• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

ASP.Net/SQL Webhosting

Started by MatthewDP, August 24, 2007, 02:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MatthewDP

Anyone recommend a good webhost that does asp.net?

error

Quote from: MatthewDP on August 24, 2007, 02:24 PM NHFT

If a web host does ASP.Net, I don't consider them good.

Lex

Quote from: Beavis on August 24, 2007, 02:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: MatthewDP on August 24, 2007, 02:24 PM NHFT

If a web host does ASP.Net, I don't consider them good.

+1

Try PHP, Perl or Python for language and MySQL or PostgreSQL for database. (I recommend Python \w PostgreSQL using the PsycopPG db interface lib. and a template framework that uses the TAL/METAL standard for web interface, I have my own custom version based on SimpleTAL with a few fixes that I can send you.)

MatthewDP

I'm sorry, you must of misheard me, I didn't say "Please attack ASP.Net and spout off about how open source technologies are great." Jeesh...can't even answer a simple tech question anymore...

Lex

Quote from: MatthewDP on August 25, 2007, 08:45 PM NHFT
I'm sorry, you must of misheard me, I didn't say "Please attack ASP.Net and spout off about how open source technologies are great." Jeesh...can't even answer a simple tech question anymore...

Because by definition ASP.NET has to be run on a windows platform. And windows servers suck. So even if ASP.Net is really great it's very limited on what it can run on.

error

Well, you would have otherwise gotten no answer at all. :)

PowerPenguin

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on August 25, 2007, 08:47 PM NHFT

Because by definition ASP.NET has to be run on a windows platform. And windows servers suck. So even if ASP.Net is really great it's very limited on what it can run on.

No it doesn't. There are modules for Apache that more or less convert asp to perl or PHP, afaik. Never used it, just saw it in Linux Magazine a year or two ago.

Alternatively, there are some perl scripts out there that will convert all your source code from ASP to PHP  pretty well. Expect some fubars, especially if your code is really complex, but 90% of the work would be taken out from the beginning at least.