• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Closing its primaries!

Started by ibedi, October 04, 2007, 12:30 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ibedi

I just read this online. Several states, including New Hampshire have taken action to close their primaries. In other words, you must be registered republican to vote for Ron Paul in the primary. Here's an article about it:

http://www.gambling911.com/Ron-Paul-New-Voting-Rules-100307.html

ThePug

If you're a registered independent you can still change party affiliation at the door, and change it again on the way out. You only have to re-register by Oct. 12 if you're already registered as a member of another party. That's my understanding of it anyways. Since the vast majority of NH voters are registered independent, I don't think this will really hurt Paul much.

ibedi

Here's the paragraph mentioning NH in the article:

Many states, in an effort to shut out Ron Paul are now closing their primaries.  That means that only Republicans can vote in the Presidential primaries for a Republican candidate.  Many states are doing this quickly and quietly and giving people very little time to learn about the new rules.  For example,  New Hampshire decided only a week ago that you will now have to change your party affiliation by October 12, 2007 or it will be too late to do so. New Hampshire also has a closed primary and only Republicans and possibly Independents will be allowed to vote for Ron Paul.

So, "possibly." I'm just saying it's worth checking out.

Rocketman

Undeclared voters can certainly vote for Ron Paul in the New Hampshire primary.  The Oct. 12 deadline only affects registered Democrats who would want to vote in the Republican primary.

ny2nh

Quote from: ibedi on October 04, 2007, 03:06 AM NHFT
Here's the paragraph mentioning NH in the article:

Many states, in an effort to shut out Ron Paul are now closing their primaries.  That means that only Republicans can vote in the Presidential primaries for a Republican candidate.  Many states are doing this quickly and quietly and giving people very little time to learn about the new rules.  For example,  New Hampshire decided only a week ago that you will now have to change your party affiliation by October 12, 2007 or it will be too late to do so. New Hampshire also has a closed primary and only Republicans and possibly Independents will be allowed to vote for Ron Paul.

So, "possibly." I'm just saying it's worth checking out.

NH isn't doing anything to shut out Ron Paul or any other candidate from the primary. The rules this year are the same as they have been - anyone who wishes to change party affiliation must do so by 10/12. That means any Democrat who would like to switch to Republican or any Republican who would like to switch to Democrat. Undeclareds are not affiliated with a party so it doesn't effect them. This is nothing new. All it does is keep people from the one party voting in the other party's primary at the last minute.

J’raxis 270145

This is more than just the deadlines for Ds to switch to Rs in order to vote in the R primary. The article is talking about how some states are now trying to lock out independents from primaries, too.

cathleeninnh

If I make no committment to support a party, why should I be allowed to help determine who they put on the ballot?

Cathleen

toowm

Quote from: cathleeninnh on October 04, 2007, 10:18 AM NHFT
If I make no committment to support a party, why should I be allowed to help determine who they put on the ballot?
Cathleen
Because in order to get their candidates elected, they need both the party "faithful" and those that can go either way. While they don't want staunch Democrats voting in their primary, ignoring the significant (>50%) group of independents would greatly hurt their chances in the general election.

mvpel

The reason New Hampshire is moving quickly is because of the challenges to our first-in-the-nation primary status by other states.

CNHT

Quote from: mvpel on October 04, 2007, 11:08 AM NHFT
The reason New Hampshire is moving quickly is because of the challenges to our first-in-the-nation primary status by other states.

This has been so misrepresented. They are NOT closing their primaries that I know of.

It has always been that you must be either I or R to vote for GOP.

So why not just check now? The hurry is due to the fact they did not know when the primary would be....

A few weeks ago on 9/11 I advised everyone to check their registration status regardless of when Bill Gardner was going to set the date for the primary, JUST TO BE SAFE, and a lot of people brushed me off.

http://newhampshireunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=10715.0

Meanwhile, it turned out you had 31 days to do this.

My recommendation still stands: make a phone call to the supervisor of the checklist in your town and find out what you are registered as if you really want to be able to vote on primary day for Ron Paul.

ny2nh

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on October 04, 2007, 09:04 AM NHFT
This is more than just the deadlines for Ds to switch to Rs in order to vote in the R primary. The article is talking about how some states are now trying to lock out independents from primaries, too.

I really don't have a problem with only those registered as republicans voting in the Republican primary and those registered as Democrats voting in the Democrat primary.....because they are the respective party's primaries. If someone chooses to not be a member of any particular primary, they should not necessarily expect to be able to vote in that party's primary to select that party's nominee. It would not be infringing on anyone right to vote - they just wouldn't be able to participate in the party's choice of a nominee.

dalebert

Quote from: ny2nh on October 04, 2007, 11:48 AM NHFT
It would not be infringing on anyone right to vote - they just wouldn't be able to participate in the party's choice of a nominee.

Choosing who we get to choose from is probably a lot more important than the general election. Once you're down to two choices- shit taco or giant douche, your vote REALLY stops meaning much.

cathleeninnh

That is just accepting the two party restriction. Ballot access for alternative parties is the real fight. Otherwise we will always have tweedle dum and tweedle dee.

Cathleen

Dreepa

Cathleen I agree with you 100%.. if I am not a member of the club how can I vote for the club president... also I think that the gov should also be out of the deal running the primaries as well.

However... all the talk on the internet about how the GOP is blocking RP.... is bullshit (at least in NH)... hype.  I have been trying to spread the word but it is spitting in the ocean.

CNHT

Quote from: Dreepa on October 04, 2007, 08:51 PM NHFT
Cathleen I agree with you 100%.. if I am not a member of the club how can I vote for the club president... also I think that the gov should also be out of the deal running the primaries as well.

However... all the talk on the internet about how the GOP is blocking RP.... is bullshit (at least in NH)... hype.  I have been trying to spread the word but it is spitting in the ocean.

The campaign sent out clarification on this and it's just what we've been saying.

(+1 for the word BS for you dreep, LOL)