• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Keene City Council

Started by Soundwave, September 01, 2007, 09:48 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

A story about the coward blog was front page in todays Sunday Sentinel!
It mentioned the FSP, Julia, Ian, and FTL.

The Sentinel Online requires a subscription. I'll bring the copy I bought to the next gathering for anyone who is curious.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Puke on October 07, 2007, 10:17 AM NHFT
A story about the coward blog was front page in todays Sunday Sentinel!
It mentioned the FSP, Julia, Ian, and FTL.

The Sentinel Online requires a subscription. I'll bring the copy I bought to the next gathering for anyone who is curious.

That is awesome. Talk about blowback.

I think this is also an example that the safe, moderate route is not necessarily the best course. Controversy gets attention.

FTL_Ian

SethCohn

Kudos on the primary results, and the coverage in the Sentinel.

I mentioned yesterday at the MVP meeting that people holding signs for you in Nov would be a good activity for folks... in low turnout election cycles, a large show of sign support can often make the difference to the undecided voter.

Now, get out there and knock on doors!  Your name recognition factor is up, but it's up to you to win over people with your smile and your friendliness. (Oh yeah, and your ideas)

KBCraig

Quote from: Kat Kanning on October 06, 2007, 07:57 AM NHFT
Sign idea:  Vote Miranda to protect your rights!

Careful, Russell might delete you for being political.  ;)

Dave Ridley

hey guys i am in keene today...would it be practical for me to shoot a story about julia's run for Council?

i can't really be reached by phone today bc of my battery problem, so just PM me.
i'd like to get shots of her at work if employers will allow or shots of her campaining in some form or fashion...and or shots of the newspaper article...of the FTL set, etc.  if she is co hosting tonight maybe i could stick around and get vid of that also.

anything else that might make good video?

btw this was caleb's idea so hat's off to caleb...

any other good stories i could shoot today while i'm here?

FTL_Ian

Caleb's meeting tonite at 7p?

d_goddard

Maybe some real-life door-to-door campaigning footage?
If other FSPers see it on video, it may be easier for them to do it in RL themselves someday.

dalebert

Quote from: Soundwave on October 09, 2007, 01:45 PM NHFT
I'm just about to start going door to door today, and I'm nervous as hell.  :blush:

Any idea how long it takes to do 50 houses? If it's possible, I'd like to accomplish that today.

That's totally possible. The Ron Paul rally and lit drop assigned 100 houses to each team of four. We broke up into teams of two and it can be done in a couple hours. Depending on how many hours you're willing to put in, you could do a lot more in a day.

Most people won't be home so bring literature and be careful not to put it in their mail box. Somehow, even though the resident builds/buys it, it's owned by the post office and using it without going through the USPS is a federal offence.  ::)

Another tip: There are databases available of registered voters. You will get more bang for your buck (time) if you go to the houses of registered voters and likely voters- people who have voted in at least 3 of the last 5 elections or something.

FTL_Ian

We only spent about 40 bucks to get a thousand quarter page, card stock flyers.  While we do have the list of registered voters, we will be delivering one flyer to every household.  The people that don't vote are an important constituency for the liberty message. They are the ones who are fed up with the system and they need to be alerted to the fact that there is finally someone worth voting for.   :icon_pirat:

d_goddard

10x more power to ya... knocking on every door in the district... awesome!!!
How many doors will that work out to be?

FTL_Ian

We're not really sure, but there are around 3000 voters so we estimate about a thousand households.  Either way, we have a thousand flyers.

It seems silly to skip by houses.  If you're going to walk down the street, you might as well give a flyer to everybody!

dalebert

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 09, 2007, 05:08 PM NHFT
The people that don't vote are an important constituency for the liberty message. They are the ones who are fed up with the system and they need to be alerted to the fact that there is finally someone worth voting for.   :icon_pirat:

That's a good point. Speaking of, are you going to vote this time?
>:D

FTL_Ian

David

Soundwave, I heard your radio interview.  One suggestion and a comment, not in that order.  The comment is I liked that you essentually stated that there are a lot of politicians that have been on council for a while.  I think it would be wise to position yourself as an outsider to council.  Rather than politics as usual.  Since you are going to be called that anyway.  It may be a good idea to compare the current tax rates, with the 'insider politicians'. 
My suggestion is, that you steer clear of the statement that 'I am trying to learn more about city council'.  That puts you in the position as someone who doesn't know what they are doing.  If your opponent gets desparate, he will label you as an outsider who is in over her head. 
Just my free unsolicited advice.  You got what you paid for.   ;D