• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

what kind of ammo do you use the most?

Started by Dave Ridley, August 13, 2007, 12:58 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

dada wonder
also wondering if you're an NH resident, and if not how soon till u get here.

Dave Ridley

forgot to answer my own question...

i do, or will soon be doing...

7.62 x 39
9mm
.38 special
12 gauge

I will often accept any of the above in lieu of currency, assuming we can set an acceptable valuation.

penguins4me

Quote from: Scott Roth on August 13, 2007, 03:09 PM NHFT
.9mm

I lose my .9mm bullets among my pencil leads. ;)

I primarily use .22LR, 9x19mm, and .308 Winchester (also can use 7.62NATO in .308 chambers).

I also have uses for 7.62x39, .38 Special and .357 Magnum, as well as 2-3/4" 12-gauge slugs and shotshells.

Moving to NH isn't in the forseeable future, as I'm still more of a FSW kook.

porcupine kate

Quoteyeah, loading the mags isn't the problem, and yes, she can load the mags *2* rounds short to get them in (In KKKalifornia, the rules on storage and potential prison time for accidents are rather draconian, so I have to keep my weapon in a locked safe, unloaded).  the mags are really tightly coiled to keep the 10 round limit enforced.

the biggest problem is that the gun is just too big.  she cant really reach the mag release or slide release with her thumb, and the slide is also very tight and she has trouble gripping the slide hard enough to exert the force necessary to chamber a round.

I'm thinking if I went with a 1911 variant, it might be easier for her to operate, as the XD is a big gun, with a double stack magazine.  Only the USP is bigger.

I am a woman with small hands so most 1911's are too large for my hands.  The frame has a grip safety on the back and most models have the thicker grips installed. This makes the controls and the trigger very hard to reach for small handed people.  If you can't hold the gun securely and use controls easily it will make it very hard to shoot well.  It can also cause this wonderful shooting pain at the base of the thumb and down your wrist each time you pull the trigger.  Most large handed males will never experience this pain. Small handed people need to try out a bunch of different guns to find one that will be a good fit and easy to use. 

My favorite handgun is a 45 H&K USP Compact.  It has a double stack magazine that I have no trouble loading.  The frame is small enough and the controls are easy to reach and to use.  Many friends of mine have tried my H&K, both men and ladies, and found it very easy to shoot. This has been a great gun to introduce new shooters to .45 acp.  My H&K is easier to shoot than my 9mm Kahr (the 9 mm is easier to carry).  Like any other high-quality hand gun, they are not cheap.  New ones run $850-ish.  Used can be found between $550-$700.  I will always go with comfortable and very reliable in a gun even if I have to wait and save some more money.

Before you purchase another handgun, have your wife shoot as many different handguns as possible.  Go shooting with friends and try theirs out.  If there is a place to rent guns it is well worth it to spend the money to try a bunch of them out.

Some small lightweight guns can be very uncomfortable to actually shoot.  Heavier guns have less kick and are easier to handle while shooting even if they feel too heavy in your hands. Longer barrels are going to have less of a kick while shooting, even though they feel top heavy to new shooters. 

If she hasn't done a lot of shooting I would recommend really good hearing protection.  I wear inserts in my ears and earmuffs on top.  Most ladies are more sensitive to the loud noise.

I shoot a bunch of other calibers too. ;D

anthonybpugh

.22 LR and 12 gauge. 

I'm moving to NH in a couple of weeks. 

error

Lex

Moving:
Already here.

Calibers:
.40 S&W (Springfield Armory XD 40)
5.56NATO (Robinson Armament XCR)
6.8 Rem. SPC (Robinson Armament XCR) (soon, waiting to get conversion kit)
7.62x39 (Robinson Armament XCR) (soon, waiting to get conversion kit)
.270 (Remington 700)

I may eventually also use .308, I would like to get another Remington 700 and an FN FAL in this caliber.

Oh, almost forgot, .177 pellets for my air rifle.

money dollars

9mm for carry

After fired at phone books, from left to right:
first 4 FMJ,  5 and 6 JHP, 7 and 8 JHP hi-shock +p+, 9 and 10 Expanding FMJ +p

I like the 124 grain +p expanding FMJ for carry.

41mag

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned .22LR.  Cheap and easy to shoot.  I used to go through a bunch of it when I went to the range.

I addition to the .22LR I also load my own:

.41 magnum (no surprise I hope)  ;)
.38 sp or .357 magnum

Would like to get another 10mm though.  I currently don't have any auto loaders.

d_goddard

Dave Ridley

Quote from: GraniteForge on August 13, 2007, 02:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 13, 2007, 01:15 PM NHFT
forgot to answer my own question...

i do, or will soon be doing...

7.62 x 39
9mm
.3 special
12 gauge

I will often accept any of the above in lieu of currency, assuming we can set an acceptable valuation.

ya, luger/parab

I'm guessing that you mean ".38" 'special,' and use that in the sense of a nickname for .38 S&W Special? 

and by "9mm," I would guess that you mean the 9x19mm (Luger or Parabellum) "9mm," and not any of the many other 9mm cartridges?

If so, is the Glock you carry a 17 or 19?  What carry ammo do you favor?

higheye

i get winchester white box .40 S&W from walmart for $21.88 box of 100rds FMJ and winchester white box .40 S&W JHP $26.88 100rds

i also play around with winchester .223 powerpoint and winchester SXT .357 sig

update on my new pistol: TACK DRIVING MACHINE AT 25 YARDS!!!

anthonybpugh

ancapagency

.22LR (doesn't everyone?)
.38 S&W (Webley Mark IV, my loaner for wheel-gun fans and "recoil sensitive" types )
.45 ACP  (John Moses Browning is God)
.303 British
7mm Mauser
7.5mm Swiss
7.62x54R

vanguardist

I'm about to get a 12ga mossberg 500 and will get low recoil tactical rounds for home defense in 00

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=149