• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

National ID Rebellion

Started by Kat Kanning, May 24, 2005, 04:44 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

If Russell's event is as successful as I hope it will be, the media coverage could be unprecedented in the history of the libertarian movement.

We should have plans and press releases prepared for the National ID Rebellion civil disobedience event to be announced during the peak of his press coverage.  We can pass the press release along to everyone we speak to.

The event could be simple to organize.  For example:

On Independence Day, at noon, (not adjusted for time zones so the coverage will be continuous throughout the day) social security cards and passports will be burned illegally at state capitals and town halls across the country.

Or it could be at the capitol building in Concord and only towns across New Hampshire.  It depends on the success of Russell's event.

citizen_142002

Listen, I hate the idea of REAL ID as much as any of you,
but there is NO nationally mandated ID yet. The New Hampshire legislature may yet vote not to comply with the federal requirements. The law is not a mandate, and states still have a choice.
People don't have to get arrested every time we make a point. We should be happy that there are still legal ways to protest in this country.
I would also ask why we should use illegal means as a first resort in communicating our ideas. There is an appropriate time and place for such action, but the state has not yet decided to go along with this.
I like Russell's protest because our right to travel is already overly restricted, but you do not yet need to submit to a federal ID database to deal with the federal government.
If REAL ID becomes a reality, everyone could use a passport to deal with the Feds. I believe that the feds would obtain less info through such documents.
Let's not lose credibility in the eyes of the establishment, while this battle is still being waged in the legislature. It would seem more apropriate to use illegal means of defiance IF this law is adopted.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: citizen_142002 on June 07, 2005, 10:52 PM NHFT
but there is NO nationally mandated ID yet. The New Hampshire legislature may yet vote not to comply with the federal requirements. The law is not a mandate, and states still have a choice.
Yes, and we should be active to draw NH's attention to making the right choice, and refusing the ID, thereby severing most (all?) federal ties.  It would be a huge step towards Liberty.

QuotePeople don't have to get arrested every time we make a point.
No, people don't have to get arrested, but the press coverage is sure heavier when arrests happen.  Most protests don't generate that much coverage.

QuoteWe should be happy that there are still legal ways to protest in this country.
I would also ask why we should use illegal means as a first resort in communicating our ideas.
Simple.  The laws are bad.  They deserve to be broken.  It's our duty as good Americans to break unjust laws.  Then fight them in court via Jury Nullification.  Our positions are honorable, and principled.

QuoteThere is an appropriate time and place for such action, but the state has not yet decided to go along with this.
Again, we need to ensure they do not.

QuoteLet's not lose credibility in the eyes of the establishment, while this battle is still being waged in the legislature. It would seem more apropriate to use illegal means of defiance IF this law is adopted.
It's only awaiting Georgie Boy's signature, and if you know Georgie, you know he loves to sign bills.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: citizen_142002 on June 07, 2005, 10:52 PM NHFT
If REAL ID becomes a reality, everyone could use a passport to deal with the Feds.
The Feds took away my passport a couple of years ago. Some of us don't want to use any ID.

Lloyd Danforth

I will Never, ever, carry a Fucking National ID Card!

Kat Kanning

citizen_142002

The Federal laws ARE bad, but New Hampshire's government can still not follow them. We do need to make a point to the state, but if we use civil disobiedience now, then what leverage do we have in the future.
We ought to tell Concord that they should not comply with REAL ID, and IF they do, then we will not obey this new and unjust law. Don't use every resource that you have at once. If and when New Hampshire complies with REAL ID, then I will be glad to take part in some civil disobiedience myself.
Your goals are admirable, but it is unrealistic to think that New Hampshire will sever most federal ties over an ID act that is not yet in force, especially when it can choose to not cooperate with just this act.
I'm dicussing tactics here, not ideals. Live Free or Die.

Dreepa

FTL_Ian

Someone needs to call in the 8pm hour tonight when we're on in NH and give us the lowdown... please do not call during the 7p hour!

ravelkinbow

I have to say I am in agreement.  First try to keep the legistlators on our side, hopefully the NH Reps and Senators will join with other states in refusing to follow a national ID act.  That does't mean do nothing, but flooding them with e-mails, letter, phone calls, and petitions maybe the first step.  Make sure their is a good showing of people when the matter is heard on the floor to sign the sheet against it and perhaps those that are inclinded or have the know how can speak.

Oh, course if all else fails and the powers that be don't take the appropriate stand on this matter than acts of civil disobedience would be in order.

Lloyd Danforth

As an inclusive Porc, I see a blend of 'street theater' and working within the system to get the message to the people and NH's government.

Russell Kanning

these are the guys I don't trust with RFID here

Kat Kanning

From today's Monadnock Shopper

[attachment deleted by admin]

Caleb

I'm new to New Hampshire ... can anyone tell me what the process is for putting a referendum on the ballot?  Maybe we could get a NH referendum to condemn the national id and have NH opt out of it, as well as sending a strongly worded rebuke to the feds.

Caleb

Kat Kanning

On the state level, there's no way to do that.  You find a sympathetic representative and ask him to promote your bill.