• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Making a Moving to New Hampshire Guide

Started by porcupine kate, August 29, 2007, 08:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

I'm looking for help, tips, and information to make a check list and a guide to help make it easier to move to the Free State.  I'm looking for conventional information and alternative methods.  The idea is to have lists of information on planing the move, things you need to take care of, stuff you need to do when you get here, and where to find stuff.  We want to have this printed up and ready to give out in the information packets at the liberty forum.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Kate

Dreepa

Things to include:

how do I register a car?  How much does it cost?

How do I register to vote?  Do I need X Y, z?

How do I get a DL and what do I need.

How do I get a concealed carry permit (I did that on purpose)?

David

Easy sources of info is the questions for nh residents section of this forum. 
I would definitely suggest info on various cities as which city is a very common question. 
You may also include a list of several activist friendly websites and youtube videos to give potential recruits a taste of what is actually happening here. 

toowm

If you're not from the northeast, consider buying a GPS unit for you car - the winding, name-changing, unmarked roads take a while to get used to.

KBCraig

Quote from: toowm on August 29, 2007, 11:21 PM NHFT
If you're not from the northeast, consider buying a GPS unit for you car - the winding, name-changing, unmarked roads take a while to get used to.

I'm from the rural Mid-South. My address while growing up was "the house by the tree in the middle of the road". Thank you, Shorty Dawkins, for visiting Arkansas!

Winding, name-changing, unmarked roads are nothing new to me. I own maps, and know how to read them, and am not ashamed to talk to locals and translate their directions into my own language.

Kevin

error

Quote from: KBCraig on August 30, 2007, 02:02 AM NHFT
I'm from the rural Mid-South. My address while growing up was "the house by the tree in the middle of the road". Thank you, Shorty Dawkins, for visiting Arkansas!

I know exactly where that is! Wait, maybe I don't. Was it the tree in the middle of the road, or your house in the middle of the road? ;D

JonM

Quote from: Beavis on August 30, 2007, 03:45 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 30, 2007, 02:02 AM NHFT

I know exactly where that is! Wait, maybe I don't. Was it the tree in the middle of the road, or your house in the middle of the road? ;D
I only went to government school to learn English, but I'd say both were in the middle of the road.

porcupine kate

I was also interested in information on helping people get organized to do the move. Feel free to flood me with tons of information.

Kat Kanning

hokey, but useful if you want to declutter/organize your stuff/get rid of stuff:

http://www.flylady.net/

Rochelle

Tell 'em when preparing their resume for job hunting up here, they'll get more bites if they put an NH address on there even if they haven't moved yet. I applied for several jobs with a Kansas address and got no responses...changed it to an address in NH (where I did end up moving :P) and immediately got a bite :P

Little Owl

QuoteTell 'em when preparing their resume for job hunting up here, they'll get more bites if they put an NH address on there even if they haven't moved yet.

Very true.  I got turned down for two jobs for no other reason than my not living in NH.  Of course, the downside of issuing a NH address is that you eliminate any hope of being reimbursed for moving expenses.

If you're trying to choose the town to live in, pay close attention to the property tax rates.  They vary significantly in NH (much more than many other states).

My town is requiring me to provide three written references for my concealed carry permit.  I didn't think this was allowed, but they placed no restrictions on the references.  Two are out of state.

GPS is valuable.  I come from a state where one can safely assume that any two points have a more-or-less straight line road path.  This is not so in NH, and it takes some getting used to.

Porcupine Realtor

Kate,
I'd be happy to help you with this project.  No, I don't want to take it over, but perhaps I can help with layout, editing, and compiling some information.
You don't want to reinvent the wheel -- so much of the information is already out there.  You can link to almost everything, so if you are the clearinghouse for helpful sites and have it compiled all in one place, that would be helpful.

There are some good forum threads on various aspects of the move (email providers, health insurance, DL, etc.).  Perhaps the pertinent posts could be culled from those and put together in a readable format.

Feel free to PM me with how I might be able to help.

porcupine kate

Thank you I will need all the help I can get. 
Are you going to be at Taproom Tuesday? Rattydog  and cathleeninnh are also going to help.

Head down to Target and purchase a $15 Trac phone when you get into town. Activate it online and you'll have a 603 area code a total of 20 minutes air time. Including your area code when giving out your telephone number is a dead give away that you're new in town. Don't do it.

picaro

PM me an email address and I'll send you an invite to Google's GrandCentral.  (free local phone number)  Never mind... no numbers in NH, Maine, Alaska, or Hawaii.   :'(

Or you can try AOL's AIM Digits... but I think that is tied to your computer.