• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Car just died

Started by Bald Eagle, August 19, 2007, 05:51 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Bald Eagle

Thought it was a dead battery, but looks like it might be the starter.

Got lights, radio, hazards, etc.  After trying to charge the battery some, when the key is turned there's a short series of clicks (starter solenoid?) and then nada.

I'm gonna go get the Chilton's, but any help in determining if the starter actually is dead before I go out and buy a new one and replace it would be much appreciated.  I'd rather keep my money in the Porcupine network if I'm going to be spending it.  I've got a hydraulic jack and jack stands and a fairly decent set of tools.

1995 Saturn SL1 SOHC

603-513-2534

KBCraig

Could be either the starter relay or solenoid. It could even be just a bad battery cable or bad connection on your ground.

Lloyd Danforth

In the unlikely event that  removing it is easy, take the starter out, ground it and stick a screwdriver or attach a jumper of some kind between where the pos cable hooks up and the other 'appropriate' connection, and see if the drive gear advances and motor turns.

Rosie the Riveter

That sucks -- I hope you get it up and running soon....

Dreepa

Harry's in Warner... (the dumpy place across the street from you on Main Street)  is a good place to go.
The guy is solid... doesn't overcharge and may even take a payment plan.
Very trustworthy and has been there for about 40 years.

If you need to borrow a car in the mean time let me know.

Lloyd Danforth

Jim Johnson

The click means the starter solenoid plunger is moving.
The down and dirty way to find out if the problem is with the solenoid contactor or the starter motor is to short across the two heavy leads on starter solenoid.  That will by pass the solenoid, either the starter motor will turn or it won't.  If it does the starter solenoid is bad.  If it doesn't there is a 99.9% probability that the starter motor is bad.  0.09% is a bad positive battery cable including battery connection and the connection at the solenoid.  0.01% is the connection on the starter motor side of the solenoid.  The connection typically becomes loose and then over heats. 

Bald Eagle

Heh heh.

I could have another Frankenstein car.

I used to have a Nissan with a bad switch in the key cylinder.  I just wired up a doorbell button, turned the key, pushed the button, and off I went.  The guy at the Saturn dealership brought everyone out to see it when I wanted to trade it in.   8)

David

Quote from: Bald Eagle on August 19, 2007, 09:17 PM NHFT
Heh heh.

I could have another Frankenstein car.

I used to have a Nissan with a bad switch in the key cylinder.  I just wired up a doorbell button, turned the key, pushed the button, and off I went.  The guy at the Saturn dealership brought everyone out to see it when I wanted to trade it in.   8)
:biglaugh:
Sorry about your luck, or lack thereof.   :-\

A whack on the starter with a tire iron has worked for me in the past. Not a long term solution but could save you a towing fee.

Be careful when you're working near the solenoid. A wedding ring or jewelry could get you hurt.