• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

PC geeks

Started by kola, November 30, 2007, 10:56 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcRiley

Quote from: KBCraig on December 01, 2007, 05:04 AM NHFT
the value of the Free Software -slash- Open Source ethic

Open Source is not an ethic, it's a respin of mostly the same thing with the concept of "freedom" replaced by emphasizing the development model.

Look at it like this; some "libertarian" gun nut decides the word "liberty" is too radical so, to make a name for himself, he coins the buzzword "Self Determinacy".  It describes a small part of the total package, and shifts focus from the "why" to method it's expressed through.  As a new buzzword the media picks up on it and suddenly you hear yourself described as a "Self Determinate" rather than a "Libertarian", even if you'd never use those words.

The source code being open is not the goal, it's one of the effects.  It makes it sound like the reason to use and support it is because you just really want to be able to read source code and almost everyone ends up missing the point.

Freedom is the goal, the whole of the reason.  If you want the software to do something different, even if you don't know how to do so yourself, you have the freedom to go to just about anyone who can program and have the software modified.  You have the freedom to give it to your friends.  You have the freedom to wrap it in nice packaging and sell it for any amount someone would be willing to pay, and they in turn have the exact same right.

Being "open" is important too, you wouldn't buy a car with the hood welded shut and which after-market replacement parts for it were illegal even if you don't know how to repair cars, but the right to modify is only one of the four freedoms.

erisian

Being "open" is important too, you wouldn't buy a car with the hood welded shut and which after-market replacement parts for it were illegal even if you don't know how to repair cars, but the right to modify is only one of the four freedoms.

So for those too lazy to go look it up for themselves, here is the executive summary of the Four Freedoms, straight from the GNU's mouth:

What is Free Software?
"Free software" is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of "free" as in "free speech", not as in "free beer".
Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

• The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

EJinCT

Need some advice on accessing the net through a wireless network. 

How can I find out the encryption key or pass phrase used on a wireless router?

Yes, I have physical access to the gateway router and this is not an attempt to hack.  ;)

ArcRiley

You'll need to log into the router and look in the wireless configuration tab.  If you don't know how to do that, hire a friendly neighborhood geek to help  ;)

Once ya got the key it's pretty easy to setup in any OS.

elf

Close Windows.  Break Windows.  Wipe drive.  Install Linux OS. 
Linux comes in several flavours - Gentoo is a good one. 
Or, for the really brave - Linux from scratch. 
You'll learn a new language along the way:  tarballs, kernels, shells, to name a few. 
It's fun.  Much safer than Windows.  Best of all it's free.   
An open source system without patents, licensing, fees, or hidden surveillance. 
Well worth the effort. 

EJinCT

Quote from: ArcRiley on December 01, 2007, 09:34 AM NHFT
You'll need to log into the router and look in the wireless configuration tab.  If you don't know how to do that, hire a friendly neighborhood geek to help  ;)

Once ya got the key it's pretty easy to setup in any OS.

Thanks Arc; I prefer to do what I can before calling in the big guns. if I can't figure it out you'll be the first one I'll call. ;)

Quote from: elf on December 01, 2007, 10:52 AM NHFT
Close Windows.  Break Windows.  Wipe drive.  Install Linux OS. 
Linux comes in several flavours - Gentoo is a good one. 
Or, for the really brave - Linux from scratch. 
You'll learn a new language along the way:  tarballs, kernels, shells, to name a few. 
It's fun.  Much safer than Windows.  Best of all it's free.   
An open source system without patents, licensing, fees, or hidden surveillance. 
Well worth the effort. 

I'd consider it if there is next to no chance that I would lose all the data on my HD ( 7+ years worth of collected music), and that all my app's/hardware ( mainly music production related) would function properly after a switch.