• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tuath Network

Started by Lex, August 14, 2007, 08:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

Feature List & Status

[Done]
Website Design
Invitation System
Item Listings

[InProgress]
Refactoring the Trading Post section
Adding Comments to Links (Friday)

[ToDo]
Add Pictures to Item Listings (TackleTheWorld)
Show Items on Map (TackleTheWorld)
Job Listings
Bartering System
Personals
An optional public page displaying whatever attributes of your that you would like to make public. A resume for example.
Possibly integrate with Porc 411, any new messages will be displayed at the top of the site.

Lex

If you would like to help I need your name and email address to boot strap the system with a few tuath members. Either post it here or PM me. Thanks!

Lex

I have registered the following domain name: http://tuathnetwork.com

Lex

I need help coming up with a tiered trust system. So, when someone adds you as a friend or you add someone as a friend you can specify how much you trust this person. I'm thinking of doing a -1 to 4 system. But I've only spent a few minutes thinking about this so there's probably much room for improvement:

4 With My Life
3 Very Trusting
2 Trusting
1 Friend
0 Acquaintance
-1 Distrust

Lex

I looked at LinkedIn and they don't seem to have any way to add a quality of trust attribute to the links. You are either added to the person or not. I still think it's useful to be able to designate your trust in the link. If someone is untrustworthy you would want others to know about it. But maybe it should be simpler:

Trust
Neutral
Do Not Trust

Dreepa

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 14, 2007, 10:33 PM NHFT
I need help coming up with a tiered trust system. So, when someone adds you as a friend or you add someone as a friend you can specify how much you trust this person. I'm thinking of doing a -1 to 4 system. But I've only spent a few minutes thinking about this so there's probably much room for improvement:

4 With My Life
3 Very Trusting
2 Trusting
1 Friend
0 Acquaintance
-1 Distrust
I like something like this.

Lex

What would you REALLY like to see in the first alpha release? So far I was thinking I could get the following together rather quickly:

1. Being able to login and see a home page.
2. Add skills.
3. View an aggregate of everyones skills on one page.
4. Add item for sale. (For Sale)
5. Add item you want to buy. (Wanted)
6. View list of members and add them to your friends list.

I could also try to fit in a prototype of the invite and linking stuff into the first release.

But let me know if there is anything you specifically would really like to see first.

Lex

I neet tester, please PM me or post here your email if you have 5 minutes to try out the program.

The login page is here but you need an invite to login.

Russell Kanning

if someone invites me ... I will fill out some info :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 14, 2007, 08:36 PM NHFT
In '06 I started a website to help people network and specifically to link job seekers with job offers (threads: nhfree, fsp, ftl). The website sortof died off because there didn't seem to be a great deal of support for it and this was also right before my move to NH so priorities kindof shifted eslewhere. I'm now ready to start the project back up I have more ambitious goals than last time. Here is a preliminary feature list and vision for this project:

1. Website will be by invitation only, any existing user can invite someone else.
2. Create job listings and resume listings. Rate others on their work. (similar to ebays rating system, but I'm open to other ideas).
3. Ability to list items for sale and/or barter. The system will facilitate an bartering interface where you can make offers.
4. Personals.
5. An optional public page displaying whatever attributes of your that you would like to make public. A resume for example.
6. Possibly integrate with Porc 411, any new messages will be displayed at the top of the site.
7. And other stuff I haven't thought of yet...

If it's invite only, this site should be SSL, too. No point in keeping people out if you're not also keeping eavesdroppers out.

Lex

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 16, 2007, 10:27 AM NHFT
In '06 I started a website to help people network and specifically to link job seekers with job offers (threads: nhfree, fsp, ftl). The website sortof died off because there didn't seem to be a great deal of support for it and this was also right before my move to NH so priorities kindof shifted eslewhere. I'm now ready to start the project back up I have more ambitious goals than last time. Here is a preliminary feature list and vision for this project:

1. Website will be by invitation only, any existing user can invite someone else.
2. Create job listings and resume listings. Rate others on their work. (similar to ebays rating system, but I'm open to other ideas).
3. Ability to list items for sale and/or barter. The system will facilitate an bartering interface where you can make offers.
4. Personals.
5. An optional public page displaying whatever attributes of your that you would like to make public. A resume for example.
6. Possibly integrate with Porc 411, any new messages will be displayed at the top of the site.

If it's invite only, this site should be SSL, too. No point in keeping people out if you're not also keeping eavesdroppers out.

I will add SSL before it goes out of beta.

In terms of security, the most secure thing is not to have the site, seriously. There is always the possibility of social hacking whereby a Tuath member is befriended and invites the hacker into the tuath, in the end there is no way to have a truely secure system, the best we can do is keep the honest people honest and the undetermined hackers out. SSL, invite only, and other features will go a long way towards that goal but you shouldn't let your guard down just because your connection is encrypted (hackers never target the encryption, they target the pre-encryption (sitting on your computer) and post-encryption (sitting in the servers database) parts). As for the government, they could simply ask the ISP for the database and I wouldn't even know it (this of course can be remedied, maybe down the line if some is willing to take responsibility for protecting the data and is able to host it on their server, although this goes back to trust...)

Think of the Tuath Network as more of a collaborative tool than a safe data storage medium.

Lex

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 16, 2007, 05:44 AM NHFT
if someone invites me ... I will fill out some info :)

I will be sending invites tonight.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 16, 2007, 10:45 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 16, 2007, 10:27 AM NHFT

4. Personals.

I will add SSL before it goes out of beta.

In terms of security, the most secure thing is not to have the site, seriously. There is always the possibility of social hacking whereby a Tuath member is befriended and invites the hacker into the tuath, in the end there is no way to have a truely secure system, the best we can do is keep the honest people honest and the undetermined hackers out. SSL, invite only, and other features will go a long way towards that goal but you shouldn't let your guard down just because your connection is encrypted (hackers never target the encryption, they target the pre-encryption (sitting on your computer) and post-encryption (sitting in the servers database) parts). As for the government, they could simply ask the ISP for the database and I wouldn't even know it (this of course can be remedied, maybe down the line if some is willing to take responsibility for protecting the data and is able to host it on their server, although this goes back to trust...)

Think of the Tuath Network as more of a collaborative tool than a safe data storage medium.

This is all true, but transmission encryption certainly protects against a lot of the passive spying on the network level that's purportedly going on nowadays. If someone were actually hacked, individually targeted by a keylogger or "Magic Lantern" or somesuch, or the ISP were hit with a CALEA request, there's not much you can do to protect against it.

In a few weeks I might have some suggestions on the hosting issue you bring up, so hold onto that thought. :D

Lex

Invites sent to Russell and TickleTheWorld. If anyone else wants to try it please PM me or post your email here.

Most things obviously don't work yet. This is more of a preview of what's to come than anything. Here is what you can do though:

1. If you click into Network -> Invites, you can send invites to people. Don't get carried away on that one though, at least not yet :P
1b. After an invite is sent it will show up under pending, after someone accepts the invite they will be moved from pending to your Links.
2. If you click into Trading Post -> Sell or Trading Post -> Buy, you can list something for sale and see what other have listed for sale. Can't edit, delete or search yet, only add and view.
3. Navigate through the menus and see if you have suggestions on what I should add or if the menus are confusing, etc.

Thanks!

Oh, and keep in mind that I will probably delete all of the data when I make another code push out to the server.

Friday

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 16, 2007, 02:18 PM NHFT
Invites sent to Russell and TickleTheWorld.

:laughing1:

I never joined the Freedom Friends Tuath (unclear if there's a connection or not?), but I'd be happy to be a beta-tester.