• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Man arrested for pulling gun.

Started by AlanM, May 22, 2005, 12:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

There was an article in the Union Leader about a Dad going to an Unofficial UNH Frat party, to get his underage (17) twin daughters out of a drinking party. He was surrounded by the young people, and, feeling threatened, pulled out his gun, telling them to "Back off". He then took his daughters away. (The daughters had called him, wanting to be picked up.)
He was arrested before leaving Durham, and charged with carrying a gun without a license, and threatening (of some sort). He says he has a license. The police say they were unable to access the information.

Sounds like something useful to get involved with. Does anyone have a copy of the paper? I didn't happen to buy it, thinking it would be online, but I can't find it online.

KBCraig

He'll beat the license charge if he does have one. I don't find anything in RSA 159 that requires you to carry the license on your person.

Whether he beats the other charge will depend on his demeanor in court. If he comes across as confrontational and hot-headed, he will probably be seen as the instigator. Otherwise, being surrounded by an angry group of drunks is certainly sufficient reason to fear for one's life, and to pull a gun.

Kevin

AlanM

This happened in Durham where the students can riot and throw molotov cocktails and burn garbage in the streets, and, for a while anyway, the police made no arrests. However, a man pulls a gun to defend himself from a drunken mob, and who do they arrest? The man defending himself, and his two daughters.

Michael Fisher

Not enough details to comment.  If he felt in danger, he was justified.  If not, he wasn't.

AlanM

Quote from: president on May 22, 2005, 09:26 PM NHFT
My guess is that the guy was not invited into the house, and people told him to leave, and he refused.

He sounds like a thug with a gun to me.

He went to get his daughters, who had called him from the house, asking to be picked up.

AlanM

Quote from: president on May 22, 2005, 10:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on May 22, 2005, 09:50 PM NHFT
My guess is that the guy was not invited into the house, and people told him to leave, and he refused.

He went to get his daughters, who had called him from the house, asking to be picked up.
That gave him permission to enter the house?
Were his daughters being held hostage?

I was merely giving information that was in the Union Leader story, that wasn't in the Fosters. You are the one making guesses, not me.

AlanM

Quote from: president on May 22, 2005, 10:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on May 22, 2005, 10:21 PM NHFT
I was merely giving information that was in the Union Leader story, that wasn't in the Fosters.
Yea, for the second time in the thread.
Does that matter somehow? Actually I had forgotten I included it earlier.

QuoteWhy do you assume the people at the party were a drunken mob, and why do you assume the guy was defending himself?
You are only guessing.? ::)

The man described them as a threatening mob. It being a frat party where there was alcohol being consumed, and given to minors, experience has shown me that most of the people at these type of parties get drunk. So, true, the drunken part was a guess on my part. I'll leave it to others to judge whether it is a fair assumption to make.

LiveFreeOrDie

I agree that there isn't enough information to really make a judgement. 

What I HAVE read, however, and not in the MSM, really causes me to side with the dad. At least in the absence of more information.   I've read that this "unauthorized" frat house has a history of date-rape-drug incidents and other serious problems. 

Couple that with the father's account of being called by his daughters, saying they couldn't get a ride home; then upon his arrival being surrounded and impeded in his search for his daughters by these young men? 

Look, anyone who's ever been "3rd floored" at a frat house during a party knows the drill.  Albeit after the fact.  That's the whole plan: get the mark separated from the main party (i.e. "3rd floor"), the others know their job is to delay/impede/hold off any friends or family who go looking for them. Usually, they deny the person is even there

This father's account of the situation isn't hard for me to believe.  And if I had been one of those girls and my dad came looking for me after I called him for a ride, and the frat boys impeded him when he was looking for me?  Yeah, he'd pull his gun and tell them to back off and "give me my daughter back" too!  He's my dad. 

I just hope his daughters were tested for the presence of Rohypnol, Ketamine, and other "date rape" drugs.  While it's stupid of those girls to have done what they did- at least they had the presence of mind to realize they were in trouble (or heading for it) and call their parent to help them out. 

I do wish we had more facts on this case.  Obviously I am hoping this father isn't some #8 wing nut, but was truly threatened by these young men. 

John

Fisher, While we often may not agree, this is (I think) the first time that I would question your reasonableness.  But then, I have two daughters.
Can you relate to that?

KBCraig

I will wade in on the side of those who, while knowing only the facts as presented in the news media, side with the dad in this case.

Yes, I'm a dad. I have four sons, and one beautiful blonde 15 year old daughter. If I got that call late at night, it wouldn't matter if it was from my daughter, or from one of my sons. "Dad, I'm in a bad place and I need a ride home" is a unisex plea, and I will respond the same no matter whether it's my babygirl, my big strapping 18yo (who is bigger than me, and I'm hardly the diminutive type), or any of my younger sons.

Dad or not, being surrounded by a younger, stronger crowd, with alcohol flowing, is sufficient reason to believe that I'm in danger. The dad in this case only made one mistake: as soon as he had retreated with his daughters, he should have dialed 911.

Being on record as the threatenend party does make a difference when the lawyers start divvying up your assets.

Kevin

LiveFreeOrDie

Lovely party pics. 
http://www.durhamdrunks.com/CPM/thumbnails.php?album=58

And they're crowing about the arrest here:
http://authenticdurham.com/content/blogsection/0/39/
QuoteI also have to comment on some ridiculous shit that happened recently at Phi Kappa Theta. A 47-year-old father showed up at the frat and pulled a 9mm gun on the brothers ? he was looking for his runaway 17-year-old twin daughters. The cops arrested him and also charged his two daughters with INTERNAL possession of alcohol. All in all, the father was charged with criminal threatening (a felony) and carrying a weapon without a permit (a misdemeanor) and his underage daughters got arrested even before they graduated from high school! The cops zinged that guy real good, fucker.

::)

Kat Kanning

Looks like a bunch of losers.  It still doesn't really explain why the guy pulled a gun.

Russell Kanning

at least they arrested that rotten Dad

Lloyd Danforth

They should have arrested him for lack of sublety.

citizen_142002

Simply being confronted by people who are unfriendly and drunk, is not grounds to threaten the use of lethal force. The dad may have very good reson to belive that he or his daughters were about to be assaulted, or he may have lost his cool and drawn his shooter.
Since none over us were there, none of us can know if this was a justified incident. I personally would not want to get involved in defending someone who very well be "just a thug with a gun". If this man was justified, and he might be, then he will have his day in court. Knowing how fathers can be, this man may have just been pissed that these people were serving his daughters alcohol.