• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Killington secession passes NH Senate

Started by KBCraig, May 22, 2005, 09:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

I don't think I saw this reported on Friday. I just saw it on WMUR's site.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4511692/detail.html

Killington Secession Wins Support From N.H. Senate
Senate Votes To Set Up Commission

POSTED: 10:25 am EDT May 20, 2005

CONCORD, N.H. -- The ski resort town of Killington, Vt., has moved a step closer to becoming part of New Hampshire.

The New Hampshire Senate voted on Thursday to set up a commission to negotiate the terms of Killington's secession, provided Vermont establishes a similar commission. That's considered unlikely.

The House already approved the bill, but must vote on it again because the Senate changed it. Gov. John Lynch has not said whether he would sign it.

In Killington, Norman Holcomb, chairman of the Select Board, said he hopes the secession talk will prompt changes in Vermont's tax system so town residents will change their minds about wanting to leave. In the meantime, he said residents are working to get Vermont lawmakers to set up a commission to negotiate with New Hampshire.

Vermont Gov. James Douglas said he's confident Killington will remain part of his state.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press.

John

I'm sure I read somthing a bit more "positive" in the Union Leader resently.
I'm not real big on the issue but, I wish them well.

Russell Kanning

I am sure the Vermont Governor is confident Killington will stay under his rule.........he can always use his STATE troops....I mean troopers. It is very important to keep these people under his control.

jgmaynard

You know..... it may be time to resurect an old idea I had that the FSP very nearly went through with (the nomination of Badnarik essentially doused the plans*).

A NH based airlift to Killington.......

We get a package together with all NH made goods (NH maple syrup, beer, etc.), and airlift it into Killington. We had worked out a number of the details, the airdrop would be easiest to do with an actual parachuist bringing the package with him/her, into a large parking lot in Killington.

Model this on the Berlin airdrop, and get lots of publicity for it....

The original idea was to have Amanda do the flying, but she seems busy.

Anyone interested?

JM

* The original idea pre-nomination was to have Michael do the drop (he had LOVED the idea!) after the nomination. But, he got nominated, and the people who started running his campaign didn't want to do it unless we could get CB to go along for the ride. Didn't happen.

Kat Kanning

We had been talking about having a meet and greet for Killington.  Maybe we could combine these two ideas?

Lloyd Danforth

I'll  bet Amanda would still be willing to do it.  What does it cost to rent a plane?

Russell Kanning

It would be easier to just drop a nice soft package instead of a person......
....or we could do a 3 pronged relief effort with our air lift.....radio free NH broadcast towards VT......and leaflet dropping

tracysaboe

Again, I really can't get behind this.

You know my reasons, if you've seen my posts on the other forum -- so unless somebody explicitely asks me to go into it, I won't again here. Just voicing my oppinion.

Tracy

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Well, we'll miss your efforts on this one, tracy.

Russell Kanning

I thought we were going to have tracy hand deliver NH maple syrup :'(

tracysaboe

Thought perhaps I should post my views from the other forum in case anyone here is unfamiliar with them.

This was my first attempt to communicate my concerns about jumping on this pro NH annexation of Killington Bandwagon.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=5956.0
Later, I got into it again.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=9424.0

Here's another post.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=9586.msg131237#msg131237

So, if anybody is interested in seeing my non-mainstream views, on the subject (who doesn't already know them, or is interested in a refresher.) there they are.

Tracy

zackbass

Quote from: KBCraig on May 22, 2005, 09:02 PM NHFT
I don't think I saw this reported on Friday. I just saw it on WMUR's site.
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4511692/detail.html
Killington Secession Wins Support From N.H. Senate
Senate Votes To Set Up Commission
POSTED: 10:25 am EDT May 20, 2005
CONCORD, N.H. -- The ski resort town of Killington, Vt., has moved a step closer to becoming part of New Hampshire.
The New Hampshire Senate voted on Thursday to set up a commission to negotiate the terms of Killington's secession, provided Vermont establishes a similar commission. That's considered unlikely.
The House already approved the bill, but must vote on it again because the Senate changed it. Gov. John Lynch has not said whether he would sign it.

Turn it around.
How can a libertarian Town (say, Grafton) immediately gain "Vermont Carry" and near-total freedom from the prying eyes of the New Hampshire State Police?  By seceding from New Hampshire and joining Vermont!
Both houses of the New Hampshire Legislature already have already approved this in principle; now all we have to do is get Vermont to agree!

This has imediate advantages for Personal Freedom.
Vermont already allows public nudity in parks; Grafton libertarians could simply declare all non-Private-Property areas of the Town a Park to keep Vermont Police at bay.

New Hampshire State Police will not be able to enforce any NH State Laws against the residents; and Vermont State Police won't be likely to have much presence unless asked by the Grafton residents.

FrankChodorov

Quotenow all we have to do is get Vermont to agree!

why would Vermont let it's cash cow go?

zackbass

Quote from: FrankChodorov on April 21, 2006, 07:01 PM NHFT

Quotenow all we have to do is get Vermont to agree!

why would Vermont let it's cash cow go?

No, this one is, a New Hampshire Town joins Vermont.  And Grafton is not what you'd call a cash cow, even for New Hampshire.