• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine food bank

Started by Bald Eagle, September 13, 2007, 09:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Quote from: cathleeninnh on November 21, 2007, 09:13 AM NHFT
But isn't it psychological problems that underly it? Isn't that why they can't bring themselves to get in the work programs? Taking away the charity doesn't straighten the head cases out. I imagine some are gaming it, but surely not most. I won't hand them a dollar but I will hand them a sandwich.

Cathleen

One of the few guys I've met that I've considered true to christianity (not that I know that much about it) was this friend from college....he would never give vagrants money, but he'd take them to a restaurant to buy them a meal and have like an hour long conversation with them about their lives, just listening mostly and finding out how they got where they were in life.

He was such a strange and beautiful person...one of those guys that everyone loves.  He rode his bike all the way across the US, and people along the way just took him in and gave him a place to sleep - he was that kind of person.  It was so sad, the last time I saw him he seemed destroyed by an unhappy marriage.

[reminicing off]

Dreepa

I have to say that I don't think that is true of my wife's church.
Last night they served over 300 meals and they made a point not to mention it was from a church.

Granted  they also do perpetuate themselves but I think that the charity is truly for charity's sake.  (at least it seems to me)

Recumbent ReCycler

If you donate food to a local food bank anytime soon, you might consider stamping the container with a Ron Paul stamp to let the receivers know who the givers support.  As far as the idea of forming our own food bank, I think it is a good idea.  I don't know why I never noticed this thread before.  One time when I was traveling through Atlanta, Georgia, I stopped for gas and some guy came up to me and asked for money for food.  I told him that I didn't have any money but I had some food.  I gave him a little container of soy milk.  A little while later while sitting at a red light, another guy asked for money for food, so I gave him a banana.  I had just enough cash to pay for the tolls on the way up and was paying for everything else with credit cards.  I've gone through some difficult times, and have lived on ramen noodles or beans and rice or occasionally packaged food from dumpsters that was "expired" but not moldy or rotten yet.  I remember one time before we had kids, we were going through a really difficult time and had no money or food.  A friend of mine gave me a grocery bag full of food, which really helped out a lot.  A few times anonymous people from the church we go to have given us gifts of food, heating oil or money to help us out during difficult times.  Whenever possible I try to supplement my diet with edible wild plants.  When I was younger I ate violets, sweet clover, wild grapes, wild blueberries, wild mushrooms and some other plants that my mom showed me were edible.  Unfortunately some of the plants I ate aren't common in this part of NH.  Rich Angell is familiar with a lot of edible wild plants that grow around here.  Fortunately I haven't been homeless for more than a few months and was usually able to stay with family or friends while I was looking for work and housing.  I've slept outside a bit, and have on occasion waken up in a snowbank that formed during the night.  A good sleeping bag and sleeping bag cover make it a lot more comfortable to sleep outside.  I would be happy to try to help out if someone is in a pinch if I am able to.

Rosie the Riveter

Rich Angell Rocks...

Thank you all for your thoughts about the homeless guy with the sign....

Kat Kanning

OK, I searched all through this thread for a reply by Rich Angell to see his words of wisdom, but couldn't find anything by him  :-\

EJinCT

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 21, 2007, 09:45 AM NHFT
For a few there really are psychological problems and they need help.They're the ones I was (and am) happy to help out, along with those that just were in a bad time and needed assistance. Problem is, the majority had a prevalant psychological problem that is easily fixed, lazyness.

Might I ask, how was this viewpoint gained? Is this just an opinion?

I lived on the streets for the better part of a decade and my experience does not support such a view in the least.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 23, 2007, 04:37 AM NHFT
OK, I searched all through this thread for a reply by Rich Angell to see his words of wisdom, but couldn't find anything by him  :-\

Defender of Liberty said -- "Rich Angell is familiar with a lot of edible wild plants that grow around here." That is why I think he rocks  ;)

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: EJinNH on November 23, 2007, 07:30 AM NHFT
For a few there really are psychological problems and they need help.They're the ones I was (and am) happy to help out, along with those that just were in a bad time and needed assistance. Problem is, the majority had a prevalant psychological problem that is easily fixed, lazyness.

I lived on the streets for the better part of a decade and my experience does not support such a view in the least.

Please go back in this thread and look at my lengthy post describing how my view was gained.

Bald Eagle

People are always welcome to call me or write, to inform me about people who may need help or to request help themselves. 

I'm always happy to have fellow porcupines stop by to visit, stay over, and share meals with.

Although I don't have any experience running any charities, especially the logistics of handling perishables, I remain interested in providing relief for Porcs experiencing hard times and further discussing the establishment of a small food bank so that we are already prepared to help those in need.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Bald Eagle on November 23, 2007, 07:05 PM NHFT
People are always welcome to call me or write, to inform me about people who may need help or to request help themselves. 

I'm always happy to have fellow porcupines stop by to visit, stay over, and share meals with.

Although I don't have any experience running any charities, especially the logistics of handling perishables, I remain interested in providing relief for Porcs experiencing hard times and further discussing the establishment of a small food bank so that we are already prepared to help those in need.

I want to second this. I'd be more than happy to donate my time or food if needed.

Lloyd Danforth

Well........you're prejudice! :P

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on November 23, 2007, 05:42 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 23, 2007, 04:37 AM NHFT

Defender of Liberty said -- "Rich Angell is familiar with a lot of edible wild plants that grow around here." That is why I think he rocks  ;)

Aha!  srqrebel is another forager.  Try his famous poison ivy sandwich!  ;D

EJinCT

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on November 24, 2007, 07:33 AM NHFT
Well........you're prejudice! :P

Yes Lloyd, I am; and if anyone had similar life experiences I'm sure they would be as well.  :P

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 23, 2007, 07:02 PM NHFT

Please go back in this thread and look at my lengthy post describing how my view was gained.

So no first hand experience living the lifestyle in several different socio-economic locals; simply judging it by a partial perspective?

Spend enough time living with, and getting to know, these people, and it is apparent that they have some form of psychological disorder. Just because one is not a full blown wing-nut, does not mean they do not have serious issues; and let us not forget that appearances can be very deceiving.

Perhaps in certain areas ( mostly urban I would presume.) this may be a more factual statement; and if you meant to say that the majority of those, you have had experiences with, were lazy, I would be more willing to accept your perspective; but I have been all across this country and IME, that is simply not an accurate, across the board, assessment.

There are many, many people who do not even frequent shelters/food banks/kitchens; so how do they fit in?

Some of the most active, kind, and helpful people I have ever met were transients and from such  experiences I have a hard time with people that suggest that the majority of transients are simply lazy when they have no clue how it is to walk in their shoes. I know how difficult and strenuous it can be by first hand experience and let me assure you that it is much harder than most would imagine and thats from someone who does not have "serious" psychological imbalances.

I'm sorry that the majority of those you have experience with have mislead you to assuming the worst about most.  8)

Quote from: Bald Eagle on November 23, 2007, 07:05 PM NHFT

Same here; more than happy to help anyone in need in any way I am capable of.

I just hope no-one has too much pride to ask for assistance; I know it can be very difficult for some to ask for help as I'm loath to ask myself; but that is exactly why some of us are here, to help.

Those of us who seek to serve in this fashion cannot do so if we are unaware of the situation.  ;)

Porcupine_in_MA

EJ I worked with and lived with the homeless in the shelter I worked at. I have plenty of experience as I ALREADY said. Don't go spouting off on what you think I don't know. Thanks.

Porcupine_in_MA

Oh and I worked at several different soup kitchens and a food pantry on top of that. Plenty of homeless have access to job programs and are perfectly capable of working but choose not to, they would rather pan handle and make lots of money, spend it on the drugs they prefer and live at a shelter, than work. Sad but true. Of course this is not all of them, and I believe in helping those that are mentally ill or who are down and out and really want to try to get back on their feet.