• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene City Council

Started by Soundwave, September 01, 2007, 09:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Quote from: KBCraig on September 01, 2007, 08:21 PM NHFT
I'm pretty sure the FEC doesn't cover city council races.

No rules whatsoever that I'm aware of.  Just a two dollar filing fee.

Nat F

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 01, 2007, 10:18 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on September 01, 2007, 08:21 PM NHFT
I'm pretty sure the FEC doesn't cover city council races.

No rules whatsoever that I'm aware of.  Just a two dollar filing fee.

Doesn't seem to be any significant NH laws either, RSA 664:14-17a seem to be the only ones that apply to local elections and they are pretty much just about advertising and contact information on signs.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXIII/664/664-1.htm
Quote from: RSA 664:1Applicability of Chapter. – The provisions of this chapter shall apply to all state primary, general, and special elections, but shall not apply to presidential preference primaries. The provisions relating to political advertising, RSA 664:14 through 17-a, shall additionally apply to city, town, school district and village district elections. The provisions relating to voluntary expenditure limitations, RSA 664:5-a and 664:5-b, shall additionally apply to elections for United States senator and representative to Congress.

-Nat

jshmukatelli

I would say a key in this area is Seth's point #6.  We all see candidates for this and that who tell us what their stance is on whatever issue.  It's rare for a candidate to look you in the eye and ask "What pisses you off?  What do you really give a damn about?"

Folks in this county should be sick of the incumbents (I think that should be Mr. Lane's primary weakness...he's the poster child for the status quo, which I KNOW people are sick of around here).

I'll be crossing all my digits for you...Keene needs a fresh, young change in its government...instead of the aging group of businesspeople, big property owners and political hacks you've got in there now.

Getting back to Mr. Lane's weaknesses...research them by reading the City Council minutes online:

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/onlineservices/minutes_and_agendas.htm

If you click on the minutes links, you can choose a meeting and read what they all had to say on the record (like what Mr. Lane said about your newest rotary minutes before he voted against it):

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/minutes/council/2007_03_22_special_council_minutes.htm

dawn

Thanks for filing!

Keep your message positive. Do not stoop to their level of negativity. You have a postive message that needs to be heard and if all that fellow can do is throw daggers at you, most people will eventually see through that.

Door-to-door can be painful, especially at first, but getting over some of our shyness is important in bringing the message of liberty to as many people as possible.

Best of luck!

d_goddard

Quote from: jshmukatelli on September 02, 2007, 04:20 PM NHFTIt's rare for a candidate to look you in the eye and ask "What pisses you off?  What do you really give a damn about?"

Hear, hear. More diplomatic language should be used, but you are 100% dead-on.

Even though Irena was "outed" as not only an Evil Free Stater, but (*gasp*) a Director! of! the FSP!... she still got a bunch of "converts" when she ran for city council. The two things (other than her good looks and charming smile) that made friends out of would-be enemies were:

1) giving out her (our) phone number, on every single flyer, and on that same flyer saying
2) "tell me what YOU think is important in our city!"

Vote Tyler Stearns

Denis, you're #2 point is a good one to remember.  Tyler did the same thing and it elicited some phone calls and was a great conversation starter. 

FTL_Ian

Julia's opponent has refused to answer a question from the influential Keene Citizens Government Review.  He must think he's a shoe-in.

http://freekeene.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/keene-citizens-gov-review-093007.pdf

jshmukatelli

Julia, you need to make a few signs and get them up at some key intersections (the major T's and 4-ways come to mind).

"Want something different?  Julia Miranda for Ward 4 City Councilor!"  And get a color photo on there.  With a little effort it's doable.  Tremendous amount of traffic through those intersections, it'd be good inexpensive face time.

Just my .02 again.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: jshmukatelli on October 01, 2007, 09:29 PM NHFT
Julia, you need to make a few signs and get them up at some key intersections (the major T's and 4-ways come to mind).

"Want something different?  Julia Miranda for Ward 4 City Councilor!"  And get a color photo on there.  With a little effort it's doable.  Tremendous amount of traffic through those intersections, it'd be good inexpensive face time.

Just my .02 again.

Thank you for the idea.  Considering one color signs are around five to six bucks each, I can't even imagine how much a full-color photo sign would cost!

As Julia is running for a ward seat, it will be easy enough to campaign direct to homes.  Signs are more important in a citywide race.

d_goddard

Homemade signs are good for voting day itself. Be sure and have a few people stand at the polling place with Julia Miranda for City Council signs. Nothing fancy -- magic marker on posterboard and a wooden pole. It helps.

d_goddard

Quote from: Soundwave on October 02, 2007, 11:05 AM NHFT
Ah, ok. I took the whole day off from work, and am planning to be there most of the day, including for the vote count.
I'll be in Manchester holding signs for Phil G. that day; otherwise, I'd be there myself as well.
As many other Keene-area FSPers as you can get would be a real huge help!!

Kat Kanning

Sign idea:  Vote Miranda to protect your rights!

Lloyd Danforth

d_goddard

Lloyd Danforth