• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Open carry keeps the peace at once troubled NH bar

Started by Dave Ridley, October 04, 2007, 08:03 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

FTL_Ian

The Ridley Report is awesome, Dave; thank you for doing it, and keep it going!

lildog

Dave, I "borrowed" your report for an article on NH Insider (I linked to your report and gave you credit of course).

But what amazes me is how people fear the idea of guns being in a place that serves beer.  Jump over to NH Insider and read some of the comments posted, quite interesting.

What shocked me the most though was the suggestion that if you give the pope a gun and enough beer he too may become a danger.  I'm sorry, I don't buy it for two reasons...

1) Nearly every legal gun owner I know tends to be a more responsible person.  This goes ten fold when they are carrying.  I haven't meet one yet who would allow themselves to get into a state where they could no longer control their own actions.

2) I don't believe beer would cause anyone to do something they would never do otherwise.  If you were violent to start, then yes beer may help bring out your violence but a good honest person would not go on a shooting rampage simply because of a few beers.  One poster even implied the pope would be someone to worry about if drunk.  All I could think of was the movie Reefer Madness.

specter34

Quote from: lildog on October 08, 2007, 02:16 PM NHFT
Dave, I "borrowed" your report for an article on NH Insider (I linked to your report and gave you credit of course).

But what amazes me is how people fear the idea of guns being in a place that serves beer.  Jump over to NH Insider and read some of the comments posted, quite interesting.

What shocked me the most though was the suggestion that if you give the pope a gun and enough beer he too may become a danger.  I'm sorry, I don't buy it for two reasons...

Of course these people probably have no problem downing a couple martinis and driving home, so what's more dangerous?  A gun in a holster+2 beers, or 5,000 lbs of rolling steel + two drinks?

Puke

Do they not realize that some people do not drink to get "shit-faced"?
I don't; I sure would not while carrying.

lildog

Quote from: Puke on October 08, 2007, 02:48 PM NHFT
Do they not realize that some people do not drink to get "shit-faced"?
I don't; I sure would not while carrying.

My point exactly.  I don't know a single person who carries who allows themselves to be put in a situation where they can no longer control their own actions.

Fragilityh14

one of my friends has recently been open carrying in the house pretty frequently, which is entirely unnecessary being as we live in a small town, however, since he will most likely move to NH with me, I'm very about him being used to the gun being there. (Even if it seems ridiculous in the circumstances). (incidentally said person just got a sweet new Glock .40 which he will (theoretically) not be carrying around the house unnecessarily. But it doesn't really concern me at all because it is pretty much always in holster, no one else plays with it or jokes around with it (this hasn't been an issue for obvious reasons).

I love that video and will show people ^_^

Bald Eagle

I just got an email from one of my friends in Virginia mentioning Dave's video on OpenCarry.org.

What we do in the Free State echoes throughout America.

lildog

I have to share one of the comment put on the article I wrote up about this story of Dave's.

http://www.nhinsider.com/richard-barnes/what-does-booze-and-guns-get-you.html

"If you really believe that violence is so wrong why carry weapons..........." Bob Bruce

The poster Bob claims to be a police officer (he was offended when I referred to him as a cop).  Is he admitting that cops are in turn violent because they carry weapons?  I've asked him twice now in response to that comment and I only get comments in return like the following:

Really shows you don't do your homework richard.

and from someone support his view:

Cheap shot and dead wrong, Richard. Bob was a police officer for the town of Wilton for several years. he knows a hell of a lot more about firearms and the potential for their misuse than your merry band of Ayn Rand quoting software nerds ever could.

Interesting!

d_goddard

ancapagency

Guess I don't count--as I am neither a "software nerd" nor do I often quote Ayn Rand.  I do occasionally have a drink while carrying--A DRINK (Gasp! Horror!  Violence must surely ensue!).  Sometimes even two, if I'm there for a long time.  Of course, not being a statist, I have a few things going for me they don't:

1) I don't have poor impulse control.  Unlike all these statist goons out there, I dont act on every little whim that passes thru my brain--nor am I at all inclined to do so.  This means that even if I did have the passing thought about the possibility of going on a drunken rampage, it never even comes close to engaging any muscles.

2) I don't have a weak constitution.  Unlike these statist wusses, I can actually hold my alcohol--that is, I can drink something more than a wine cooler and still actually maintain control of my senses.  Apparently something in those government school lunches or something reacts to alcohol in such a way as to decrease the tolerance level of statists--or so I must assume.  It sure as hell isn't a tolerance level built up by constant use in my case--the 1 or (every-so-often) 2 drinks I have on Taproom Tuesday is the only alcohol I consume these days. 

3)  I don't feel a need to blame my actions on anyone or anything other than myself.  Thus, if I DO do something wrong, or make some mistake, you can rest assured that I won't blame it on alcohol, or guns, or some other inanimate object; nor will I blame it on any "vast right-wing conspiracy" or "evil corporate polluters" or "bed-wetting liberals" or Nancy Pelosi or some such.  I determine my actions, and therefore, if I do something wrong, it's my fault, and it's up to me to make restitution or take whatever other steps are needed to correct my wrong.  It must be pretty hard to live an enjoyable life when you have no control of yourself, and you are merely the puppet of the objects and such you happen to come into contact with every day.

I'm sure there are other differences between myself and these poor statists--perhaps something genetic--I'm thinking "week seed" or something.  But I'm no biologist, or software nerd, or journalist, or police ossifer. 

toowm

Following the logic of that thread, anyone with diabetes should not carry (chance of low blood sugar confusing them), anyone on prescription medication should not carry (frequent side effect is changed mood), anyone who has ever watched an R rated movie should not carry (Jack Thompson says it changes you).

The general public just doesn't understand rights: they either think they are granted from the government, or that they let you do whatever you want. In reality, you get your rights from being human, and every right comes with responsibility. Drinking is a right that some people can't handle responsibly. Having the potential for deadly force is a right that some people can't handle responsibly. In neither case can you take away the right of someone to drink or carry unless they are on your own property. I think you should also base such a restriction on previous irresponsible actions, not words.

KBCraig

lildog

Quote from: KBCraig on October 10, 2007, 10:07 PM NHFT
I think I managed to shut Chaz up.  :o

Nope, now he's posting his number asking you to call him  :o

I've tried to get him to show up at a tap room Tuesday some night but he keeps saying no.

By the way he has admitted in the past to being a former drug addict and alcoholic.  That explains his irrationality toward booze. 

hmmm maybe that's why he refuses to meet up in a bar?   ;D

grasshopper

:D  Ya, I never go out covered in crap from head to toe with my gun, I wait until my psychotic episodes reside to my other self to plot murdering kittens and partying with knomes!
   I do like that english beer at Murps though!  The safest place in town! ;D