• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Michael Hampton / error / Beavis getting hassled?

Started by Barterer, September 05, 2007, 01:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Yeah, and a house call is potentially dangerous given how many people are likely to shoot first and ask questions later of anyone who just storms in the door without announcing themselves. Which is why I advise anybody attempting to serve a (bogus) warrant here to call first.

penguins4me

Not directly related to error's concern, but a parallel: I've had the opportunity to kick down my own front door (long story) - it's quite easy, even with a sturdy wood frame and a solid wood door. ONE good kick was all it took, and I not only completely destroyed the doorframe, which had to be replaced, but cracked the door around the doorknob in such a way that if the frame hadn't split and broken first, the door would have broken around the knob and deadbolt, letting the door open afterwards in either case.

I learned that from the time the boot hits the door until the boot is on the carpet of the first room, only two seconds elapse.

I've cobbled together some ad-hoc braces and other barriers for the rental I'm living in - when I buy a place, the first thing I'll be doing is replacing all doorframes with steel ones, reinforcing the frames and surrounding walls, and buying sturdy (likely steel) doors. I don't like the idea that a violent person with ill intentions could be standing in my living room two seconds after I first hear the noise of the door going down. :P

J’raxis 270145

You could set up doors in a sort of "airlock" style—that is, two sturdy, locked doors on each end of an entry-way a couple meters long, both of which need to be busted down in order for someone to gain entry to your house. Knocking down the first door only lets them into the entry-way, and now they need to stop, regroup quickly, and smash the second door—but by this point you've certainly heard them coming and at least 10–15 seconds will probably elapse before they're in your place. And if they don't know your layout ahead of time, they're probably all standing there in the entry cursing and dumbfounded, giving you an extra 5–10 seconds before they come through door #2.

Just having your outer door at the end of a long, twisty hallway also helps. My previous apartment was set up like this—the door was on the second floor of the building, then there was a narrow staircase that went around two right angles before you reached my third-floor apartment.

Rochelle

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Rochelle on September 08, 2007, 08:57 AM NHFT
Get flexiglass sliding doors. :)

I assume this is the nigh-unbreakable plastic stuff like they use for the windows on public transit vehicles? I've heard of emergency responders trying to use a fireman's axe on those windows; it bounces right off. But a sufficient amount of force, such as a boot or a handheld battering ram would pop it right out of its frame, I bet.

Rochelle

Yea, but an unsuspecting person hoping for a traditional door to kick down would be SOL...though I suppose they could just pop it out of the track :P

David

Didn't know where else to put this.  Error deleted his own profile.   :'(  You will be missed.   :-[

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: David on September 11, 2007, 12:31 PM NHFT
Didn't know where else to put this.  Error deleted his own profile.   :'(  You will be missed.   :-[

Does anyone know why?

FTL_Ian

Barterer

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 11, 2007, 01:20 PM NHFT
It looks like he just signed up again...

http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1469

Looks like the new "error" is not serving up an avatar from homeland stupidity.us, at least for now.  It's probably still him.. redid the account to establish "plausible deniability" I bet.  ;)

J’raxis 270145

Said he was sick of the karma nonsense going on with his old account.

LordBaltimore

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 12, 2007, 10:55 AM NHFT
Said he was sick of the karma nonsense going on with his old account.

The negative karma has been flying like crazy for the last couple of weeks.

error

Yeah, someone's got some negativity they need to purge themselves of, but that's certainly not the only reason.