• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nuclear warheads mistakenly flown on B-52, landing at Barksdale AFB

Started by Atlas, September 05, 2007, 01:38 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

It was a major violation of protocol, but there wasn't any danger.

I was NRAS certified. There is an amazing array of both physical and systemic safeguards: it is damned difficult to set off a nuke deliberately, much less accidentally.

The idiots at Minot who failed to remove the warheads are going to be in deep kimchi, though.

Raineyrocks

Raineyrocks

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/feedback/20-09-2007/97410-american_spy_satellite-0

Here's another take on the missing nuclear warheads and the strange meteor that supposedly fell on an island and people were getting sick.

KBCraig

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 06, 2007, 02:49 PM NHFT
http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/feedback/20-09-2007/97410-american_spy_satellite-0

Here's another take on the missing nuclear warheads and the strange meteor that supposedly fell on an island and people were getting sick.

Russia is noted for factual journalism.  ;)

This story was linked from the page you provided:
Aliens forced Americans out from the Moon

;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on October 06, 2007, 04:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on October 06, 2007, 02:49 PM NHFT

Russia is noted for factual journalism.  ;)

This story was linked from the page you provided:
Aliens forced Americans out from the Moon

;D

Uh oh, I didn't see that!  :duh: Here I was feeling hopeful and I got this link from a fruit loop page. ::) 

Wait a minute, what if aliens did force Americans from the moon?  Could it be possible? 8)  That's me trying to save myself from this mess I once again have myself in.  I need to look at the surrounding articles instead of the main one I'm interested in, damn ADD! ;D

ThePug

Pravda is the Weekly World News of Russia- they're on FARK all the time. Interestingly enough, they're unrelated to the Soviet-era propaganda rag, though they both contain about the same amount of truth.

KBCraig

As the saying goes, "There is no truth in Pravda, and there is no news in Izvestia."

Raineyrocks

KBCraig

kola

KBCraig

Secretary of the Air Force, AF Chief of Staff resign.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Heads-of-Air-Force-resign-after-report-on-B-52-nukes-incident-12736/

Heads of Air Force resign after report on B-52 nukes incident
Created: June 5, 2008 12:34 PM   
Modified: June 5, 2008 04:49 PM

The military and civilian chiefs of the Air Force resigned today amid the continuing fallout over nuclear missiles mistakenly loaded onto a B-52 bomber and flown to Barksdale Air Force Base.

Another factor: The accidental shipping of nuclear fuses to Taiwan.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said this afternoon he has accepted the resignations of Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley and Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne. They are stepping down after a report found a pattern of poor performance in the way the service handles nuclear weapons.

Gates cited two embarrassing incidents in the past year.

In the first, six nuclear-tipped cruise missiles were mistakenly loaded under the wings of a B-52 bomber at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota last summer and flown to Barksdale without anyone realizing the weapons were aboard. The B-52 sat at Barksdale for several hours before a bomb crew discovered the mistake.

The error was considered so serious that President Bush was quickly informed.

In the second, electrical fuses for ballistic missiles were mistakenly sent to Taiwan in the place of helicopter batteries.

The B-52 incident -- which cost one commander at Barksdale his job and cost several at Minot theirs -- led the Air Force to change the way bomber crews organize for their nuclear training mission.

Gates said there were several reasons for him to make changes.

"First, the Air force leadership has drifted with respect to perhaps its most sensitive mission," he said of the nuclear weapons mistakes. "Second, performance standards in that sensitive area were allowed to degrade. Third, only after two internationally sensitive incidents did Air Force leadership apply increased attention to the problem. And fourth, even then action to insure a thorough (investigation) into what went wrong was not initiated by the Air Force leadership, but required my intervention."

In another incident, the Pentagon inspector general found in April that a $50 million contract to promote the Thunderbirds aerial performance team was tainted by improper influence and preferential treatment. No criminal conduct was found. Moseley was not singled out for blame, but the inspector general's investigation laid out a trail of communications from him and other Air Force leaders that eventually influenced the 2005 contract award. Included in that were friendly e-mails between Moseley and an executive in the company that won the bid.

Wynne is the second civilian chief of a military service to be forced out by Gates. In March 2007 the defense secretary pushed out Francis Harvey, the Army secretary, because Gates was dissatisfied with Harvey's handling of revelations of inadequate housing conditions and bureaucratic delays for troops recovering from war wounds at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.