• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A High-Pitched Cry of Desperation

Started by MicroBalrog, September 19, 2007, 03:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MicroBalrog

So, here I am, an Israeli. Under US law, I can't immigrate before I find a job in America, and, obviously, if I want to live in America, I need a job there anyway. I have experience in working PC tech support (I did so as a civilian and for the IDF) and I have experience as working as a translator and a writer.  Aside from that, I can also take any form of unqualified labor ( I work as a rent-a-cop at an Israeli security company atm, and I've worked in a production line in a factory before, but of course those are just temp jobs and are not mentioned in my CV, it'd be bloated as hell if I mentioned any temporary jobs I had). And I know that there's at least some NH employers reading this.

I'm ready to work at any kind of wages – even the US minimum wage is significantly higher then the minimum wage in Israel, and if I get a job as a translator, writer, editor or tech support fellow, I get likely at least half a buck more then that.

I seriously dislike the political culture of the country I live in, and for too long, have felt powerless to change it.

I'm just one of those 'honest, hard-working immigrants that'd work for cheap'. I just don't know how all of those guys get American jobs, I don't even know were to start. So, yes, if there's an American with a business reading this – you can get a person who will happily work for cheap, I will get a US job. Even if you don't yourself own a business or work in HR, maybe you know someone who can help me out?

P.S. I am a member of the Free State Project and the 1st 1000. Other FSP members recommended I should post here.

Personal Details

Name: Boris Karpa
D.O.B: September 18th, 1984
Phone: 972-054-5508182
Email: microbalrog@gmail.com

Skills: Professional-level translator, English, Russian, and Hebrew.
Languages spoken: English , Russian, Hebrew.

Education:
Tabeetha School, Jaffa [British A-level examinations, with an average that was considered equivalent of 88 Bagrut average for the purpose of university admittance at TAU.]
Completed a Psychometric test [698]

Currently a second-year student of History and English Studies  at TAU.

Work Experience:

2001 - Worked in the technical support department of Mihshuv Refui, LTD [Medical Computing].

2001 - Worked as a freelance translator, specializing in technical texts.

2002 - Worked as a freelance translator, specializing in legal requests [Hebrew and Russian translations].

2002 – Performed localisation of Thepolyglots.com company website from English into Russian.

2003-2005 - Served in the Israel Defense Force as an armorer, system operator, and secretary. In conjunction with the former duties, I aided in translation of military tecnhical documentation from English to Hebrew and vice versa.

2005 - Performed translation services for Medical Computing, LTD, translating medical texts.

2005- Translator for the"Beit Gavriel" Magazine [New York].

2004-2007 – Columnist for Concealed Carry Magazine and Handguns and Revolvers Magazine (periodicals in the United States).

2006-2007 – Translator for Transtitles, LTD, ProText, LTD, and Airlines, Inc (a multinational telecommunications startup).

Kat Kanning

Good luck!  :D

(I moved your post to Business and Job networking section)

MicroBalrog

Thanks. I suspect heavily I'm going to need it.

Raineyrocks

What about posting all of that info on monster.com?  It seems like that might help too.

MicroBalrog

Rainey, I tried Monster.com and a dozen different sites of the same form in the past, it didn't seem to have helped so far - I'm still in Israel. I'm going for the old-fasihoned 'social networks' angle - maybe some fellow libertarian will help me out. :(

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 19, 2007, 03:21 PM NHFT

Currently a second-year student of History and English Studies  at TAU.

Have you considered coming here to start as a student? This local private university has a large and welcoming international population http://www.snhu.edu/

MicroBalrog

I have considered it. However, tuition costs in SNHU per year are [hold your seat] ten times what I pay in Israel, and would swallow up my entire family's savings in one year exactly. So it's a job I'm after.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 19, 2007, 03:43 PM NHFT
Rainey, I tried Monster.com and a dozen different sites of the same form in the past, it didn't seem to have helped so far - I'm still in Israel. I'm going for the old-fasihoned 'social networks' angle - maybe some fellow libertarian will help me out. :(

I hope it works out for you.  :)

Braddogg

Best of luck getting out of Israel.  I spent six months studying in Jerusalem at Hebrew U, and got quite a whiff of that political culture (especially getting to watch the collapse of Shinui).

Friday

What you need is called an H1B visa.  It's really hard to get a work-sponsored visa in the U.S. unless you are a technical person.  I would suggest using the website http://www.dice.com ; it's an IT-based jobs website and allows you to search for job openings by location.  Maybe you can use your combination of technical and multilingual background to get a job as a technical translator.

I also suggest not limiting yourself to looking for jobs in New Hampshire; include the greater Boston area and southern Maine in your search.  If you get a job in Massachusetts, you'll be stuck paying state income tax, but it's sure better than nothing.

Another option is to approach high-end hotels.  They are always hiring and would value someone who is multilingual and might possibly sponsor you, if you have a skillset that's otherwise hard to find.

Good luck!

MicroBalrog

Quote from: Braddogg on September 19, 2007, 05:49 PM NHFT
(especially getting to watch the collapse of Shinui).

Hehehe. I remember that one. :D

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 19, 2007, 04:17 PM NHFT
I have considered it. However, tuition costs in SNHU per year are [hold your seat] ten times what I pay in Israel, and would swallow up my entire family's savings in one year exactly. So it's a job I'm after.

Holy Shit!! And I suppose you can't work to pay your own tuition.... if you can't work.....hummm

Braddogg

Yup.  That's because universities in Israel are very heavily tax-subsidized versus universities (even public universities) in the US.

MicroBalrog

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on September 19, 2007, 08:22 PM NHFT

Holy Shit!! And I suppose you can't work to pay your own tuition.... if you can't work.....hummm

I think Student Visas have some regulations on that. Either way, I can't imagine studying AND earning $20,000 year for the tuition AND living expenses.

picaro

Is it possible to speak with a university counselor about exchange programs?  scholarships for foreign nationals?

I knew two German guys who had student visas while going to a 2-year trade school (much cheaper).

Are there any sanctuary cities for illegals in NH? 

Perhaps legal status in Canada as an intermediate step?  (it's 5 hours away)

Marriage?    (maybe that is too drastic)

ETA:

Try contacting an au pair agency.  If you're male, finding a family will be more difficult... but not impossible.