New Hampshire Underground

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit the Underground Wiki

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A High-Pitched Cry of Desperation  (Read 3081 times)

MicroBalrog

• Liberty Lover
A High-Pitched Cry of Desperation
« on: September 19, 2007, 04:21 PM NHFT »

So, here I am, an Israeli. Under US law, I can’t immigrate before I find a job in America, and, obviously, if I want to live in America, I need a job there anyway. I have experience in working PC tech support (I did so as a civilian and for the IDF) and I have experience as working as a translator and a writer.  Aside from that, I can also take any form of unqualified labor ( I work as a rent-a-cop at an Israeli security company atm, and I’ve worked in a production line in a factory before, but of course those are just temp jobs and are not mentioned in my CV, it’d be bloated as hell if I mentioned any temporary jobs I had). And I know that there’s at least some NH employers reading this.

I’m ready to work at any kind of wages – even the US minimum wage is significantly higher then the minimum wage in Israel, and if I get a job as a translator, writer, editor or tech support fellow, I get likely at least half a buck more then that.

I seriously dislike the political culture of the country I live in, and for too long, have felt powerless to change it.

I’m just one of those ‘honest, hard-working immigrants that’d work for cheap’. I just don’t know how all of those guys get American jobs, I don’t even know were to start. So, yes, if there’s an American with a business reading this – you can get a person who will happily work for cheap, I will get a US job. Even if you don’t yourself own a business or work in HR, maybe you know someone who can help me out?

P.S. I am a member of the Free State Project and the 1st 1000. Other FSP members recommended I should post here.

Personal Details

Name: Boris Karpa
D.O.B: September 18th, 1984
Phone: 972-054-5508182
Email: microbalrog@gmail.com

Skills: Professional-level translator, English, Russian, and Hebrew.
Languages spoken: English , Russian, Hebrew.

Education:
Tabeetha School, Jaffa [British A-level examinations, with an average that was considered equivalent of 88 Bagrut average for the purpose of university admittance at TAU.]
Completed a Psychometric test [698]

Currently a second-year student of History and English Studies  at TAU.

Work Experience:

2001 - Worked in the technical support department of Mihshuv Refui, LTD [Medical Computing].

2001 - Worked as a freelance translator, specializing in technical texts.

2002 - Worked as a freelance translator, specializing in legal requests [Hebrew and Russian translations].

2002 – Performed localisation of Thepolyglots.com company website from English into Russian.

2003-2005 - Served in the Israel Defense Force as an armorer, system operator, and secretary. In conjunction with the former duties, I aided in translation of military tecnhical documentation from English to Hebrew and vice versa.

2005 - Performed translation services for Medical Computing, LTD, translating medical texts.

2005- Translator for the”Beit Gavriel” Magazine [New York].

2004-2007 – Columnist for Concealed Carry Magazine and Handguns and Revolvers Magazine (periodicals in the United States).

2006-2007 – Translator for Transtitles, LTD, ProText, LTD, and Airlines, Inc (a multinational telecommunications startup).

Kat Kanning

• Administrator
  • Enemy of the State
Re: A High-Pitched Cry of Desperation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:31 PM NHFT »

Good luck!  :D

(I moved your post to Business and Job networking section)

MicroBalrog

• Liberty Lover
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:38 PM NHFT »

Thanks. I suspect heavily I'm going to need it.

Raineyrocks

• Enemy of the State
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 04:38 PM NHFT »

What about posting all of that info on monster.com?  It seems like that might help too.

MicroBalrog

• Liberty Lover
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:43 PM NHFT »

Rainey, I tried Monster.com and a dozen different sites of the same form in the past, it didn't seem to have helped so far - I'm still in Israel. I'm going for the old-fasihoned 'social networks' angle - maybe some fellow libertarian will help me out. :(

Rosie the Riveter

• Freedom Fighter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:09 PM NHFT »

Currently a second-year student of History and English Studies  at TAU.

Have you considered coming here to start as a student? This local private university has a large and welcoming international population http://www.snhu.edu/

MicroBalrog

• Liberty Lover
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:17 PM NHFT »

I have considered it. However, tuition costs in SNHU per year are [hold your seat] ten times what I pay in Israel, and would swallow up my entire family's savings in one year exactly. So it's a job I'm after.

Raineyrocks

• Enemy of the State
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 06:30 PM NHFT »

Rainey, I tried Monster.com and a dozen different sites of the same form in the past, it didn't seem to have helped so far - I'm still in Israel. I'm going for the old-fasihoned 'social networks' angle - maybe some fellow libertarian will help me out. :(

I hope it works out for you.  :)

Braddogg

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49 PM NHFT »

Best of luck getting out of Israel.  I spent six months studying in Jerusalem at Hebrew U, and got quite a whiff of that political culture (especially getting to watch the collapse of Shinui).

Friday

• Shire Liberty News: spotlighting activism in New Hampshire
  • Insider
  • Enemy of the State
  • TANSTAAFL
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:54 PM NHFT »

What you need is called an H1B visa.  It's really hard to get a work-sponsored visa in the U.S. unless you are a technical person.  I would suggest using the website http://www.dice.com ; it's an IT-based jobs website and allows you to search for job openings by location.  Maybe you can use your combination of technical and multilingual background to get a job as a technical translator.

I also suggest not limiting yourself to looking for jobs in New Hampshire; include the greater Boston area and southern Maine in your search.  If you get a job in Massachusetts, you'll be stuck paying state income tax, but it's sure better than nothing.

Another option is to approach high-end hotels.  They are always hiring and would value someone who is multilingual and might possibly sponsor you, if you have a skillset that's otherwise hard to find.

Good luck!

MicroBalrog

• Liberty Lover
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 07:55 PM NHFT »

(especially getting to watch the collapse of Shinui).

Hehehe. I remember that one. :D

Rosie the Riveter

• Freedom Fighter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 09:22 PM NHFT »

I have considered it. However, tuition costs in SNHU per year are [hold your seat] ten times what I pay in Israel, and would swallow up my entire family's savings in one year exactly. So it's a job I'm after.

Holy Shit!! And I suppose you can't work to pay your own tuition.... if you can't work.....hummm

Braddogg

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 09:54 PM NHFT »

Yup.  That's because universities in Israel are very heavily tax-subsidized versus universities (even public universities) in the US.

MicroBalrog

• Liberty Lover
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 02:56 AM NHFT »

Holy Shit!! And I suppose you can't work to pay your own tuition.... if you can't work.....hummm

I think Student Visas have some regulations on that. Either way, I can't imagine studying AND earning $20,000 year for the tuition AND living expenses.

picaro

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 09:55 PM NHFT »

Is it possible to speak with a university counselor about exchange programs?  scholarships for foreign nationals?

I knew two German guys who had student visas while going to a 2-year trade school (much cheaper).

Are there any sanctuary cities for illegals in NH? 

Perhaps legal status in Canada as an intermediate step?  (it's 5 hours away)

Marriage?    (maybe that is too drastic)

ETA:

Try contacting an au pair agency.  If you're male, finding a family will be more difficult... but not impossible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:58 PM NHFT by picaro »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up