• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Homeland Security in Berlin, NH?

Started by dalebert, September 09, 2007, 10:31 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

sounds interesting.... what's your plan?

supperman15

well if we can assemble some people and find the cameras Im sure we can come up with a little skit or something to distract the bureaucrats from their dirty mags

coffeeseven

Quote from: KBCraig on September 11, 2007, 01:43 AM NHFT
"Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got blank stares."

:BangHead: Glad I'm not the only one who notices.

slimpickens

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 09, 2007, 12:37 PM NHFT
Are these pointed at the streets? This is most likely illegal per RSA 236:130.

I'm unable to locate similar law here in NC, any help would be appreciated.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: slimpickens on September 25, 2007, 10:11 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 09, 2007, 12:37 PM NHFT
Are these pointed at the streets? This is most likely illegal per RSA 236:130.

I'm unable to locate similar law here in NC, any help would be appreciated.

In North Carolina? I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't such a law there. Most states allow traffic cameras; that New Hampshire, on the state level, specifically forbids them, is an aberration, no doubt due to our general pro-liberty culture here. There are other state laws that protect the people against their municipalities; the shall-issue CCW law (RSA 159:6) is another nice one.

Here is your state's statutes online, if you want to go digging. It has a search page, too.

slimpickens

thanks for the reply, thats where i was looking for a similar law/statute.

did a surveillance search, but no hits for that.

not very many cameras here yet, unlike MN which has most Mpls/St. Paul covered along with the freeways. and some state line crossings.

KBCraig

From today's Berlin Daily Sun:

Berlin PD launches new wireless communication network

Craig Lyons

BERLIN— The Berlin Police Department has recently launched a first in the state wireless communication network.

The network allows the Police Department to transmit and receive data from wireless Internet points around the city, according to Police Chief Peter Morency. Dispatch will be able to send any information including pictures and video to officers on the road, according to Morency.

This type of network is called MESH network because of the blending of the communication technology within the network.

"The Police Department will be able to monitor critical infrastructure in the city," said Morency. The network will help police monitor the hospital, schools, city hall, power plants and other key parts of Berlin.

There are 32 wireless transmitter throughout the city, according to Jennifer Cloutier, telecommunications director for the Berlin Police Department. Each wireless point has certain radius so cruisers on patrol will be able to access the network using laptops in each car.

"Everything from dispatch can go out on the road," said Morency.

The network enables officers to write reports from the road, check warrants, check license plates and check out other information without needing to report back to the station, according to Cloutier.

"That will save time," said Cloutier, adding officers can be on patrol more without needing to return to the station to write up reports.

The equipment for the wireless network was purchased using a Homeland Security Grant the Police Department received. Planning for the network started over a year ago and also allowed the police to update radios and other equipment, according to Morency.

Morency said the wireless network was a project more worthwhile to use the money on than buying something like a helicopter. He added the wireless network is something the Police Department can expand upon to benefit the Berlin area.

"The primary purpose is for critical infrastructure management and homeland security," said Morency.

Purchased using funds from an additional grant, the police department outfitted cruisers with laptops and cameras, according to Cloutier.

"It's something to work in conjunction with the wireless network," said Cloutier.

Morency said other uses for the network is to monitor building security of Berlin businesses. If businesses use the police network responding to calls will be much faster, said Morency. He added going through a security firm could make a response take 15 to 20 minutes.

"I think it's definitely worth having," said Morency. "I think this has a lot of room for expanding."

Pat K

Amazing, the town is in dire straits, No jobs, a zillion houses for sale, cheap
and not selling.

So these folks go and spend money and time on I-Spy.

Tom Sawyer

Now they can get the DEA to buy them an armored vehicle to ram down pot smokers houses.

supperman15

this is a list of shows done by the SCP (security Camera Players) you can click the links to see actual pictures
http://www.notbored.org/scp-photographs.html

Quantrill

Whoa whoa whoa.  This is illegal, per NH laws, right?  Who do we contact about this?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Quantrill on September 27, 2007, 02:02 PM NHFT
Whoa whoa whoa.  This is illegal, per NH laws, right?  Who do we contact about this?

Most likely.

supperman15

the section is very clear that it is only prohibited if trying to identify the driver of a car, not just people.  It also has an out clause if you are using the cameras to protect a building... so i guess just don't get out of your car if your in berlin

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: supperman15 on September 27, 2007, 09:40 PM NHFT
the section is very clear that it is only prohibited if trying to identify the driver of a car, not just people.  It also has an out clause if you are using the cameras to protect a building... so i guess just don't get out of your car if your in berlin

Yes, using cameras to identify the occupants of a vehicle, or the vehicle itself, is prohibited. The article posted in the thread said this camera system "enables officers to write reports from the road, check warrants, check license plates and check out other information without needing to report back to the station, according to Cloutier." So it sounds like it, or at least that use of it, could fall under this RSA.

Quantrill

QuoteTITLE XX
TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER 236
HIGHWAY REGULATION, PROTECTION AND CONTROL REGULATIONS
Highway Video Surveillance
Section 236:130
    236:130 Highway Surveillance Prohibited. –
    I. In this subdivision, ""surveillance'' means the act of determining the ownership of a motor vehicle or the identity of a motor vehicle's occupants on the public ways of the state or its political subdivisions through the use of a camera or other imaging device or any other device, including but not limited to a transponder, cellular telephone, global positioning satellite, or radio frequency identification device, that by itself or in conjunction with other devices or information can be used to determine the ownership of a motor vehicle or the identity of a motor vehicle' s occupants.
    II. Neither the state of New Hampshire nor its political subdivisions shall engage in surveillance on any public ways of the state or its political subdivisions.
    III. The prohibition set forth in paragraph II shall not apply where surveillance:
       (a) Is specifically authorized by statute;
       (b) Is undertaken on a case-by-case basis in the investigation of a particular violation, misdemeanor, or felony;
       (c) Is undertaken to produce images or data that:
          (1) Are viewed only at the transportation management center of the department of transportation in connection with a particular incident occurring on a public way; and
          (2) Are not recorded;
       (d) Is incidental to the monitoring of a building or other structure under the control of the state or a political subdivision of the state; or
       (e) Is undertaken for the security of the following bridges and approach structures: I-95 Piscataqua River Bridge, Sarah Mildred Long Bridge, and the Memorial Bridge, all in Portsmouth.
    IV. Nothing in this section shall prevent the creation, transmission, or recording of any images or data which cannot, by enhancement, manipulation, or otherwise, be used for surveillance.
    V. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation if a natural person, or guilty of a misdemeanor if any other person.

Source. 2006, 107:1, eff. July 1, 2006.

The network enables officers to write reports from the road, check warrants, check license plates and check out other information without needing to report back to the station, according to Cloutier.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.  This "wireless communication network" seems to be against the law.  I assume the cops will take these down immediately?