• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Porcupine food bank

Started by Bald Eagle, September 13, 2007, 09:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Panhandling = tax free income  :D

EJinCT

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 24, 2007, 05:24 PM NHFT
EJ I worked with and lived with the homeless in the shelter I worked at. I have plenty of experience as I ALREADY said. Don't go spouting off on what you think I don't know. Thanks.

Fair enough, but IMO, that exposure only represents a very small cross-section of the many transients in our country. IME, Working/living at a shelter/food kitchen in no way compares to living on the streets, no matter how one slices it.

This is not a personal attack, and I'm not disavowing your experiences; just strongly suggesting such is an incomplete assessment IME.

I'm merely commenting on what you have written; that's what happens on BB's. If you don't wish to have any dissenting comments then perhaps you should not post such sweeping accusations; or avoid posting altogether. I agree that there are "plenty" that take advantage of others kindness and generosity, but that is  different than "most".

There is a vast difference between "many" and the "majority"; which was my main point.

Not to get it all twisted, I do applaud you for your generosity and willingness to make a difference.  ;)

I simply hope that some who are truly deserving aren't ignored, passed by or misjudged because of faulty assumptions on our part.

If someone asks for help, I feel it is my duty to assist, regardless of my judgement of their worthiness to receive.  8)

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: EJinNH on November 25, 2007, 07:58 AM NHFT
Fair enough, but IMO, that exposure only represents a very small cross-section of the many transients in our country. IME, Working/living at a shelter/food kitchen in no way compares to living on the streets, no matter how one slices it.

This is not a personal attack, and I'm not disavowing your experiences; just strongly suggesting such is an incomplete assessment IME.

I'm merely commenting on what you have written; that's what happens on BB's. If you don't wish to have any dissenting comments then perhaps you should not post such sweeping accusations; or avoid posting altogether. I agree that there are "plenty" that take advantage of others kindness and generosity, but that is  different than "most".

There is a vast difference between "many" and the "majority"; which was my main point.

Not to get it all twisted, I do applaud you for your generosity and willingness to make a difference.  ;)

I simply hope that some who are truly deserving aren't ignored, passed by or misjudged because of faulty assumptions on our part.

If someone asks for help, I feel it is my duty to assist, regardless of my judgement of their worthiness to receive.  8)

I've had quite some experiences with the homeless I've worked for and I've posted my conclusions that I've come across and since you didn't like them have made several assumptions about it, which is what I didn't like, now you're telling me that I shouldn't post on a message board if I don't like someone making fairly condescending remarks about my experiences.
Believe me I can deal with differing opinions on things, its just how you express them thats the issue.

Porcupine_in_MA

Peace, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. It's not worth arguing over.

EJinCT

Quote from: Porcupine_in_MA on November 25, 2007, 09:31 AM NHFT
now you're telling me that I shouldn't post on a message board if I don't like someone making fairly condescending remarks about my experiences.
Believe me I can deal with differing opinions on things, its just how you express them thats the issue.

I would not tell someone else what to do, think, or relate; even when it is a differing opinion; though there are some here who do just that. I think you are overly simplifying my point in that instance.

Everyone is of course free to reply in what way they feel they need to, but IMO, it should be remembered that while relating in public, disagreements and differing perspectives/opinions are bound to arise and we should all remain aware that others have just as much right to express themselves as we ourselves do. I was pointing out that if one cannot except derision/confliction that perhaps it would be wiser not to post; thats all.

Of course there are limits, and I did not wish or infer any harm/threat to your freedom/liberties.

Sorry if my posts seemed like it was only a condescending rebuttal, that was not my intent; I was merely trying to expand the view that many seem to hold towards homeless/transients when they label them as simply lazy; because that is not the case for the majority of those in such a position. Some, yes. Many, yes. The majority/most, no, not in my experience anyway. I still hold to my claim that my perspective is likely wider, than most on this BB, on this particular subject.

Agreeing to disagree is fine with me; I would rather be at peace, than right.   :peace:

Recumbent ReCycler

I got an idea tonight.  My family and I went to Walmart this evening.  I ran in to buy a few things.  I noticed that there weren't many carts near the entrance to the store, but they were scattered all over the parking lot.  When I got back my wife told me that she and the kids gathered up enough stray carts to fill a cart corral in a matter of just a few minutes.  This got me to thinking.  What if an agreement was made with a store manager where volunteers would help collect stray carts and bring them to the cart storage area at the front of the store, and in return the store manager would donate food, mostly non-perishable, to "The Liberty Food Pantry".  The food pantry would consist of numerous small locations, which could be in homes, churches, businesses, etc., and would be run by a bunch of volunteers.  These volunteers would have plenty of leeway in how they would collect and distribute the food, but would have a basic SOP that they could refer to that would be more like a list of suggestions rather than rules.  This food bank would not participate in any government programs and would be completely independent and sovereign.  Of course they could accept any donations with no strings attached if they wanted to.  The people managing each location could maintain an inventory of what they have on a free website or something along those lines.  When an emergency occurs like a house burning down or getting washed away by a flooded river, someone nearby who is managing one of the pantries could ask the displaced family if there is anything they need/want for food.  If they request specific items, such as angel hair pasta and spaghetti sauce, the pantry manager could check their inventories to see if they have what the displaced family wants.  They could offer a list of groceries to the displaced family (or other family in need) and they could accept all or part of the list of offered items.  I'm sure there's more than one way to feed hungry folks without involving the government, but this is one idea I had.  Please share any thoughts on my idea and any suggestions you might have.

Kat Kanning

porcupine kate

I like the idea.

We may find all sorts of volunteer projects to do for food drives. 
  Does anyone have any good ideas for storage for this stuff?