• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mayor Guinta wants to meet local free staters sept 3

Started by Dave Ridley, August 24, 2007, 04:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ny2nh

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on September 03, 2007, 10:25 PM NHFT
Is it possible for an area to not have trash pick-up?  Yes, it is common all over America. 
Does it even happen in NH?  Yes, of course, most of NH is like that? 
Does it cause a lot of problems?  No, of course not.  It makes things better.

Case in point, in TN outside of the cities (where the vast majority of the land is) there is no government trash pick-up.  What do people do?  They either remove the trash themself or hire one of the private companies (and there are many).

Problem solved.

What about people that live in Condos or Apartment buildings?
At least where I live, the entire state of TN (or everywhere I have ever been to, at least), they already use private trash pick-up.

Is there any need for any place in NH to have government trash pick-up?  No.

You even say outside the cities in TN - I think that is part of the issue, this is a city and what works in less populated communities does not necessarily work in larger cities. You and I might be willing to pay for trash private pick-up (I've lived places where I have done that) but there are far too many rental properties - especially those with absentee landlords - that don't have people as considerate as we might be. Even now, there is a process for getting large trash like furniture picked up by the city. You have to call and then they will come pick it up....you can't just throw it out on the sidewalk....but that is exactly what people do. People can't even be bothered to call for a pick up.

Make that department more efficient and we will have reduced the size of gov't - not as far as some may like, but it will be reduced somewhat. Eliminate some trucks so that the collectors are actually working the 8 hours we're paying them for and they're bringing full truck to Auburn rather than partials.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: ny2nh on September 04, 2007, 05:23 AM NHFT
Quote from: Beavis on September 03, 2007, 08:30 PM NHFT
I believe that Kat was arrested for exercising a right that was supposedly guaranteed by that goddamned piece of paper widely known as the First Amendment.
Like I said - I cannot disagree that she may have been wrongly arrested because I don't know the story - but I don't see how that is the fault of the mayor specifically. Not debating whether she was wronged or not - rather wondering if the finger pointing is directed at the wrong person.

He was mayor when Dave was harassed over open carry and should be held responsible for his police.  He should be able to assure us that that won't happen again.  I don't know if he was mayor when the feds told the Manchester Police to arrest Kat and Russell when they were peacefully holding signs, on public property.  Someone has to ask him if he would do the bidding of the feds if requested to, or, defend the 1st Amendment of people in his city.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on September 04, 2007, 01:39 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 03, 2007, 11:44 PM NHFT
It's probably not necessary. But if we were to try to eliminate it in Manchester, now, it would probably be so unpopular as to guarantee that the politician who supported the elimination wouldn't be reëlected.

Because they need big government so much more in Manchester than in Keene?

Did they recently eliminate public trash pickup in Keene? If they were able to get away with it without pissing off too many people, I'd like to know more about it; it'd be instructive on how we might be able to do something similar in Manchester.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 04, 2007, 09:28 AM NHFT
Did they recently eliminate public trash pickup in Keene? If they were able to get away with it without pissing off too many people, I'd like to know more about it; it'd be instructive on how we might be able to do something similar in Manchester.

Get away with it?  It is the stand way things work in NH and much of the country.  In fact, even when the government does it, they often subcontract the work to a private company.  That is how places like Memphis do it (population 700,000).  But I still consider it government as people in the urban areas right outside the city of Memphis get to select which company they want and the people inside the city do not get to select which company.

About Keene, the only reason I mentioned it is because they talk on FTL about how it has private trash pickup but I guess it doesn't matter eithe way since private trash pickup is the standard in NH.

error

I'd rather have three or four lean and hungry small businesses competing for my trash pickup business than to have the inefficient government wasting twice as much of my money on it as I otherwise would have paid. But, you know, I'm one of those crazy libertarians...

J’raxis 270145

I agree that trash pickup should be private; that wasn't the issue I was arguing over. I'm saying that it would be political suicide for the mayor or aldermen to privatize the public trash service we currently have in Manchester, because it would be massively unpopular. Downsizing the local government has to be done one step at a time, the least disruptive things first...

Russell Kanning

so ... do you think the cops in manchester will get better any time soon?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on September 04, 2007, 08:34 PM NHFT
so ... do you think the cops in manchester will get better any time soon?

I think they learnt their lesson over harassment of open-carriers, at least, but I wasn't involved in any of these conversations directly so I can't be sure.