• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Possible visit to Concord/Manchester to look for neighborhoods

Started by vanguardist, August 08, 2007, 08:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

vanguardist

My wife and I are going to the White Mountains area in the fall for a hiking/photo weekend. If we have time, however, we'd like to take a look at the Concord/Manchester area. Our plan is to move to NH by 2010 and though it's sort of early to start looking, since we'll be somewhat close, it would be nice to take a drive around some of the more common family-friendly areas to rent/buy a house.

Any ideas on what to consider? My ideal location not quite rural but not fully urban really. Sort of a semi-rural subdivision, right outside of town, where you can actually breathe and see trees between houses.

Thanks for any info,

Manuel

Dreepa

Quote from: vanguardist on August 08, 2007, 08:28 PM NHFT

Any ideas on what to consider? My ideal location not quite rural but not fully urban really. Sort of a semi-rural subdivision, right outside of town, where you can actually breathe and see trees between houses.

That is about 15 minutes in any direction out of either Concord or Manchester.

I live about 8 miles from the Capitol building.  All I can see is trees. ;D

vanguardist

Quote from: Dreepa on August 08, 2007, 08:42 PM NHFT

That is about 15 minutes in any direction out of either Concord or Manchester.

I live about 8 miles from the Capitol building.  All I can see is trees. ;D

Heh, ok, but do these places have names? Do I just randomly drive around with a map? Sure this might work but I was hoping for something specific.

But yeah, trees are always good :)

What's traffic like in that area?

Dreepa

Quote from: vanguardist on August 08, 2007, 08:44 PM NHFT

Heh, ok, but do these places have names? Do I just randomly drive around with a map? Sure this might work but I was hoping for something specific.

But yeah, trees are always good :)

What's traffic like in that area?

Hopkinton, Bow, Boscawen, Pembroke, Loudon  are all close to Concord and you can get there with pretty easy commutes.  Even Concord has 'rural' parts.. farms even.
I have only really seen traffic on RTE 93 on weekends. And I have seen traffic on Loudon Rd (Rte 9) from Main Street to 'the mall'.. and that traffic is worse around Christmas.
I haven't had any bad experience with traffic outside of that.

I guess someone else can answer for Manch.

error

Heh, try being on 93 north at 5 pm on a weekday. You'll think you're back in Boston.

dalebert

Quote from: Beavis on August 08, 2007, 09:57 PM NHFT
Heh, try being on 93 north at 5 pm on a weekday. You'll think you're back in Boston.

Isn't that the route going toward the lakes region from Manchester? I think that's how I got to porcfest after flying in. I was driving up it around 5:30. Maybe I got lucky but there was nothing.

error

Yeah, but if you hit it at the wrong time, it's bumper to bumper.

Avens O'Brien

My wife and I are going to the White Mountains area in the fall for a hiking/photo weekend. If we have time, however, we'd like to take a look at the Concord/Manchester area. Our plan is to move to NH by 2010 and though it's sort of early to start looking, since we'll be somewhat close, it would be nice to take a drive around some of the more common family-friendly areas to rent/buy a house.

Thanks for any info,

Manuel

I can't speak for Concord because I may be familiar with the area but not as a resident.

Around Manchester, however, my home of 15 years, there are quite a few options.  Goffstown is a nice little town with plenty of trees, some farms, but some definite "residential" neighbourhoods, which is a pleasant atmosphere.  It's right outside of Manchester (ten or twenty minutes depending on how far in you  go) and prior to living in Manchester I lived there very briefly.  Also have friends who'll speak for the pleasantries.  If you see it and want more rural - New Boston, Dunbarton, Weare, are all another twenty minutes out with some more space between the houses but definitely still convenient to the city.

In the other direction, there's the seemingly rapidly growing Hooksett which puts you a step closer to Concord.  I can't say what it's like to live there, but it's conveniently centrally located, and again, outside of the city, though reports are, we (read: Manchester) are invading it. ;)

There's also the very nice and rather expensive Bedford.  I joke about it being Goffstown for those who make more money and usually have a breadwinner who commutes to Boston. 

And just for the record, Manchester has its gem-neighbourhoods.  Central Manch is less than desirable for a family, I would say, but the far North End, the South-Eastern side and the South-West side are just nice little suburban areas with nice backyards, old houses and you're always within three minutes of the highway going in any direction.  I grew up on the West side, and it was a great neighbourhood for families.  Heck, technically I'm still on the West side, just on the Bedford (south) border, and I've got a big backyard for the dogs to run around, two beautiful gardens in the front and a handful of trees.  I can, however, throw a rock from my window to my neighbour's window, so maybe we're too close for some people's standards, but I'm comfortable with it. 

Preferences vary, and reading your description, I'd recommend taking a look at Goffstown.  But neighbourhood tours of Manchester specifically, if you're interested, I can provide.

-Avens