• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fall Foliage Trip to the White Mountains: where to stay and what to do/see

Started by vanguardist, August 08, 2007, 08:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

vanguardist

My wife and I are going to make the drive from central NY (a bastion of liberty, I know) for a weekend of hiking, photography, and hopefully lovely weather. The idea is to go the first weekend of October and try to catch the best colors.

We, as usual, are on a budget so fancy hotels are out of the question. We're looking for an affordable place to stay, maybe a nice hostel, something with character and central to the area if possible.

Also, we'd like to do some of the basic tourist things that we've found so far including checking out Mt. Washington and visiting some of the state parks, but I'd love to get some further feedback on some of the stuff that we should really not miss and that's seldom advertised to tourists.

Any help would be appreciated.

And finally, this will be our first visit to NH. We're going to try to move there in late 09!  ;D

Dreepa

If you come the first weekend you may want to visit Manchester on Sat morning for the MVP meeting (meet many of the liberty lovers in NH) then head up to the mountains.

I still haven't been up north as much as I should have.  Maybe this fall.

shyfrog

I work for Yankee Magazine and the Old Farmer's Almanac. The company also hosts a site called Yankee Foliage. We'll be ramping up the offerings at the site as it gets closer to foliage season. All the resources you could hope for: recommended drives, places to stay, articles, blog, forums, photos, approximate peak map, etc

http://www.yankeefoliage.com

toowm

And you'll have to go through the white mountains (Vermont) to get to the green mountains (New Hampshire).

KBCraig

Quote from: toowm on August 08, 2007, 09:56 PM NHFT
And you'll have to go through the white mountains (Vermont) to get to the green mountains (New Hampshire).

swip<->swap

vanguardist

Quote from: shyfrog on August 08, 2007, 09:39 PM NHFT
I work for Yankee Magazine and the Old Farmer's Almanac. The company also hosts a site called Yankee Foliage. We'll be ramping up the offerings at the site as it gets closer to foliage season. All the resources you could hope for: recommended drives, places to stay, articles, blog, forums, photos, approximate peak map, etc

http://www.yankeefoliage.com

This is a great page. Thanks.

toowm

Quote from: KBCraig on August 09, 2007, 12:34 AM NHFT
Quote from: toowm on August 08, 2007, 09:56 PM NHFT

swip<->swap

Aaaarrrrggggh! I was going to delete the comment, but I'll leave it as a symbol of my stupidity.

Nat F

The eastern side of the Kanc has several state or federal campgrounds if you are up for camping in October.  I also heartily recommend checking out Bear Notch Road.  The road closes once snow falls but usually it's still open in October.  It runs between the Kanc and Rt 302 to the north and offers some spectacular views over Mount Washington Valley.  Another great scenic road is Rt 113 through the Wild River Valley.  It runs from Gilead ME (Rt 2) to Fryeburg ME.  There's also a fantastic country store/bakery on that route in Stow, although it may no longer be open since the original owner had it for sale for a few years.

Hurricane Mountain Road is a wild ride, and there's a nice walk to Black Cap starting at the top of the road.  It's a short enough walk that even out of shape guys like me can do it and the view is absolutely worth it.  Some other interesting roads worth checking out are Jefferson Notch Road just off the Mount Washington Railroad access road in Twin Mountain, it's the highest public road in New Hampshire (possibly New England as well) and near the top of the dirt road there's a nice parking area with some trails.  The Mount Washington Auto Road (a private toll road to the top of Mount Washington) will likely be closed to personal vehicles but they might still be running their vans to the peak.  If it's a good day try to get to the top either by the auto road or the train, the view is spectacular.

-Nat

David

Maybe someday a group of us could rent a van and go camping, during the peak of leaf peeping season.  Mini porkfest.  Affordable for poor folks, (me) and it should be fun. 

Dreepa

Quote from: David on August 31, 2007, 11:56 PM NHFT
Maybe someday a group of us could rent a van and go camping, during the peak of leaf peeping season.  Mini porkfest.  Affordable for poor folks, (me) and it should be fun. 
I likee that idea.

Pat K

David