• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Life without Daemon Tools

Started by Fragilityh14, August 11, 2007, 11:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Copyright laws are as bogus as sodomy laws. People shouldn't be relying on them to make money. In Georgia, oral sex was a felony, even between a husband and wife. Can you imagine how many felons are in GA? Were they immoral for breaking a stupid law?

penguins4me

A consensual act vs a non-consensual act does not a fair comparison make.

Copyright laws being of questionable legitimacy does in no way nullify the creators' ownership of his/her/their works.

Expecting optional t-shirt sales to compare to requied initial price of admission does not seem to encorage production of entertainment. Very few concerts follow this model, for example.

Fragilityh14

I mean, I was making a play on the difference between free and open source, etc in my first post.

I do think that the right to manufacture a game for profit belongs to the creator, I feel differently about downloading a game when I am not depriving them of something.

This is why I was and still am a strong supporter of the Gamecubes proprietary disc: it is smaller and reads opposite of an average disc (from the outside in I think)...as far as I know it STILL isn't being copied on a large scale, and certainly not by home users.

Protect your assets I say ;)

I should also mention Nintendo is one of my favorite companies ever, especially being as their business model is actually just to create great software

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: penguins4me on August 13, 2007, 07:34 PM NHFT
Copyright laws being of questionable legitimacy does in no way nullify the creators' ownership of his/her/their works.

It's the legitimacy of this "ownership" that I question. I do not believe a person can "own" a piece of information. They can "own" their own copy, certainly, but a second copy of the work is not depriving them of ownership of anything.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on August 13, 2007, 07:56 PM NHFT
This is why I was and still am a strong supporter of the Gamecubes proprietary disc: it is smaller and reads opposite of an average disc (from the outside in I think)...as far as I know it STILL isn't being copied on a large scale, and certainly not by home users.

If it's not being copied, it's probably only because it's not popular enough for the various hacker crews to bother with it. As far as the actual protection the disk offers, it would probably take someone like Jon Lech Johansen (the DeCSS guy) about three minutes to crack it.

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on August 13, 2007, 07:56 PM NHFT
Protect your assets I say ;)

Since pretty much all DRM is broken within days of its exposure to the public, I say—provided there were no laws protecting DRM—let people try to use it. ;D

Fragilityh14

no that's the thing about the gamecube disc....it took a year and a half for someone to be able to copy the discs onto a computer, and I havn't heard if anyone else has been able to reproduce them, because I think Nintendo uses a special type of cd burner to create the discs or something...

The thing is there would be a huge market for recreating them: look at the huge factories they have creating black market versions of games for other systems faster and in way higher quantities.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on August 14, 2007, 02:42 PM NHFT
no that's the thing about the gamecube disc....it took a year and a half for someone to be able to copy the discs onto a computer, and I havn't heard if anyone else has been able to reproduce them, because I think Nintendo uses a special type of cd burner to create the discs or something...

The thing is there would be a huge market for recreating them: look at the huge factories they have creating black market versions of games for other systems faster and in way higher quantities.

Ah. Well if it's custom hardware, it makes more sense that people can't crack it easily.