostitution, which I think is a lot more honest than trying to convince someone a person only wants to have sex with to have sex with them (in a lot of situations).

Honestly, I'd rather a person just take money from one individual than vote based on what a politician is planning on giving them via the tax payer.

of course, they can pay someone to vote for a person who will rob the tax payer and redistribute the wealth for the 'public' good.

Russell Kanning

I do know that I will be voting in the NH primary so you can start your "influence offers".

Dan

From the Shire wikipedia entry:
Government
The Shire was a voluntarily orderly society. The only government offices were a postal service and a police force, the Shiriffs, whose chief duties involved rounding up stray livestock. Nominal officials of the Shire were the Mayor of Michel Delving in the White Downs (by extension seen as the Mayor of the Shire); the Thain from Tuckborough, who was the head of the important Took clan; and the Master of Buckland at Bucklebury. The Thain's powers can be compared to those of the Ruling Stewards of Gondor, albeit over a smaller area, in that he governed in place of the King. The Thain also served as head of the Shire-moot, and as captain of the Shire-muster and of the Hobbitry-at-arms; as these positions were only necessary in emergencies (which rarely if ever happened), the role of Thain became a purely ceremonial position. While nominally the Thain ruled over the four Farthings, in practice authority was so decentralized that the title was seen as more of a formality. The Mayor's chief duties were serving as postmaster of the Shire's mail service, presiding over the Shiriff force and presiding at fairs. The mayor was elected for a seven-year term, while the Master controlled Buckland. The Hobbits of the Shire did obey the Rules, but there was no real need to enforce them; all of the Hobbits voluntarily obeyed them as they were both ancient and just. There were lawyers in Hobbit society, but they mostly dealt with wills and such matters. Frodo stated that no Hobbit was ever known to have intentionally killed another Hobbit (even the Elves could not make such a claim of their own race) but this claim was ultimately found to be in error when it was discovered that Sméagol killed his friend, Déagol.

At the resumption of the throne by King Elessar, the Shire became subject to the law of the king enthroned in Gondor, but the law of this king forbade the king himself from entering the Shire because he was not a half-ling.

Dan

Funny, this was on /. recently.  Is that what spawned the conversation?
Seems the concept of vote swapping is has deemed legal by appeals court decision.

Funny quote from Shagg on slashdot:
QuoteDiebold is already swapping everybody's vote for cash from the highest bidder.

Russell Kanning

I haven't read slashdot in a long time.

Dan

I keep it's feed in my google reader.
The article is here: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9755958-7.html

Here is a blurb:
QuoteAugust 6, 2007 7:08 PM PDT
Vote-swapping Web sites are legal, appeals court (finally) says
Posted by Declan McCullagh

It took seven years, but a federal appeals court has finally vindicated the creators of vote-swapping Web sites that let Al Gore and Ralph Nader fans support their chosen candidates in the 2000 presidential election.

The purpose of the sites, which included the now-defunct voteswap2000.com and votexchange2000.com, was to let a Nader supporter in a state where George Bush might win "swap" his vote with a Gore supporter in a state like Texas where Republican victory was practically assured.

dalebert

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 07, 2007, 08:41 AM NHFT
We were thinking we could film ourselves in the little booth casting the vote. I could come out after accomplishing the mission and proudly state that I voted for Hillary or whoever and have some evidence that I indeed did vote for that person.

I was going to suggest this and you beat me to it. I suggest doing a YouTube video starting before you even enter the polls. Have a hidden camera and film the entire process including punching the ballot and dropping it in the bin. If you want, clip out the actual vote and show that portion only to the buyer and explain the edit in the video.

The best part of the video would be before voting where you explain how your vote has never managed to change anything in any real way. The war in Iraq rages on. Criminal taxation rages on. etc. Politics has always been for sale. You can repeat some of the examples that you posted earlier in this thread. Now your vote is actually useful for something (flash the cash which you have fanned out in your hand like a deck of cards, even if it's just $1 bills).

Those are just my thoughts. I like the idea. I might be willing to do it for the general election conditional on Ron Paul not winning the primary. However, everyone seems convinced he can't win anyway so there's nothing to worry about there, right? hehe. My attitude is "Ron Paul or Bust". If he doesn't win the primary, it's not going to make any difference who I vote for anyway. The machine will rampage on just as it always has since we created the beast. At least Ron will be a wrench in the works and that just doesn't apply to any of the other candidates.

Russell Kanning

I like your ideas Dalebert .... the only difference for me .... is that I will vote for whoever I am influenced to vote for. :)

error

I'll give you a silver Ron Paul Liberty Dollar to vote for Ron Paul.

dalebert

Quote from: Beavis on August 09, 2007, 09:41 PM NHFT

Woo hoo! The bidding has begun! Capitalism at its finest.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Beavis on August 09, 2007, 09:41 PM NHFT
Let me start a separate thread for the Presidential Primary. :)
Thank you for your potential patronage.

I also accept gold, $s, food ....

Russell Kanning

Well .... I am auctioning off my vote in Keene this fall. Check it out on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300252664258

FTL_Ian

Cool.  Posted to Free Keene.  Can I send this to my news list?  (Sentinel, WKBK, Equinox, etc)

Russell Kanning

yes ... it is really happening ... so you can publicize it :)

Kat Kanning