• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Closing its primaries!

Started by ibedi, October 04, 2007, 12:30 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ibedi

I don't believe in the republican and democratic clubs. If there's a club, it's just Americans. I should be able to vote for whomever/whatever I wish. Let the chips fall where they may.

KBCraig

Quote from: ibedi on October 05, 2007, 02:06 AM NHFT
I don't believe in the republican and democratic clubs.

You don't have to believe in gravity, but it's going to exist whether you like it or not.

QuoteI should be able to vote for whomever/whatever I wish.

Welcome to NH, where you can register "undeclared" like 60% of the rest of the population, and then vote for whomever you wish. But you have to pretend, at least temporarily, to be a member of a party before helping choose that party's nominee. Primaries shouldn't be held by the government, but so long as they are, the party gets to choose how it selects its nominees.

ny2nh

I don't believe in the republican and democratic clubs. If there's a club, it's just Americans. I should be able to vote for whomever/whatever I wish. Let the chips fall where they may.

You CAN vote for whomever you wish.....but if you opt to not join any particular party, then you don't get to vote in THEIR selection of THEIR candidate. In NH, it is only Republican and Democrat - in other states they have more parties to choose from. But that is only the primary elections - which is party-orientated. In the general election, you can vote for absolutely anyone you wish regardless of who the different parties have chosen as THEIR nominee.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: KBCraig on October 05, 2007, 05:52 AM NHFT
I don't believe in the republican and democratic clubs.

You don't have to believe in gravity, but it's going to exist whether you like it or not.

The law of gravity is part of nature. Whatever RSA it is that defines political parties is not.

BaRbArIaN

I just went down to the Somersworth clerk, and since I was officially "Undeclared" she said I could go in that day and pick one or the other ballot in the primary election no problem.  So unless they are setting us up for a flim-flam of epic proportions, it should work out.   If anyone has any hint that they may outlaw independent voters before or after the 10/12 deadline I hope they speak up.

CNHT

Quote from: BaRbArIaN on October 09, 2007, 10:21 AM NHFT
I just went down to the Somersworth clerk, and since I was officially "Undeclared" she said I could go in that day and pick one or the other ballot in the primary election no problem.  So unless they are setting us up for a flim-flam of epic proportions, it should work out.   If anyone has any hint that they may outlaw independent voters before or after the 10/12 deadline I hope they speak up.

If you are on my list, then you got email to this effect.

Some people across the nation are freaking out, thinking the GOP have 'closed' the primary.
The NH GOP has NOTHING to do with it, it's the Sec. of State and all he did was set the date for the primary, which then determined the date for registration.

Nothing has changed in NH.

If people are wary that for some reason it might, then the simple solution is to register R, you can always change to I after if that really bothers you that much.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: CNHT on October 09, 2007, 11:44 AM NHFT
Quote from: BaRbArIaN on October 09, 2007, 10:21 AM NHFT

If you are on my list, then you got email to this effect.

Some people across the nation are freaking out, thinking the GOP have 'closed' the primary.
The NH GOP has NOTHING to do with it, it's the Sec. of State and all he did was set the date for the primary, which then determined the date for registration.

Nothing has changed in NH.

If people are wary that for some reason it might, then the simple solution is to register R, you can always change to I after if that really bothers you that much.

Can you PM me the email please?  I'm registered undeclared too and I want to make sure I'll be able to change to republican at the primaries.  I thought that's just the way it's done and then I can change back to undeclared like I did last year. :-\

error

If you're undeclared you don't have to do anything except show up at the primaries.

CNHT

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 09, 2007, 12:58 PM NHFT
Can you PM me the email please?  I'm registered undeclared too and I want to make sure I'll be able to change to republican at the primaries.  I thought that's just the way it's done and then I can change back to undeclared like I did last year. :-\

You're fine --- but if you're really worried, then go register Republican....then there is no question.
Some will not take our word for it.

Oh I know they don't trust, so, that's how to get around it with no uncertainty.

Raineyrocks

Raineyrocks

By the way, do you like my avatar Jane?  I was thinking of you when I found the avatar because I just know how much you love Hillary, (not)! ;D