• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

social networking tool

Started by ArcRiley, September 07, 2007, 05:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcRiley

With all us new people moving in, and all our various ideas and visions, I think we need something more robust than forums to network

I've started a quick-n-dirty Dojo-based web app that integrates google maps with a free-form interests web, both so that we can find others with similar interests near where we're moving to, but also so new movers will be able to easier choose an area to live based on the interests of nearby porcs.

The interest web is being based on tags.  Anyone can create a tag, ie, homeschooler opencarry veg*an biodiesel buddhist kosher libertydollar taxresister - each tag could be selected individually or in groups to be displayed as markers on the map.

Questions:

• What other features would be useful which use geographic information or tags (apts for rent, realestate, jobs..)?
  • What management structure would make this application most valuable to our community?
  • Are there privacy concerns with this application that should be addressed?
  • Where can/should it be hosted in terms of domain name & server?

Dreepa

Oh oh.. Friday and Lex did you see this?

Friday

I know that the search functionality on these fora isn't always the greatest, but I did just try searching on the word "social" and this thread was #3 in the list:
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0

Noobs.  What're ya gonna do?  :dontknow:

ArcRiley

I did find that thread.  I think you need to re-read the first post of this thread, this app is nothing like myspace/facebook.

My experience with those services is they are very poor at finding people with similar interests or goals.  I personally think it would be better to just allow urls to people's pages on these type of services, or blogs, or homepages, etc to learn more about them.

error

I think you need to move here first.

ArcRiley

The only reason I have time to do this is because I haven't moved yet.  I've almost got a small demo going, then we can talk what can be added, where it can be hosted (my servers are being moved, they cannot host) and how to integrate it into another service (this is just a webapp, not a full website).

If anyone wants to meet me in person I'll be in Manchester the 19th - 23rd doing apt hunting.  That unfortunately doesn't include a Tuesday (beyond my control, I'm not driving) but grabbing a coffee is certainly doable.

Mike Barskey

Arc, I don't live in NH yet, and this sounds like an interesting idea. I think it's success (or utility) will reply on 2 things: a decent search engine, and participation from NH people (i.e., something to search *for*). Thanks for trying it out.