• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Any roleplayers out there?

Started by ancapagency, September 10, 2007, 04:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

At the end of every movie I see, I wonder how the CSA (Confederate States Army) took control of the Movie Industry.
If the 'young woman' wants to role play in New Hampshire, there is a group that gathers at our local Post Office in Keene and reenacts medieval warfare in the form of Don Quixote, fighting dragons and windmills.   We do not have anyone to play Dal Senaya yet.
Often a division of Homeland Security, ICE, will act as annoyed peasants and take people to the local constable.  Everyone has a great time and usually we get really great VDO of the event.   ;D

ArcRiley

Quote from: ancapagency on September 10, 2007, 09:27 PM NHFT
Now, please pardon me if I offend anyone with this comment, but here it comes anyway:  I'm not trying to get some social misfit who lives in Momma's basement and spends all their time eating junk food and playing video games, and can't be bothered to go out or take a shower, let alone get involved in anything, to move here against their apathetic inertia.  I'm trying to get a highly intelligent, young and good-looking female (I think she looks like Emma Thompson, everyone else says Liv Tyler), athletic and active, Libertarian Activist to move here ASAP rather than waiting a few years. 
Sorry if my comment came off harsh then.  I read your post as if she was someone who needed a RPG group, and that would have put her in that category of people you just described so well.  Heck I've almost been there myself some times, until I snapped myself out of it with the realization that I had allowed it to take over all my free time, akin to what many people let WoW or their Tivo do to them.

Quote from: Facilitator on September 10, 2007, 10:35 PM NHFT
If the 'young woman' wants to role play in New Hampshire, there is a group that gathers at our local Post Office in Keene and reenacts medieval warfare in the form of Don Quixote, fighting dragons and windmills.
There's also the Society for Creative Anachronism who boast the world's largest private army.  The scope of this army is huge - if every heavy weapons fighter were to stand on a battlefield they would span several square miles clad in armor and donning swords.  What's more, they train as a martial art with realistic sword fighting (using rattan swords).

If society were to collapse and once the bullets/gunpowder ran low, these guys would be a serious armed force.  Thankfully that's not going to happen (right?)

New Hampshire is known as the Barony of Stonemarche and is full of liberty-minded people.

However he said she's not into LARP.  This information is more for other gamers looking for "live-action" type stuff, though the SCA is not a "game" it's a recreation group.

Jim Johnson

Ya know what's more sad than someone who polishes a gun... some who polishes a sword.

muni

Quote from: ArcRiley on September 10, 2007, 11:28 PM NHFT
[...]
However he said she's not into LARP.  [...]

So is the Central Committee going to approve her or not?

ArcRiley

Quote from: muni on September 10, 2007, 11:56 PM NHFT
So is the Central Committee going to approve her or not?
Who said anything about approving her or not?  Doesn't require approval to join the FSP and certainly doesn't resemble a communist party.

My comment was that we shouldn't be going out of our way to recruit people who are obsessed with gaming or any other hobby.  More recent postings about her clearly show that she's not such a person.

If you know the kind of gamers I do you'd have such a knee-jerk reaction as well.

Dan

I had this fantasy of opening a board game store in Manchester and living upstairs.

Is there any competition there?

Nat F

Quote from: Dan on September 11, 2007, 08:11 AM NHFT
I had this fantasy of opening a board game store in Manchester and living upstairs.

Purely board game related?  Or just generally related?  I'm not aware of any store that has a focus on board games in Manchester.  There are several related stores, one that focuses on mostly comics and card games (named Double Midnight I think) and another that focuses more on miniatures and role playing (on the west side, don't recall the name) but others (Empire Games, Hammer's Comics and at least one other) have closed in the past few years.  The nearest store I know of that carries a significant inventory of board games is Myriad Games in Salem NH.  It's also one of the nicest stores I've been in, both in terms of helpfulness and cleanliness.

-Nat

Dan

lildog

Quote from: Dan on September 11, 2007, 08:11 AM NHFT

There's a gaming store in Nashua, Wizards Coast or something like that.  Looked closed last time I went by though so I'm wondering if they are out of business.

As for gamers, I tried to get a biweekly or even monthly thing going a while back but had no takers.  I'd even be willing to host.

And by the way, just because she can't find anyone willing to sit and play the old style pen and paper versions shouldn't be reason for her not to move.  She can still play with her friends back home with online games.  Some of the newer ones like NeverWinter Nights even allow online DM's who can play the part of monsters and toss bad guys at you as you go along.  They can even create their own adventures for everyone to play.  Or you can down load any number of custom made adventures that people have put up online and all play.

dalebert

I'll start a new thread for this, but I've had the notion of an open-source MMORPG engine on the back burners of my mind for a while now. If you have any interest in the topic, continue discussion here:

http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=10711.0

grasshopper

Quote from: Facilitator on September 10, 2007, 11:44 PM NHFT
Ya know what's more sad than someone who polishes a gun... some who polishes a sword.

How about someone who polishes his sword with the same rag that he used to shine his rifles and then almost cuts his thumb off putting away the sword. :'(
  Ya, it hurt too. :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nat F

Quote from: lildog on September 11, 2007, 10:41 AM NHFTThere's a gaming store in Nashua, Wizards Coast or something like that.  Looked closed last time I went by though so I'm wondering if they are out of business.
The store on Kinsley Str (Rt 111 east) was named Wizards Tower, and closed in the spring.  Another store near the Nashua airport closed at about the same time, I'm not sure of the status of the other game store I knew about in Nashua.  It's in the plaza between Circuit City and Burger King on DW Highway next to a teacher/homeschool store but I haven't been there in 3-4 years.  Silver Dragon is the best store in the Nashua area, technically in Amherst in the Carriage Depot Plaza on 101A.  http://silverdrgn.com  However they carry almost no board games, having transitioned from a Magic the Gathering store to a broader customer base including other CCGs, Clix based minis, comics and D&D.

-Nat

BaRbArIaN

I still occasionally play, often in Somersworth at "Toys From the Attic" downtown.   My favorite game is Battletech, tho currently I play both that and D&D.    I was even lucky enough to marry a woman who games, so its not that big an imposition.  :-) 

There is some gaming on the seacoast for sure.  I know also in Londonderry there is a game shop.

Ogre

University of NH has a "Gamers Anonymous" gaming club.  I'll bet Keene State has a group, but I can't find one online.   Quite often I've found that you can find gaming near colleges -- and just as often find that only a few of the people playing are actually the college students...or contact one of those gaming stores listed here and ask them, they always know where and when the groups can be found (many host games).

picaro

Quote from: Dan on September 11, 2007, 10:06 AM NHFT
It looks antiseptically nice.

Aye.

Napoleon's was the opposite of an anti-septic strip mall store.   The place was filled with geek cultural artifacts.  Original movie posters, like Conan the Barbarian yellowed on the walls.  The faint smell of pipe tobacco, shelves stuffed full of obscure board games and out-of-print RPGs from decades ago... all of it contributed to a greater sense of antiquity.

The basement was divided into several large rooms perfect for gaming.  The owner gave us keys to lock up when we finished at 1 or 2 am.

Zoning laws and building codes eventually forced the owner to pull the plug.   :'(