• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Interruption

Started by Michael Fisher, May 31, 2005, 05:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Here is an idea for a strategy, based on the principle of truth, that can begin to work immediately.  I call it interruption.

In the quest of truth, one must lead by the example of the moral strength of one's character.  Interruption is an experimental method of implementing this principle.

Classical definition of interruption:  To hinder or stop the action or discourse of someone by breaking in on it.

Please take a moment to imagine your town council debating a new law that will ban everyone in town from putting a sign on their home.  This law will punish everyone equally, but it was written in response to one man with very bad taste who put a very ugly sign on his home.

The town council is about to complete debate and pass this new law, but you speak up and interrupt the process before the law is passed.  You offer your time and effort to personally speak with this man about his sign.  You take a vow to try to convince him in a friendly manner to take the sign down permanently before his actions result in new restrictions on everyone in town.  You ask the town council not to pass the bill because of this new effort.  The town council agrees and delays passage of the bill.

You then follow through with your promise and somehow convince the man to take down his sign permanently.  You finally present this information to the town council and they reject the new law.

Imagine that.

Michael Fisher

Now imagine an example of an experimental new way to create further social pressure against a new law.  I call it a "contingent charity".

Imagine a "Drive Safe and Free" organization which takes no public money and promotes the use of seatbelts in New Hampshire for safe driving.

This organization is a "contingent charity" created with the following bylaw:? "If a law requiring adults to wear seatbelts is passed in New Hampshire, this organization will immediately cease to exist.? All money will be distributed by the Board to the charity of their choice."

Imagine politicians trying to justify the destruction of the state's only seatbelt promotion charity with a new seatbelt law.

Contingent charities can only exist to solve a problem if the government keeps its hands off the issue.

Kat Kanning

Wow Mike, great ideas!  I love the idea of offering private solutions when they're in the process of making bad laws!

Michael Fisher

In the fight for freedom, sometimes we must assert our freedom, and sometimes we must assert our responsibility.? Perhaps too many people are busy requesting, begging for, petitioning for, and asserting their freedom.

If these people assert their responsibility, through an interruption of the bureaucratic process for example, then perhaps less responsibilities will be taken away from us.

It is clear to me that we will be more free if people demand responsibility rather than freedom alone.

The possible applications of this principle are astounding!

Michael Fisher

Freedom is responsibility.? Assert your responsibility and you will have freedom!? :)

KBCraig

Excellent thoughts, Mike.

I'll toss in another: charter a gun safety organization devoted to distributing Eddie The Eagle literature and teaching gun safety classes to children ages 6-12, and supporting competitive shooting sports for ages 13-18 (the ages are arbitrarily chosen).

Upon passage of any law restricting purchase, ownership, or possession of any firearm or amunition, all of the organization's funds immediately transfer to the legislative action branches of GONH and NRA.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: KBCraig on May 31, 2005, 08:12 PM NHFT
I'll toss in another: charter a gun safety organization devoted to distributing Eddie The Eagle literature and teaching gun safety classes to children ages 6-12, and supporting competitive shooting sports for ages 13-18 (the ages are arbitrarily chosen).

Upon passage of any law restricting purchase, ownership, or possession of any firearm or amunition, all of the organization's funds immediately transfer to the legislative action branches of GONH and NRA.

I like it!!!  Giving funds to a non-charity is not allowed under the regulations of a 501c3 charity, but... there's always the LSF.  ;)

If we could get existing organizations to do this, a protective wall of liberty could be just around the corner!   :o

Dave Ridley

Mike I like the contingent charity idea so much I'm going to copy it to the other NH web forums ( unless you object, in which case I'll erase the messages )

KBCraig

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 31, 2005, 08:56 PM NHFT
Giving funds to a non-charity is not allowed under the regulations of a 501c3 charity, but... there's always the LSF.  ;)

If I were organizing such a thing, the last thing I would seek would be government approval for tax exemption via 501(c)(3), or any other scheme. The late, great, ?ber-kook Dr. Gene Scott never claimed tax-exempt status for his "University Cathedral" church, specifically because he didn't want to be told what he couldn't say from the pulpit.

The majority of charitable contributors don't care about, and don't benefit from, tax-exempt status. If someone chooses their contributions based on 501(c)(3), we don't want their money.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 01, 2005, 05:07 PM NHFT
Mike I like the contingent charity idea so much I'm going to copy it to the other NH web forums ( unless you object, in which case I'll erase the messages )

Go ahead!  Sounds good to me!  :)

Michael Fisher

Perhaps to be effective we can begin to realize the true nature of the relationship between cause and effect and direct our efforts at that relationship.

If we talk about how to create change, what actually changes?? Very little.  Take this post for an example.  ;)
If we protest, petition, and write letters for change, what changes?? It's difficult to measure.

If we directly, physically assert our freedom to those who have taken it away from us, apparently people pay attention.

If we also directly assert our responsibility to those who are trying to take it away from us, perhaps it will be effective as well!

I'll have to talk with my friends in the Newmarket Business Association and see if they're willing to help me try it out!? It's easier to show a concept by example than by words.? :)