• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A High-Pitched Cry of Desperation

Started by MicroBalrog, September 19, 2007, 03:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Braddogg on September 19, 2007, 08:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 19, 2007, 04:17 PM NHFT
I have considered it. However, tuition costs in SNHU per year are [hold your seat] ten times what I pay in Israel, and would swallow up my entire family's savings in one year exactly. So it's a job I'm after.

Yup.  That's because universities in Israel are very heavily tax-subsidized versus universities (even public universities) in the US.

In the U.S., we heavily subsidize education too, but in the form of student loans. All that money being thrown at students in order to attend college distorts the market and drives costs up.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 20, 2007, 01:56 AM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on September 19, 2007, 08:22 PM NHFT
I have considered it. However, tuition costs in SNHU per year are [hold your seat] ten times what I pay in Israel, and would swallow up my entire family's savings in one year exactly. So it's a job I'm after.

Holy Shit!! And I suppose you can't work to pay your own tuition.... if you can't work.....hummm

I think Student Visas have some regulations on that. Either way, I can't imagine studying AND earning $20,000 year for the tuition AND living expenses.

Yeah, legally at least, you can't come here on a student visa and work, outside of specific programs for students such as "work study" programs.

Braddogg

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on September 20, 2007, 09:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: Braddogg on September 19, 2007, 08:54 PM NHFT

Yup.  That's because universities in Israel are very heavily tax-subsidized versus universities (even public universities) in the US.

In the U.S., we heavily subsidize education too, but in the form of student loans. All that money being thrown at students in order to attend college distorts the market and drives costs up.

Yup, I agree.  But the subsidization (including Stafford loans and stuff) is much higher in places like Israel.

KBCraig

Exactly. While MicrBalrog definitely knows the Israeli situation better than I do, I have to say he's underestimating the effect of tax money on U.S. tuition rates.

Braddogg

Heh, isn't it odd that the Israeli form of subsidy makes the billed cost of tuition plummet, while the American form of subsidy makes the billed cost of tuition skyrocket?

I'd like to think that once the government steps back from higher education, the cost will plummet.  But really, when you look back on the history of the world, only the rich received higher education.  Higher education seems more necessary now than in the past, though.  My presumption has always been that companies will step up and pay the tuition for students in exchange for a contract stipulating that the student will work with the company for X years or be compelled to pay the company the full cost of the education.  My guess is that it will be a very strong pull, and cost-effective for companies to do it.  It'll be a big draw for recruiting young talent.  It already works wonders for the military -- I nearly joined the military because it was offering to pay for college, and a handful of my friends ended up joining for that reason.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Braddogg on September 21, 2007, 02:23 AM NHFT
Heh, isn't it odd that the Israeli form of subsidy makes the billed cost of tuition plummet, while the American form of subsidy makes the billed cost of tuition skyrocket?

I'd like to think that once the government steps back from higher education, the cost will plummet.  But really, when you look back on the history of the world, only the rich received higher education.  Higher education seems more necessary now than in the past, though.  My presumption has always been that companies will step up and pay the tuition for students in exchange for a contract stipulating that the student will work with the company for X years or be compelled to pay the company the full cost of the education.  My guess is that it will be a very strong pull, and cost-effective for companies to do it.  It'll be a big draw for recruiting young talent.  It already works wonders for the military -- I nearly joined the military because it was offering to pay for college, and a handful of my friends ended up joining for that reason.

I agree the high tuition is a product of inflation, tons of government loans floating around, and increased demand due to poor education at the grades 6-12 level. It seems like a college degree today is like a high school diploma 30 years ago.

Lloyd Danforth

I can attest that todays degree sometimes does not hold up to 4 years of sleeping thru highschool and, almost, aceing the test for a GED, 40 years ago.

MicroBalrog

Israel owns the universities and charges the students about $2,500 per year while the actual costs per student are around $10,000-$15,000.

grasshopper

Try some tech companies like SCI SAMINA which is in Hungary and other places outside the cont us, or NEA Inc.  Fill out a resumae and see what you can get.  Some of the bigger companies are looking for translators on a temp basis, try a few temp businesses to get yout feet wet.
   That's all I can advise.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 22, 2007, 07:22 AM NHFT

Israel owns the universities and charges the students about $2,500 per year while the actual costs per student are around $10,000-$15,000.

Ah. That's the equivalent of our state universities (e.g., University of Massachusetts) in the U.S.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Braddogg on September 21, 2007, 02:23 AM NHFT

I think it's because whereas ours is partial, theirs sounds like a complete subsidy. In the U.S., some people get their education subsidized, and some don't, so you have market distortion; those not subsidized get to make up the difference. Over there the government just covers it all; there is no market on which the universities can try to make a profit.

David

I know I am not being very helpful, but keep trying. 
You may consider applying online directly at various usa companies.  Make it clear that you are serious about immigrating here, and prove that by offering yourself at a low wage for about a year, more or less.  That may lead to direct business sponsorship that can help you come here.  If it is in the manchester area, it is easier to find rental rooms, that are cheaper than regular rentals.  That of course is to help you keep your expenses down. 
Good luck, and I hope to meet you some day. :)

shuvom

MicroBalRog,

The company I work for is a regional leader in tech support for a 3-D CAD software called Solidworks.  Also, we support "Rapid Prototyping Machines" which basically print your 3D part out of plastic, so you can hold it in your hands in hours.  Very cool futuristic stuff, but accessible, affordable technology. 

Our website is www.capinc.com.  Look under the "About Us" link, and then "Careers".  We've just hired a few folks, but it doesn't hurt to apply for the job you think is a best fit for you, or even to ask for what's still open.

It's a small company, and my boss is a Free Stater, I am, the Rapid Prototyping tech is a Free Stater (who got his job through this sort of connection), and two of the sales folks are native Ron Paul supporters.  So a lot of freedom folks in one place. 

I can't put in a good work for you, (having never met you or seen you work), but it's a fun place to work, and I would recommend applying. 

Shuvom

jaqeboy

Quote from: MicroBalrog on September 19, 2007, 03:21 PM NHFT
...and I have experience as working as a translator and a writer.

... if I get a job as a translator, writer, editor

Rosetta Stone Associates is a big translating firm, including in tech materials. They are in Nashua, New-Hampshire. They are presently advertizing for clients in trade magazines, but don't know if they need translators. It'd be worth contacting them.

http://www.mv.com/biz/rosetta/

brief review of the company: http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/product-compint-0000693483-page.html