• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Huckabee Supports Fed Smoking Ban. Jeeeeeesh!

Started by Gard, August 29, 2007, 09:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Gard

Next time ol Mike is in the state, let's press him about his statement at the Lance Armstrong Forum that he would sign a federal smoking ban. Amazing.

He pushed one through in Arkansas when he was gub-nor there. What a guy, huh?

KBCraig

His Arkansas smoking ban covers all buildings open to the public (even private clubs), if anyone under 21 is allowed to enter at any time (even when the business is closed, or if there is no smoking when they're there).

He also pushed a ban on smoking in a car if there is a child in a child safety seat (which is required through the age of 5 in Arkansas).

Not to mention, he required that every public school student be weighed and measured, and their parents received "BMI report cards". Schools spent millions complying with that one.

But... it's for the children! ::)

toowm

There's a new meetup group for Homeschooling Ron Paul supporters. http://ronpaul.meetup.com/801/files/ There are some great files on how Huckabee messed with homeschoolers while governor. And he still got the HSLDA endorsement. >:(

toowm

Well, at least one end is my kids being smarter, fitter, and saner than the domestic (and European) competition.

Atlas

Well, Huck just nailed himself to the wall with that one. And we didn't have to do anything. One more candidate that can't talk about states' rights anymore...

slim

Huck is just like most Repubicrats and Democans they believe in state rights when the Federal laws go against what they want and support Federal laws when the law is something they support.

forsytjr

He also said that No Child Left Behind was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I think HSLDA supports him since he has theocrat tendencies.  They are a VERY Christian organization. 

supperman15

Quote from: RattyDog on August 30, 2007, 01:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on August 29, 2007, 09:58 PM NHFT
His Arkansas smoking ban covers all buildings open to the public (even private clubs), if anyone under 21 is allowed to enter at any time (even when the business is closed, or if there is no smoking when they're there).

He also pushed a ban on smoking in a car if there is a child in a child safety seat (which is required through the age of 5 in Arkansas).

Not to mention, he required that every public school student be weighed and measured, and their parents received "BMI report cards". Schools spent millions complying with that one.

But... it's for the children! ::)

Or we could just stop feeding our children rotten food and letting them spend their days laying around inside instead of going outside to play. But then, that would involve actual parenting and I think we've extablished that folks are much happier with a nanny state that sends home a report card telling them their kid is morbidly obese. Hooray gov't! Thank you for telling me my 8 yo weighs as much as a full grown man...because I couldn't tell by looking at him.

Scary thought: Where does it end?

arresting you when you don't get the weight down. limiting what people can buy in the store cus a kid might get it and what is good for the nation is a whole bunch of shallow kids that only care about how they look and not who they are. politicians are vapid vain little cheaters, reject models on power trips.

Ron Helwig

Being a chain-taxer is worse than being a chain-smoker.  :)

KBCraig

Gard

We were talking about it on the show today, and a thought struck me about how these smoking bans completely turn the private property-pubic property thing upside down. Of course, it's been obvious to me for years that with these kinds of bans they turn private property into de-facto "public property" through their semantic and legal trickery, but now, they've made the smoking go outside on the SIDEWALK, or on the REAL government/tax-supported property, and have taken it out of the private property where people had choice.

Shakin' my head like Elvis' pelvis, baby.

EthanAllen

Quote from: Gard on September 18, 2007, 08:25 PM NHFT
We were talking about it on the show today, and a thought struck me about how these smoking bans completely turn the private property-pubic property thing upside down. Of course, it's been obvious to me for years that with these kinds of bans they turn private property into de-facto "public property" through their semantic and legal trickery, but now, they've made the smoking go outside on the SIDEWALK, or on the REAL government/tax-supported property, and have taken it out of the private property where people had choice.

Gard-

Just so there is no confusion. There is:

1. private ownership/exclusive rights over
2. collective ownership/joint rights over
3. common ownership/individual equal rights over

The sidewalks are a hybrid of collective ownership and common rights. The physical sidewalks themselves are owned collectively but the common right of way contained within (an individual equal right) is a natural right that pre-exists government.

The issue around smoking is a conflict of rights between:

a. the right of the government to regulate commerce
b. the right of private property

Ron Helwig

Quote from: EthanAllen on September 18, 2007, 08:58 PM NHFT

Just so there is no confusion:

The government doesn't have the right to regulate commerce. It does have the power, but not the right.

EthanAllen

Quote from: Ron Helwig on September 19, 2007, 07:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: EthanAllen on September 18, 2007, 08:58 PM NHFT

Just so there is no confusion:

The government doesn't have the right to regulate commerce. It does have the power, but not the right.

Good point.