• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Sell out the Vote Campaign

Started by Kat Kanning, August 06, 2007, 06:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

so the latest bid is one ounce of silver for my vote in this falls election

Russell Kanning

this is the screenshot I got when I searched "sell vote"

and ebay took mine down last week

Russell Kanning

this was the discussion last november

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/is-it-smarter-to-sell-your-vote-or-to-cast-it/

Is it Smarter to Sell Your Vote or to Cast it?

By Ryan Hagen

Half of N.Y.U. students say they would sell their right to vote for $1 million, according to a poll published yesterday by the Washington Square News.

Sixty-six percent said they would trade their voting rights for a free four-year ride at N.Y.U. (roughly $160,000, including room and board). Twenty percent would give up the vote for an iPod Touch (value: $299).

We know that voting doesn't make good economic sense. Dubner and Levitt have written about the utility — or is it futility? — of voting here, here and here. But is it smarter to sell your vote than to cast it?

George W. Bush spent $345 million to win re-election in 2004, according to opensecrets.org, a cost of around $5.56 a vote. John Kerry spent just over $5.24 per vote. Those numbers don't include third party spending, but for the sake of a hypothetical let's just say votes in a presidential election cost $5.50 apiece. It should follow that selling your one vote for $1 million could buy you enough influence to capture 181,818 more. So maybe this poll doesn't demonstrate youth apathy, it demonstrates youth economic savvy. (Then again, if you're a fringe candidate, it's possible to spend vast sums in politics without having any impact whatsoever.)

But how about you? Would you sell your vote for $1 million, or an iPod Touch, or free college tuition? And what would democracy look like if you could?

Russell Kanning

I think there is demand out there for people to sell their votes.

I am thinking about sellmyvote.info or sellmyvoteonline.com

what do you guys think?

bigmike

nice >:D

it would probably get rid of all those last minute news stories and man-on-the-street interviews with "undecideds" days before big elections.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 01, 2008, 11:53 AM NHFT
so the latest bid is one once of silver for my vote in this falls election
this bid might have been rescinded

Is there anyone out there that wants to buy my vote?

Lloyd Danforth

It was my bid and I did not rescind it.

Russell Kanning

gotcha
so

Ron Paul
Sue Newell
Ken Blevins
Bob Hull

Lloyd Danforth

Sounds good to me

I'm thinking you can do better than the oz of AG if you press talk to the right

Lawyer

FTL_Ian

Are you voting in Keene?  You could toss one Varrin's way.

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

Quote from: FTL_Ian on November 03, 2008, 09:23 AM NHFT
Are you voting in Keene?  You could toss one Varrin's way.
are you paying?

Russell Kanning

http://www.yahoo.com/s/981744

video of kid selling his vote on ebay

mine only lasted a few hours I think

FTL_Ian

Nah.  Maybe Varrin will, or talk to Mark.

Josh

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 03, 2008, 07:27 PM NHFT
What the Hell did Ian just say???

I think Mark hijacked his computer for a minute or something.