• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Lauren kidnapped roadside by thugs Oct. 2nd

Started by les nessman, October 02, 2007, 11:54 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

EthanAllen

Quote from: DadaOrwell on October 24, 2007, 09:19 PM NHFT
ok just uploaded today's video report about lauren, which is kind of experimental and different from the others

http://youtube.com/RidleyReport

The "ski area" in Andover that you filmed is the ski jumping hill at Proctor Academy.

FTL_Ian

Good job, Dave.  I was jonesing for a Ridley Report with some substance!  (Not that I have anything against leaf peeping)

I thought it was a good executive summary of Lauren's situation.

FTL_Ian

What will you do if the bureaucrats don't call you back?  Show up at their office with the camera?

Dave Ridley

no, i doubt i will go hunt the bureaucrats with my camera.  i don't go out of my way hardly at all to do ridley reports...not yet. 

i think it's important to start super small and just go places I would have gone anyway.   that way there are few expenses.  as i get more revenue i'll be able to justify more effort. 

i wont be upset if they dont call back; I'll just report that they didn't call back. 

Which will just raise the question...
Marshal monier calls back, why can't they?

Kat Kanning

ok just uploaded today's video report about lauren, which is kind of experimental and different from the others

Beautiful tribute, Dave.

coffeeseven

I like the slower pace and documentary style. I half expected to hear "now you will see Jim administrating the anestha-dart to the government rhinoceros".

All kidding aside very, very well done.

KBCraig

The current installment of "LaMuse" reminds me of Lauren.  :)

http://bigheadpress.com/lamuse?page=168

(Read through p.170 to understand why it reminds me of Lauren. ;D )

Oh, and if you haven't read this comic, I highly recommend it. It's the same people who turned The Probability Broach into a graphic novel. If you don't want to start at the beginning, the short version is that Susan LaMuse and her sister Libby are aliens who have taken human form. Libby tries to live a conventional life, while Susan is something more of a free spirit. ;) She bops around the world curing AIDS, stopping racism, ending hunger, etc., all with unintended consequences similar to "Bruce Almighty". The PTB who depend on such strife in the world are out to shut her down.

Updates of a page or two every Monday-Wednesday-Friday. The artwork for the online edition isn't always the final version. Sometimes it's obviously unfinished. Still a fascinating story, though!

Russell Kanning

"This time she's refusing leave a New London"

to leave?

RattyDog

I hope she knows she's not forgotten. I hope she's not scared or lonely...I hope she's well fed and feeling well.

You guys....how is it even legal that she is still being held? It's been three weeks...that seems, wrong..and more than just in my gut, I feel like that violates the basic laws of this land. I feel like she is being punished for not bowing to the "mighty system". That's what this is, isn't it?

I will be there on the 5th of November. Newbury Comics, on South Willow in Manchvegas has V masks and some other good dissenters gear.

I just can't understand this. I still just can't understand how it is possible that she is still there. Can anyone speak to her? Has anyone tried? I suppose they won't allow her any phone calls because she's "uncooperative".  :'(

Can we go and demand to see her? I hope she heard the music that was played for her. I hope she knows that people are thinking about her.

EJinCT

Well done Sir, as usual.  ;) Nice alternative to real-time news coverage.

Respectfully; the script is very well written, but the dialog cadence is a bit off-time with the video. :blush:

Michael Fisher

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/NEWS01/310250118/-1/news

Free-Stater still jailed after arrest
By HATTIE BERNSTEIN, Telegraph Staff
Nashua Telegraph

MILFORD – Lauren Canario, the Winchester woman who refused to cooperate with police during a routine traffic stop earlier this month, remains jailed.

Canario, 50, a member of the Free State Project, has been incarcerated since the incident Oct. 2 and is being held at Hillsborough County Department of Corrections in Manchester.

Meanwhile, state Department of Transportation officials on Tuesday removed a sign reading "FREE LAUREN" from the site of her arrest.

The sign violated state law that prohibits posting signage on any state right-of-way. Such postings distract drivers and pose a safety risk, according to DOT spokesman Bill Boynton.

The video of her arrest by Milford police, made by her husband, Jim Johnson, has become a popular video on YouTube.com. It has been viewed more than 5,700 times since it was posted two weeks ago.

"I commend my officers for the way they handled this," police Chief Fred Douglas told The Telegraph during a telephone interview Wednesday. "They were professional and sensitive, and they also had a job to do, to uphold the laws of the state."

Canario was not arraigned because she refused to speak after she was taken to Milford District Court, according to Douglas. District Court Judge Martha Crocker ordered her to jail.

Douglas said the incident wasn't the first he's seen in his police career, although the videotaping was new, as was the sign posted on the state road.

"They had similar beliefs," Douglas said, referring to arrests he witnessed in the early 1980s. "The bottom line is laws are set up for a purpose, and if everybody acted like that, it would be a very different state to live in."

The Free State Project is an effort to bring 20,000 people to New Hampshire who agree with their statement of intent, "government exists at most to protect people's rights, and should neither provide for people nor punish them for activities that interfere with no one else."

Free Staters believe they should not have to pay taxes, register their cars or apply for driver's licenses.

Police officer George Durham stopped Canario after clocking her vehicle traveling at 72 miles per hour on Route 101A west, according to court documents.

When the officer went to the passenger side of Canario's yellow Isuzu and knocked on the window, a male passenger turned a video camera on him and rolled down the window.

While Durham requested Canario's license and registration, the passenger continued to train his camera on the officer, recording Canario saying she had neither a license nor vehicle registration.

The driver refused to respond to any further questions, prompting the police officer to call for assistance.

When a second officer arrived on the scene, the colleagues attempted to open the driver's door, which was locked.

Canario was told she was under arrest for disobeying a police officer, and according to the video and court documents, was asked to get out of her car.

She refused to speak to the officers and went limp. As a result, the officers alternately carried and dragged her to the cruiser, according to court documents.

After she was removed her from the car, she was handcuffed and checked for weapons.

A police check revealed Canario's driver registration had expired and her license was suspended.

She has been charged with disobeying a police officer, resisting arrest, driving after suspension, speeding and operating an unregistered vehicle.

Bail was set at $10,000, but because Canario refused to speak at her arraignment, she was returned to jail where she has been held for the past 22 days.

As of Wednesday, the Milford District Court had not set another court date. It is anticipated one will be set within the next week.

Douglas said the court will be the final arbiter.

"They can go to court and plead their case, and let the judicial system make that decision," the police chief said.

Michael Fisher

dalebert

Another cartoon about Lauren has been posted at http://anarchyinyourhead.com . Some people need to contact the telegraph and tell them that their broad statement about FSPers is incorrect. It applies to some of us but definitely not all 20,000. Maybe we should put them in touch with Jason so he can explain their mistaken assumptions.

dalebert

Quote from: Michael Fisher on October 25, 2007, 10:33 AM NHFT
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071025/NEWS01/310250118/-1/news

Free-Stater still jailed after arrest
By HATTIE BERNSTEIN, Telegraph Staff
Nashua Telegraph

The Free State Project is an effort to bring 20,000 people to New Hampshire who agree with their statement of intent, "government exists at most to protect people's rights, and should neither provide for people nor punish them for activities that interfere with no one else."

Free Staters believe they should not have to pay taxes, register their cars or apply for driver's licenses.

The statement in bold applies to me and a number of FSPers I know, but it's glaringly incorrect to apply this to all FSPers. There are 7800 official signers and probably a number of others considering it and I'm sure they don't all share that sentiment. I called the paper and left a message for Hattie Bernstein suggesting that she contact Jason Sorens and offering to assist her in getting in touch with him if she's going to make statements about the FSP. I suggest others call her as well.

EDIT: Dave was just suggesting to me that we don't barrage her with angry phone calls because we don't want to discourage media coverage, even if it's not 100% accurate. My call wasn't angry. I just pointed out the mistake and offered to help her get in touch with Jason. Let's see if we can use this to get yet more coverage and perhaps more accurate coverage. Maybe she'll call me back. Dave referred me to an article at the FSP website about dealing with the media. I'll read it soon when I get a chance and I recommend others do too.

mvpel

QuoteThe sign violated state law that prohibits posting signage on any state right-of-way. Such postings distract drivers and pose a safety risk, according to DOT spokesman Bill Boynton.

Selective enforcement is a hallmark of tyranny.