• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Sunday October 7 hiking trip Mt Osceola

Started by Dreepa, September 28, 2007, 11:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

I am thinking about taking a hike up Mt Osceola.
It would be about a 8 mile rountrip hike  with 2000 feet of elevation gain.  I won't be bring my trusty sidekick as I heard that the trail is not super kid friendly.

Anyone interested?

My plan would be to drive up early Sunday morning... hike... lunch at the top hang around (the peak is supposed to have great foliage views)... then hike down.

I am not a fast hiker but steady.

Dreepa

ok

Once people chime in (if they do)  we should figure on where everyone is and take as few cars as possible.

Vote Tyler Stearns

Hey Dreepa:

Are you an experienced hiker?  Osceola (4,326') is a Class 5 (most difficult) hike.  My husband's experience that he wanted to pass along is that there are some very rocky stretches from about 3/4 up to the summit...often have to use hands to pull yourself up. Dress appropriately because it could be very cold at the summit and there's no water. 

360 degree views from the top are AWESOME!  No views on the way up, though - just trees and rocks!

He suggested if you do Osceola you should also hike over to East Peak, which is across the ridge about a mile away. 

Cool things happening in the Valley 10/6-7 - Fall Foliage Festival, ski & snowboard swap, etc.  Check out the schedule of events here:  http://www.waterville.com/info/events/calendarevent.fall.item.asp?theme=summer

Since you're going to be in our neck of the woods...you're more than welcome to stop by our pad for some frosty cold beverages following your hike.  Sorry we can't join you...we're too lazy and out of shape (well...I am...hubbie just doesn't want to hike Osceola again!).

Dreepa

Quote from: malevil on September 28, 2007, 04:21 PM NHFT
Hey Dreepa:

Are you an experienced hiker?  Osceola (4,326') is a Class 5 (most difficult) hike.  My husband's experience that he wanted to pass along is that there are some very rocky stretches from about 3/4 up to the summit...often have to use hands to pull yourself up. Dress appropriately because it could be very cold at the summit and there's no water. 

360 degree views from the top are AWESOME!  No views on the way up, though - just trees and rocks!

He suggested if you do Osceola you should also hike over to East Peak, which is across the ridge about a mile away. 

Cool things happening in the Valley 10/6-7 - Fall Foliage Festival, ski & snowboard swap, etc.  Check out the schedule of events here:  http://www.waterville.com/info/events/calendarevent.fall.item.asp?theme=summer

Since you're going to be in our neck of the woods...you're more than welcome to stop by our pad for some frosty cold beverages following your hike.  Sorry we can't join you...we're too lazy and out of shape (well...I am...hubbie just doesn't want to hike Osceola again!).

Hmmm thanks.

Yeah I am pretty experienced.  Is it rock climbing crazy or just scrambling on rocks?
I will do some more reading on it.  I figured I wouldn't bring the 6 year old on this trip although he is a good hiker.

Vote Tyler Stearns

Not rock climbing, but some 'challenging' scrambling.  If you're an experienced hiker, then don't worry. 

Dreepa

Thanks.. I still will read about it thoroughly before I go... preplanning and all..

CNHT

Quote from: Dreepa on September 29, 2007, 07:28 PM NHFT
Thanks.. I still will read about it thoroughly before I go... preplanning and all..

What, you're skipping a party?   :P