• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Range Building at Little Minnesota

Started by Ron Helwig, September 24, 2007, 10:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Rochelle on September 26, 2007, 10:32 PM NHFT
lol...
you know, I've heard that coffee actually tastes best when it's fresh...not when it's been sitting in the pot for 3 hours ;)

That's why I have a thermal carafe. It keeps it warm without needing heat constantly applied, so it doesn't get that burnt taste. (Just something for coffee fans to keep in mind when selecting a brewing system)

Ron Helwig

Quote from: freedominnh on September 27, 2007, 06:50 AM NHFT
Remind Otis I havegots a couple yards of diggin' sand(Relayed by his friend Dawg).

Yep, but we've been very busy. Otis has even been helping dig, although yesterday he was mostly lying in the cool dirt where we were trying to dig.  :)

If anyone has a pickup truck and wants to help, let me know. A trip out to the beach is nice at this time of year.

Bald Eagle

I've never been able to experience this oft-mentioned "burnt taste" that coffee supposedly acquires upon being continuously heated, or exposed to oxygen for more than a few hours.  I've come back out to my car where I left a cup of coffee sitting in Virginia's August heat, and it was just as hot or hotter than when I left it four hours before - and it still tasted just as good.

The only coffee I've ever drank that was burnt, was coffee made by inept food-court employees at University of Maryland who set the glass carafe onto the blazing hot heating element, then fiddled with the coffee maker until they finally got it all set up to start making coffee.  The first few drops predictably and instantaneously evaporated on the hot glass and subsequently charred, thus tainting the rest of the pot.  Idiots.  They couldn't just add a little bit of water to the carafe before setting it onto the element, could they.

I'll reheat a pot of coffee for 3 DAYS, and if it's good quality coffee, it seems to be perfectly fine.  For some reason it does taste different when I microwave it rather than just allow it to come back up to temp - I'm aware that microwaves allow different chemistries to take place than those promoted by strictly thermal energy -  but it's still not a "burnt" taste.

porcupine kate

Quote from: Bald Eagle on September 27, 2007, 10:35 AM NHFT
I've never been able to experience this oft-mentioned "burnt taste" that coffee supposedly acquires upon being continuously heated, or exposed to oxygen for more than a few hours.  I've come back out to my car where I left a cup of coffee sitting in Virginia's August heat, and it was just as hot or hotter than when I left it four hours before - and it still tasted just as good.

The only coffee I've ever drank that was burnt, was coffee made by inept food-court employees at University of Maryland who set the glass carafe onto the blazing hot heating element, then fiddled with the coffee maker until they finally got it all set up to start making coffee.  The first few drops predictably and instantaneously evaporated on the hot glass and subsequently charred, thus tainting the rest of the pot.  Idiots.  They couldn't just add a little bit of water to the carafe before setting it onto the element, could they.

I'll reheat a pot of coffee for 3 DAYS, and if it's good quality coffee, it seems to be perfectly fine.  For some reason it does taste different when I microwave it rather than just allow it to come back up to temp - I'm aware that microwaves allow different chemistries to take place than those promoted by strictly thermal energy -  but it's still not a "burnt" taste.

Keep in mind he worked in a stinky chemistry lab for ten years.  Not much bothers him. :hug45:
He'll just about anything; old coffee, really spicy anything, real(scary seafood) Chinese food, real (raw seafood, llama,and guinea pig)Peruvian food, and anything he hasn't tried.  He likes gin and tonics.  How can anyone drink something that smells like a Christmas tree.  The Islay scotch is pretty bad too.  It smells like someone left cigar ashes in old beer.  I just don't get him some times.
I love him to death I just can't help it.

Ron Helwig

dalebert

I'm coming today. I think Bill & Kate are too. I was hoping to get an earlier start but I woke up at like 3am and couldn't get back to sleep for some reason. I'm usually bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning.  :-\

Rochelle

I'm coming out there...as soon as I get out of bed...and eat...etc.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Rochelle on September 28, 2007, 10:27 AM NHFT
I'm coming out there...as soon as I get out of bed...and eat...etc.

Bill and Dale are both here now. We should make some good progress today...

(I'm on a short break)

KBCraig

Ron Helwig

I put up a chipin on my site, so those who would rather supply capital than labor may also participate. I estimated the amount and will adjust it when I check prices.

We did some more good work today, especially with Dale, Rochelle, Bill, and Kate coming over, with residents Carl and Ryan pitching in as well.

http://ronhelwig.com

Fluff and Stuff

I just gave $50.  I love MN and folks from MN.  I swear, yall must have bought me $50 work of booze at the little MN campsite at Porcfest 2006.  Also, Nik bought me drinks when I saw him in real MN this year.  While I may never get another chance to go back to real MN, I will certainly go to little MN  ;D

Ron Helwig

Quote from: sjhipple on September 28, 2007, 11:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Ron Helwig on September 28, 2007, 10:12 PM NHFT
I put up a chipin on my site, so those who would rather supply capital than labor may also participate. I estimated the amount and will adjust it when I check prices.

http://ronhelwig.com

Do contributors get "lifetime memberships" like people who work on the range?

You betcha!

Kate mentioned that she'd be soliciting donations at the next Taproom Tuesday as well.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on September 28, 2007, 11:51 PM NHFT
I just gave $50.  I love MN and folks from MN.  I swear, yall must have bought me $50 work of booze at the little MN campsite at Porcfest 2006.  Also, Nik bought me drinks when I saw him in real MN this year.  While I may never get another chance to go back to real MN, I will certainly go to little MN  ;D

Thank you, and come on by!

I really need to get to work on the official membership list. Maybe after today's "walk".

Rochelle

I can vouch with the fun-ness of this activity! Lots of chatter along with the work--though with such beautiful weather can you really call it that?--along with good food, and boat rides :)

I might come out again next wednesday---it depends how exhausted I am from my job by that point ;)

Rochelle

Don't forget about the Wilson Hill Pistol Club--oldest gun range/club in NH and Tony Lekas is heavily involved with it (FSP friend)