• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Legal guns in Salem

Started by John, August 19, 2007, 12:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John

GONH meeting tonight @ 7:00 @ the Holliday Inn in Concord.  See you there?

grasshopper

Ahhh, crap!  Whens the next one?
   Hey my buddy Harold Morrisette goes to those meetings.  He is Jr.  from Jr.s gunsmithing.  You'll be able to recognise him.  He has a kind of dark complexion/black hair, he should have atv patches on his coat or a insight tech. coat on or something.  He has a voice that will fill a room.  Oh ya, he has glasses also.  Nice man.

John

Quote from: grasshopper on August 22, 2007, 08:42 AM NHFT
Whens the next one?

3rd Tuesday each month, Concord Holliday Inn, 7:00 p.m. . . . nice folks.

John

One of Salem's two weeklys, the "Salem Community Patriot", (which is the new one) reports its "The Salem Police Log" for this week:

"Saturday, August 18:  12:12 a.m.  Assault, South Broadway; arrests: Stephen Torigian, 19, Lowell, Massachusetts, Simple Assault, Disorderly Conduct, Unlawful Possession, Alcohol, and Timothy Torigian, 21, Salem, False Report.  10:24 a.m.  Debris, Route 93.  11:30 a.m.  Suspicious activity, Bluff Street.  1:49 p.m.  Motor vehicle accident, Rockingham Park Boulevard and Mall Road.  3:20 p.m.  Road Rage, North Policy Street and Marianna Road.  3:40 p.m.  Credit Card Fraud, South Broadway; arrested Jamal Lewis, 32, Roosevelt, New York, Fraud and Resisting Arrest.  3:50 p.m.  Criminal mischief, Zion Hill Road.  4:02 p.m.  Hit and run, Lake Street and Bluff Street.  4:08 p.m.  Theft, Main Street.  4:30 p.m.  Drug activity, Lancelot Court; arrested Edwin Rogus, 41, Rochester, Possession, Controlled Drug.  5:29 p.m.  Suspicious activity, Ackerman Street.  5:50 p.m.  Motor vehicle offense, Cross Street; arrested Sean Nolan, 22, Methuen, Operation After Suspension, Misuse, License Plates, Disobeying a Police Officer.  5:59 p.m.  Hit and run, South Broadway.  Motor vehicle accident, North Broadway.  7:39 p.m.  Suspicious activity, Pelham Road and Brookdale Road.  7:59 p.m.  Fireworks Complaint, Kelly Road.  9:23 p.m.  Motor Vehicle Fire, Pelham Road, Unfounded."

mvpel

Based on what you mentioned about these guys at the meeting, I wonder if they might have had them under surveillance?

John

Good point.  Thanks!
What else would cause them (the police and/or the paper) to report this as "Drug activity?"  It hardly seems like "drug activity" to respond to a call about folks with totaly legal guns . . .

As it turns out (after I spent a small amount of time with them) I am NOT-AT-ALL in agreement with the aparent veiws of some my neighbor's friends (and I won't be - and have not been - associating with them) they still have basic rights.

Now, I'm even MORE conflicted about doing any follow up with the local police.

Maybe (?) now it is even more important to get the 911 call & report . . .

Any advise?   :-[

error

I think you'll have a much easier time determining the right thing to do if you have a better idea of exactly what happened, and hearing the 911 call could only help with that.

KBCraig

I've posted a relevant SCOTUS ruling here:

http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=10207.msg178913#msg178913

Being called and told that people "have guns!", when having guns is perfectly legal in NH, is not justification to conduct an investigatory stop (aka "Terry stop"). Anything arising from such an unconstitutional investigation is poisoned as evidence.

If the car owner gave consent to the search, he's probably screwed. But if he didn't, he has a strong case for suppressing the illegally discovered pot plant.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

Whoa...I hadn't read this thread...thought it was some theoretical gun discussion. 

That really sucks, john!  I can't believe they made you all get down on the ground when they knew there was no problem.  >:(

RobFromSalem

Unfortunately the guy did agree to a search, fearing they would search anyway and thinking it would just be easier to face the music as they say. Bail wound up being $30 and John went with me to the police station and we sat for quite awhile, even though he doesn't know either of us. Much thanks to him!

If you haven't figured it out - I'm Johns neighbor. I always carry my guns from the building to the car when I go shooting, that was the first time anyone has had a problem. I think it was a neighbor who I walked in front of on my way to the car with two rifles. My wife and I work alot and aren't home much, so we haven't met anyone in the 2 years I've lived at the complex, other than John who struck up a conversation after seeing a Ron Paul sign in the car window.

A week before I'd applied for my carry permit (8/13). To make a long story short I called the station on 8/27 to see if it was approved. The woman said it was on the Chiefs desk pending an investigation into what happened on the 18th. I told her it'd been well over the 14 days and she told me she was on vacation for a week so it would take longer than that! I picked it up that weekend, but was kinda hoping I'd get denied so I could see them in court.

Anyway . . I hope ya don't mind me posting here. Might not agree with everything everyone has to say, but a good 50% isn't too bad. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two ;)

KBCraig

Welcome to the Underground, Rob! Thanks for telling the story.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: RobFromSalem on September 17, 2007, 05:07 PM NHFT
Unfortunately the guy did agree to a search, fearing they would search anyway and thinking it would just be easier to face the music as they say. Bail wound up being $30 and John went with me to the police station and we sat for quite awhile, even though he doesn't know either of us. Much thanks to him!

If you haven't figured it out - I'm Johns neighbor. I always carry my guns from the building to the car when I go shooting, that was the first time anyone has had a problem. I think it was a neighbor who I walked in front of on my way to the car with two rifles. My wife and I work alot and aren't home much, so we haven't met anyone in the 2 years I've lived at the complex, other than John who struck up a conversation after seeing a Ron Paul sign in the car window.

A week before I'd applied for my carry permit (8/13). To make a long story short I called the station on 8/27 to see if it was approved. The woman said it was on the Chiefs desk pending an investigation into what happened on the 18th. I told her it'd been well over the 14 days and she told me she was on vacation for a week so it would take longer than that! I picked it up that weekend, but was kinda hoping I'd get denied so I could see them in court.

Anyway . . I hope ya don't mind me posting here. Might not agree with everything everyone has to say, but a good 50% isn't too bad. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two ;)

The fourteen-day limit is mandated by the state; cities and towns don't have any leeway here. You could've taken them to court as soon as the fourteen days elapsed and they admitted it still wouldn't be for a few more days.

RobFromSalem

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 17, 2007, 10:32 PM NHFT
The fourteen-day limit is mandated by the state; cities and towns don't have any leeway here. You could've taken them to court as soon as the fourteen days elapsed and they admitted it still wouldn't be for a few more days.

I don't have a pistol to carry anyway so I wasn't in any hurry. The woman on the phone asked me to check at the end of the week, so I did and it was approved. If it wasn't then I woulda pushed it, being a week past the 14 days they would have had to give it to me or see me in court :) Thanks for the welcome KBCraig

Dave Ridley

thanks for joining the forum rob.  let us know if you are experiencing any misbehavior from the authorities.

i had an open carry incident in salem in 05 and one of the cops was pretty ugly with me... but as usual with NH open carry it all worked out for the best

Seamas

It's very unfortunate that the guy agreed to a search.  I can see why some people are cowed into doing something like this by the police though.  I suspect the police are given training on how to dishonestly say things like "it's going to be easier on you if you cooperate", etc.  I think everyone should check out http://flexyourrights.org/, especially because the same things that could get someone in trouble for drugs apply to firearms in some states (predictably, the ACLU focuses on drug busts and not Second Amendment infringement).

Good for you for being a stand up guy and helping this unfortunate stranger out!  Also, I doubt anyone agrees 100% with what everyone here has to say - it would be logically impossible.

Quote from: RobFromSalem on September 17, 2007, 05:07 PM NHFT