• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

SAK Arrested for Using Liberty Dollars

Started by FTL_Ian, September 20, 2007, 02:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Quote from: ThePug on September 24, 2007, 04:29 PM NHFT
You seriously get LD tips, though? Where do you work? I had no idea they were that widespread anywhere.
Have you been in New Hampshire much, to places frequented by Free-Staters? :)

I was at the Barley House in Concord a few months ago and one of the owners (apparently there are to co-owners?) asked about them and agreed to accept them at face value. It helped a lot that a bunch of the NHLA were there and pointing out that we like to come to the Barley House after recon missions at the House, and we prefer doing business at places that accept LD's.

I've heard (but was not there myself) that City Deli in Concord also accepts LD's, on the same basis -- so many FSPers (and friendly natives) were talking to the owner about them, he decided it would be silly to turn away the business.

ThePug

Quote from: d_goddard on September 26, 2007, 01:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: ThePug on September 24, 2007, 04:29 PM NHFT
You seriously get LD tips, though? Where do you work? I had no idea they were that widespread anywhere.
Have you been in New Hampshire much, to places frequented by Free-Staters? :)

Sadly, no. I'm going to try and come with KBCraig next time he goes to NH.

margomaps

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on September 26, 2007, 10:39 AM NHFTI have used a 1/2 oz silver Liberty dollar to pay for a bowl of chili and a latte.

Chili and a latte?  Now that's just crazy talk.  I could see getting some chili.  Or some latte.  But both at once?  <shakes head>

;)

OnGard4Liberty

The most recent post asks for financial help with their legal costs.

miamiballoonguy

ok

I've known about the liberty dollar for a while, but other than bartering for products and services, giving them oput as tips, etc, is there actually any type of creditor or bank that will accept them?  Unless I could pay my light bill or mortgage with them, then what good are they?

Anthony

hook

mvpel

Quote from: miamiballoonguy on October 25, 2007, 08:54 AM NHFTI've known about the liberty dollar for a while, but other than bartering for products and services, giving them oput as tips, etc, is there actually any type of creditor or bank that will accept them?  Unless I could pay my light bill or mortgage with them, then what good are they?

The banks are the principal opponents to alternative currencies, because they are the ones making enormous profits by creating money out of thin air, a process which the use of value-backed currency sharply limits.  So no, there's no bank that will accept them as a deposit or give them out as an alternative to a $10 or $20 Federal Reserve Note.

What good they serve is illustrated by a number of alternative currencies that have arisen over the years - wooden nickels, Nashua's "Downtown Dollars," "Ithaca Hours," etc.  By accepting as payment, and giving them out as change to willing customers, the value that the currency represents stays within the business community that accepts it, instead of being siphoned off to Toronto-Dominion BankNorth, or Citizens Royal Bank of Scotland, etc.

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: mvpel on October 25, 2007, 09:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: miamiballoonguy on October 25, 2007, 08:54 AM NHFTI've known about the liberty dollar for a while, but other than bartering for products and services, giving them oput as tips, etc, is there actually any type of creditor or bank that will accept them?  Unless I could pay my light bill or mortgage with them, then what good are they?

The banks are the principal opponents to alternative currencies, because they are the ones making enormous profits by creating money out of thin air, a process which the use of value-backed currency sharply limits.  So no, there's no bank that will accept them as a deposit or give them out as an alternative to a $10 or $20 Federal Reserve Note.

What good they serve is illustrated by a number of alternative currencies that have arisen over the years - wooden nickels, Nashua's "Downtown Dollars," "Ithaca Hours," etc.  By accepting as payment, and giving them out as change to willing customers, the value that the currency represents stays within the business community that accepts it, instead of being siphoned off to Toronto-Dominion BankNorth, or Citizens Royal Bank of Scotland, etc.

Fair Enough...  Any chance of there being an alternative bank that deals only with alternative currencies?  I doubt it, but we can all dream, can't we?

mvpel

Federal banking regulations would probably put a very quick kibosh on that idea.

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: mvpel on October 25, 2007, 10:35 AM NHFT
Federal banking regulations would probably put a very quick kibosh on that idea.

<sigh>

I wonder how that would change if Ron Paul were to win.  With the notion of competing currencies, some of these banking regulations would have to be lifted, don't you think?  I could see it now...  something like a credit union but backed by gold and silver or something else...

Another question, assuming that a competing currency is allowed...  how would the liberty dollar fit into this sort of scenario?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: miamiballoonguy on October 25, 2007, 09:57 AM NHFT
Quote from: mvpel on October 25, 2007, 09:52 AM NHFT

Fair Enough...  Any chance of there being an alternative bank that deals only with alternative currencies?  I doubt it, but we can all dream, can't we?

Whatever finally comes of this might:—
http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=9684.0

coffeeseven

Quote from: mvpel on October 25, 2007, 10:35 AM NHFT

Technically doesn't the Liberty Warehouse (Idaho?) count as a bank? It is a repository. So it's not a walk-in, FDIC or state licensed.

GOOD!!!!

I feel more confident I can get more value out of NORFED than I can from the FDIC banks.

As follows when (not if) the defecation does hit the rotary oscillator I'm going to be glad to be holding silver notes.  ;)