• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Michael Hampton / error / Beavis getting hassled?

Started by Barterer, September 05, 2007, 01:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

Quote from: GraniteForge on September 06, 2007, 11:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on September 06, 2007, 03:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on September 06, 2007, 01:58 PM NHFT
It was being a part of her church and sending a letter to jailed Branch Davidians.

Hmmm still didn't deserve to be placed on a list for that! Meanwhile the gov't in MI is building special footbaths for Muslims so they don't have to leave campus at noon every day to wash their feet...

How odd.  Muslims don't actually have to bathe their feet with water.  If no water is available, they can simply make the motions with their hands.  Sometimes they will use sand.  Its a ritual cleanliness they need, not necessarily literal. 

Yes I know and even odder that a state school would do this.
I mean, can you imagine if some catholic demanded stations of the cross in the halls or something? LOL

Braddogg

I was raised Protestant, so I may be missing something.  For Muslims, if I understand correctly, this sort of ritual purity is necessary to do several times a day when they pray.  For Catholics, I don't think there is an equivalent act -- certainly not the Stations of the Cross.  That's where your analogy breaks down, Jane.  I am, of course, no fan of any religion or any public school, so I, of course, oppose anything public schools do.

CNHT

Quote from: Braddogg on September 07, 2007, 12:48 AM NHFT
I was raised Protestant, so I may be missing something.  For Muslims, if I understand correctly, this sort of ritual purity is necessary to do several times a day when they pray.  For Catholics, I don't think there is an equivalent act -- certainly not the Stations of the Cross.  That's where your analogy breaks down, Jane.  I am, of course, no fan of any religion or any public school, so I, of course, oppose anything public schools do.

Yeah well I know it's a bad analogy but I was just trying to think of something that people do as a ritual...but it would not be several times a day like this so I can't really find a comparison.

I just can't imagine the state of MI would justify spending taxpayer money on this, unless someone privately paid for it...

penguins4me

Quote from: CNHT on September 07, 2007, 12:52 AM NHFT
I just can't imagine the state of MI would justify spending taxpayer money on this, unless someone privately paid for it...

Think they'd let me hang copies of the Ten Commandments on the school walls if I'd paid for it?

Braddogg

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: CNHT on September 07, 2007, 12:12 AM NHFT
It was being a part of her church and sending a letter to jailed Branch Davidians.

Hmmm still didn't deserve to be placed on a list for that! Meanwhile the gov't in MI is building special footbaths for Muslims so they don't have to leave campus at noon every day to wash their feet...

How odd.  Muslims don't actually have to bathe their feet with water.  If no water is available, they can simply make the motions with their hands.  Sometimes they will use sand.  Its a ritual cleanliness they need, not necessarily literal. 

I mean, can you imagine if some catholic demanded stations of the cross in the halls or something? LOL

The ACLU usually gets involved in these religion-in-schools cases; are they doing anything here?

error

Quote from: Braddogg on September 07, 2007, 01:05 AM NHFT
BTW, glad to hear you're okay, Michael :)

Ha! I wasn't aware I wasn't okay until the phone calls started coming in and the people started banging on my door. :)

Lasse

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 07, 2007, 01:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on September 07, 2007, 12:12 AM NHFT

The ACLU usually gets involved in these religion-in-schools cases; are they doing anything here?
I highly doubt it; this is about Muslims, after all. Preferential treatment, affirmative action: the domain of the ACLU.

dalebert

Quote from: Braddogg on September 07, 2007, 12:48 AM NHFTThat's where your analogy breaks down, Jane.

Analogies always breakdown somewhere. You're talking about something that is similar but not the same as. The only perfect analogy is to not use an analogy. I thought her analogy was fine for pointing out a double standard.

CNHT

Mike -- email still bouncing.

I think ronpaulpresshub.com is under massive DOS right now, since yesterday it won't load.

Braddogg

Quote from: dalebert on September 07, 2007, 07:25 AM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on September 07, 2007, 12:48 AM NHFTThat's where your analogy breaks down, Jane.

Analogies always breakdown somewhere. You're talking about something that is similar but not the same as. The only perfect analogy is to not use an analogy. I thought her analogy was fine for pointing out a double standard.

There is a difference in kind (not degree) between the Stations of the Cross (not mandatory for religious purposes) and foot baths (mandatory for religious purposes).

Quantrill

FYI - if stormtroppers really did come for Micheal, there is a houseful of people who would call PORC411 and then probably get arrested...
:icon_pirat:

Rochelle

Yea, there's not really anyway they could arrest him without the rest of the house noticing :P

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Rochelle on September 07, 2007, 10:24 AM NHFT
Yea, there's not really anyway they could arrest him without the rest of the house noticing :P

When he goes out? :-\

(Although confiscating his equipment would still require a house-call.)

CNHT

Quote from: dalebert on September 07, 2007, 07:25 AM NHFT
I thought her analogy was fine for pointing out a double standard.

Thanks Dale, for getting my point...without starting an argument about it or requesting that someone study up on analogies.

Tell Brad he is right, or he will pick your casual comment to death, ala someone else I know.